Report: Iginla Traded!!! To the Boston Penguins?

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

It looks like this is rumor no more. As the old saying goes, where there's smoke there's fire. Well, Boston just went from smoking to picking up the biggest (Calgary) Flame of them all.

Yes, according to NHL.com, Iginla has been traded to the Boston Bruins.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6624 ... L|NHL|home

Assuming this report is accurate, this is a bittersweet day in Flames history. It's sad to see him go. Virtually my entire adult life as a hockey fan has been spent cheering him on. He's been a great ambassador for the city. At the same time, this team needs to look to the future and Iginla, he needs to win a cup. Hopefully this deal will help both.

UPDATE: It looks like that first report was false and Iginla has actually been traded to the Penguins!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6624 ... L|NHL|home

Which is unfortunate because the returns that were first reported in the supposed Boston deal seemed much better than what they appear to have gotten from the Penguins. Which is to say, not much.

Once again, that's if this report is actually accurate...

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

RE: Report: Iginla Traded!!!

Nope, not Boston. PITTSBURGH!! For two prospects & a first rounder. Wild night.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Wild night indeed. It's too bad though, I liked the Boston deal better. Is that seriously the best they could get for him?

It seems to me that Dallas got more from Pittsburgh for Brendan Morrow. I mean the Morrow they got back from the Pens (Joe Morrow) was a blue chip defense prospect. All we got was a low end first round pick and some no-name prospects. Iginla and Morrow are about the same age but Iginla is potentially capable of making a far greater impact. I don't really get it.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

I may be reading into things here, but it sounds as though Iginla may have steered things away from Boston and towards the Penguins at the end.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think Iggy probably had final say and wanting to work with Crosby was the deciding factor. Boston could use the guy more, thats obvious. But when Jarome walks into the Pittsburgh room he'll be instantly accepted cuz Captain God (Sid) says so.

Sid is obviously my favourite current NHL player and ranks rather highly in my career list with - Bobby Hull, Bobby Baun, Doug Harvey, Anders Hedberg, Lars Erik Sjoberg, Ulf Nilson, Terry Sawchuk, Boom Boom Geoffrion, Rocket Richard, Ken Dryden, Serge Savard, Larry Robinson, Dave Keon, Ducky Hawerchuk.

With Sid banking pucks in off Iggy's arse, his face, helmet, knees, etc. Iggy might actualy re-jig his career and play 3 more years.

DID FLAMES GET ENOUGH?

2 NCAA Prospects? Pretty good guys! But one of them better be near all-star within 2 or 3 years and the other better be a solid roster players.
    The Flames get the Pens #1 draft pick this year - thats probably the #28 to #30 guy overall - maybe get a nice goaler into the system.

In other words, the trade helps the Pens in the next year to three. If Iggy runs out of gas next year, the Flames clearly win, if just for the extra draft pick and clearing 7 million of salary cap space.

Flames clearly win if Iggy wins a Cup in Pittsburgh - scores 40 goals with Sid next year but the two NCAA gringos arrive and help Flames to playoffs. The #1 pick is nice but at the end of first round, not great. I would have buggered up the Pens for their 2nd round pick in 2014, too!

At least Fatty Arbuckler (Feaster) got SOMETHING DONE!!!
    GM in Vancouver has been trying to foist Roberta Lu on someone and they won't get close to what Flames got for Iggy Stooge. Not even close!!!

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

My pittsburghian contact is thrilled beyond words.

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Jarome Iginla press conference to start any moment.

Live streaming on TSN.ca - will be tough to watch.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

And why not?

Pittsburgh just received a tremendous asset without having to pay anything for it.

"Trade Iginla and get the building blocks needed to start Calgary's rebuild", my ass!

I knew we'd only get junk once the process started.

Trade out the "Face of the Franchise" only to become the "Faceless Franchise"...

Well, after 16 years on the club, if you can trade Iginla, you can trade anybody on the roster.

Burn the friggin' thing to the ground already.

And torch the front office along with everything else while they're at it.

Just don't expect anything of value coming back, Flames fans. ;)

As a loyal 33 year follower of this club, the Flames have now managed to "burn" me one too many times.

I'm done giving a shit about what this franchise does anymore, or even what happens in the NHL, for that matter.

An "entertainment product" which no longer entertains.

I've other ways to spend my time.

Maybe in southern climes where "hockey" is unknown and doesn't matter....say, somewhere like...Phoenix.

TM

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The only thing I like better about the Pens deal is the fact we have a definite first rounder coming our way. The Boston deal was a first rounder conditional upon Iggy signing a long term deal whereas the Pens give us a definite 1st round pick. That one Russian player in the AHL I think would have been a great addition from the Bruins so 6 of 1 & half a dozen of the other. Sad day indeed Iggy leaving. But has to be done. Just wish it was 2 years ago... We would have got a much better deal. I hope Jarome wins the Cup. Go Iggy!

10. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

The Bruins deal was worse in the sense that we would have received some 24 year old D man who has proved nothing.

Sure, the top player from the Bruins deal may have turned out better, but I prefer the Pens return.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Biggest losers in this trade were Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger, the two TSN insiders. So much for inside information. Heard a Pittsburgh reporter on radio this aft. who said he knew it would be Pittburgh or bust (stay in Calgary).

Not to exempt Sportsnet, they also got it wrong.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nah, it was Aaron Ward. He looked like a buffoon.