News Rene the Roughrider

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

What moron at the league office was responsible for this little gaffe? :rolleyes:

Paredes suffers identity crisis

REGINA — Despite what his CFL Most Outstanding Special Teams Player award says, Rene Paredes is not a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
    Imagine the 28-year-old Calgary Stampeders kicker’s surprise when someone pointed out the error Thursday night at Gibson’s Finest CFL Player Awards. The trophy awarded to him as the top special teams player in the country has his name engraved correctly but the wrong team is listed underneath it.
    “Where it is supposed to say ‘Calgary Stampeders,’ it says ‘Saskatchewan Roughriders.’
    “They told me they’re going to send me a new name-tag,” Paredes said. “They’re going to mail it to my house, and I gotta take it somewhere and change it.”

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/11/23/calgary-stampeders-kicker-im-not-a-member-of-the-roughriders

Jeezus H, can this league get nothing right? :bag:

Despite its obvious zeal to place a Roughrider tag on everything it does, you'd expect something better from the CFL when the issue revolves around its pinnacle awards event...

Apparently not.

No wonder the little league north of the 49th suffers from a tarnished image...:rage:

TM

Tags:
    oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  2. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

I would think the company that did the engraving is based in Regina ..... Or an avid Rough Rider fan playing a joke.
    Would you say the CFL has been punked?

3. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Pretty pathetic I hope the league takes action against the company responsible.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Local company or not, the league still gets to take responsibility for what it contracts with suppliers to provide.

I'm sure, to be safe, it ordered name plates for each nominee.

Did nobody on behalf of the CFL perform any advance quality control over what was delivered to make sure no one would be embarrassed at the presentation?

But, hey, in a league where drafted players can be mouldering in a grave for 4 months at the time of their selection, why not engrave the wrong team on a winning player's award?

TM

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Another faux pas by the league. Just like the officiating, inconsistent and inept.

6. oilpatchhilbily

To be honest, surprised it didn't say Toronto...[/quote]

7. duncan_MIA

duncan_MIA Member

[/quote]

Rider green is the CFL's version of the Maple Leafs. Always talked about, always force fed down everyone's throats.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the site Duncan!

And yes, I'm sure even the league's own stationery will soon look something like this: "Canadian Football League"....;)

TM

9. Rids

Rids Member

With TSN losing hockey for a dozen years perhaps TSN will soon stand for The Saskatchewan Network.

10. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

... and here I thought that TSN stood for The Toronto (everything) Network. When did TSN become the unofficial??? owners/promoters of the Saskatchewan Roughriders? ;)

What a "revolting development". :eek: