RG3 Singeing Receivers' Hands with Rocket Throws?

Discussion in 'American Football Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

[​IMG]

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

RG3 has a long way to go... if he can't read a defense he'll be another in the long line of black athletic qbs with all the ability in the world who never made it. Kinda early to be casting doubts on Cleveland.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

I don't like that stereotype. There's plenty of white QBs who never made it either, the difference these guys are more athletic because their more genetically inclined to be. Cam Newton came up huge last year and it's no stretch to say that he has the potential to be one of the greatest QBs of all time. I'm still glad my Colts got Andrew Luck because he's the most sure thing since Peyton Manning or even Dan Marino, but his upside isn't as high in the stratosphere because his athleticism isn't quite at that all world level. Don't get me wrong he's a great athlete too, but not quite on the level of RG3 or Newton. The one thing I will add about RG3 is that he has the type of gregarious personality that makes me want to pull for him. I've also seen videos of him in action absorbing stuff he's coached on the chalkboard much faster than I would.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's not a stereotype. It's a fact. Most qbs that are black have way more athleticism than their white counterparts. They are run first guys. Coming out of college most don't read defenses well because at the first sign of trouble they bail. Remember Barrack Nealy? Can't tell me Mike Vick wasn't like that when he broke into the NFL. Or Randall Cunningham, James Harris, Donovan McNabb. I remember a lot of NFL & CFL qbs that were that way. Chuck Ealey, Joe Adams, JC Watts, Condredge Holloway, Gilbert Renfroe, even Hank used his legs when he first came up here until he figured things out. Most relied on the run & were not your classic drop back style qb. About the only guy who wasn't like that was David Garrard of the Jaguars who played like he was a real life pylon.
    [hr]
    He's played quarterback at a higher level than you so I would hope he absorbs things faster.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

David Garrard was fairly mobile. Do you mean Byron Leftwich? That guy made Peyton Manning look like Donavan Bailey. Unfortunately his release seemed to involve rotating his arm almost 360 degrees! ;)

I see what you're saying about African American QBs, and when you put it that way I don't disagree. When you have so much athleticism that you can get yourself out of tricky spots with your feet you're not forced to read defenses quicker and get the ball out sooner. This goes for any young QB in the early years of their development. Unfortunately once you reach the NFL level that can be a detrimental since you're not as advanced I going through your progressions