Post Game Reverse Lens: How Vancouver saw the game

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

A sampling from Vancouver and Victoria media following the narrow Lions win in Calgary last night:

Harris sparks Leos to Comeback Win

CALGARY -- Andrew Harris was saying before the game that a run in the fourth quarter meant just as much to him as one in the first 15 minutes.

He showed why Friday.

The tough-as-nails runner was the source of plenty of attention through three quarters of the B.C. Lions game against the Calgary Stampeders, but the game was four quarters long.

He rallied the Lions from a game-long offensive funk with a fourth quarter that made the best use of a solid defensive performance. B.C. ultimately rallied from an 11-point deficit to record a 25-24 win thanks to an Ernest Jackson 65-yard touchdown with 1:32 left.

But it was Harris who was the focal point of the comeback. He had 74 yards by himself on a 91-yard drive which produced the first Lions offensive touchdown of the fourth quarter almost on his own, and helped the Lions post a win that they needed desperately after a lackluster performance a week earlier against Winnipeg.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/f...Andrew+Harris+sparks+Leos/10084621/story.html

Glenn gets breakthrough win at McMahon

CALGARY -- If there’s a blemish on Kevin Glenn’s career, it’s the quibble that he doesn’t come up big in big games.

And then there’s the stat that made even the B.C. Lions quarterback do a double-take before Friday’s game at McMahon Stadium: At 35 years of age, in his 14th Canadian Football League season, Glenn had never won in Calgary as a visiting quarterback.

“They told me the day before that I was 0-8 here,” Glenn said, basking in the afterglow of a 25-24 win over the Stampeders. “I never knew that. That’s big-time. Sometimes things like that happen. It was good to get that first win -- as visiting quarterback.”

He improved to 1-8 as an enemy starter at McMahon by engineering a fourth-quarter comeback worthy of John Elway.

After going seven quarters without scoring a touchdown, the Lions’ offence got two in the final 15 minutes to wipe out Stampeder leads of 21-13 and 24-19 and stun an audience of 27,266 fans not used to seeing such reversals. Calgary had won 16 of its previous 17 home games before Friday’s loss.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Glenn+gets+breakthrough+McMahon+Lions+stun+Stamps/10084619/story.html#ixzz39FhFCWB2

Lions Claw out Win Against the Stampeders

CALGARY - The B.C. Lions welcomed a dose of confidence from a 25-24 win over the Calgary Stampeders on Friday. A week ago, the Lions felt rather demoralized.

B.C. scored the fewest points in a game in almost three decades in a 23-6 home loss to Winnipeg in Week 5. Trailing Calgary by 11 points at the half Friday, the Lions offence came to life.

Andrew Harris rushed for a four-yard touchdown and Ernest Jackson scored on a 65-yard catch in the fourth quarter to claw out the victory.

B.C. improved to 3-3 and handed the Stampeders their first loss of the season. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers top the West Division at 5-1 ahead of Calgary at 4-1.

Cornerback Ron Yell scored a touchdown for the B.C. defence by running back a 35-yard interception in the first quarter. Kicker Paul McCallum was good from 45 and 21 yards in the game.

Former Stampeder Kevin Glenn completed 22 of 32 passes for 277 yards and a touchdown in his return to McMahon Stadium. He was intercepted once.

"It's a big emotional win from last week to this week, to do what we did against this type of team," Glenn said.

"It was a big character win for us and I think this is what we needed, against this type of team and this kind of atmosphere and environment. We were down 11 points at halftime and we fought back in the second half to come away with a victory."

See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports...ver-stampeders-1.1273462#sthash.YdX4w0Wx.dpuf

And that's it for media coverage
    in B.C.'s lower mainland of the Lions' comeback win at McMahon...:sorry:

TM

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

My post-game thoughts:

BLM has been throwing INTs to defenders for the past three games. It's only been tonight against BC that an opposing DB has finally caught one. Edmonton could have had 3 or 4 INTs. BLM's lucky Russian Roulette streak came to an end tonight. I don't blame BLM for tonight's loss, I thought he played decent, if uninspired. The thing BLM needs to improve on is decision making. This will come in time. But for now, BLM is taking way too long to go through his checkdowns and make a decision whether to throw the ball or take off running. In Edmonton he had all day in the pocket, and this was putting pressure on the o-line who started taking holding penalties. Tonight, BLM also had all day in the pocket on most plays, but he made a couple of poor decisions; one resulting in an INT, the other in an 18 yard sack. Dickie has to talk to him about this.

A great debut in Red & White for Mallett. He made the most of his opportunities. If he keeps this up, Matt Walter should be nervous.

Sanders had another excellent game and helped extend drives catching outlet passes.

Joe West was at least visible tonight, just not very productive.

Special teams were sound. Keenan the demon was a special teams arrow tonight again. Rene kicked a crucial FG for us. Tim St. Pierre filled in well for Chevy.

The defense smothered the Lion's offense for the most part. But because the game was still within reach by the 4th quarter, there were two BC TD drives that proved to be the difference. The 'Harris' drive, and the 'blown coverage' drive. Both of those drives should have been stopped. Despite our D's impressive stats so far early this season, they are not perfect, and tonight proved that.

This game had a bitter ending. Instead of squeaking out another victory, the Stamps showed some chinks in their armor.

#2 Liske, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Good summation, Liske.

I think I'm with you on most points.

Might not need to do a Mustang Musings thread now...;)

I'm still thinkin' about it since was out last night at my son's move-in and house-warming, and I had to record the game. Got home just as it was ending and went straight to the recording...finishing just after 1:30 am which is when the lightning show around here started.

Short night.

Lousy ending.

Little enthusiasm for writing.

Maybe my Musings will be brief...for a change! :D

TM

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Most games in the CFL come down to two or three big plays. Tonight the Stamps had two compared to the Lions who I thought had five or six. Even though the team has a winning record, tonight's game proved once again that there is still plenty of work to be done.

5. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

The most popular player for Vancouver today is Anthony Parker!

6. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Great! Trade him to BC! ;) He along with many others are terrible, right?

With the whispers to replace Bo with Tate getting louder, last year's hero and backup QB has become the 2014 "bum" of the year. :( While Mitchell 's play has not been as impressive as last year, fans must remember that he is a "rookie" QB, and now other teams have a lot of "tape" on him to help with their game planning.
    He will improve as he gains experience; he hasn't suddenly lost his skills. Confidence, perhaps, skills no.
    Tate is not the answer. Will his arm ever be the same?

Stampeders record is 4-1, not 1-4. There is still hope for this year. Right, Stampeder Fans. :p

7. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Hopefully the Stamps will bounce back next week at home against the RedBlacks. From the start of the game the team has to bring more intensity and desire to win like they did against the Eskimo's.

8. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Seeker1 I said nothing about BLM nothing yet you focus on him? Why is that who stated we need to change the QB? Parker is a lame duck it is plain to see he had a good game against the Als probably one of the worst teams in the CFL today on defense. West if you watch the games he has played in has been coaster easy to defend against . I am pointing out two guys that are a waste of positions on this team. Yes we are 4 and 1 but still require improvement on the receiver end of things. Sinopoli for instance played QB all through college and now a receiver and is ten times better than the two I mention. Parker needs a laundry basket to catch a ball. And West requires a taxi to run his routes. Just saying.

9. Liske

Liske Member

You are right, nobody has said anything about changing QBs, at least on here. Seeker might be referring to the other board where there are such rumblings.

I don't think that changing QBs is necessary just yet. BLM has not had a horrible game. He has struggled a little, been inconsistent, but he has not played terribly. Until that happens, and when it does, I'm sure Huf will yank him and put in Tate. On the other board they talk up Tate's experience. But Tate has only something like 9 CFL starts. It's not like he is some wiley veteran (like Kevin Glenn) who could come off the bench and lead the offense out of trouble. It would've been ideal to have had Bo Levi Mitchell remain the understudy of Kevin Glenn for another year or two. But the expansion draft forced our hands, and we are left with two relatively inexperienced QBs.

I remember Travis Lulay's first season as the designated starter for BC in 2011. The Lions lost their first 5 games. Lulay looked terrible in most of those, actually the whole team looked terrible. But we all know how that season turned out.

I'm not saying BLM is another Lulay or that we're going to win the Cup this year, just that we need to be patient and let BLM go through some growing pains.

10. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Don"t be so sensitive, you were not being singled out or criticized, okay? Didn't you notice this emoticon? ;) I was indeed referring to fans, elsewhere, clamoring for major? changes, and/or, giving up on Mitchell. some fans can be very impatient, not that I blame them entirely. ;););) (P.S. I often post tongue and cheek commentary. Not every post should be taken seriously or literally.) Have a good day! :p

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, right! ;)

My posts will be "brief" about as often as the Stampeders present us with an unbeaten season! :p

For anyone interested, this week's "Musings" is now up.

And, regrettably, it is not short. :D

But neither are the Stampeders still undefeated...:cigar:

TM

12. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

TM, despite your use of emoticons, perhaps, you are far too serious with your posts. (as I, apparently, appear to be. ;))

:p:D:p Oh well! :rolleyes:

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Fuckin' right, "oh well"! ;)

My use of emoticons is very deliberate.

Especially after I found, Hoof, my buddy on the old site, GSG, hated 'em!

After all these years, ain't nothin' goin' to change now! :p

TM

14. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Not to wax philosophically, but change is an inevitable fact of life. :rolleyes: