Ricky Foley?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rids, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

According to Arash Madani and some others on twitter it sounds like the Stampeders have entered into the Ricky Foley sweepstakes.

Seems like the Roughriders are the leaders right now (with the Alouettes in there too) but remember what led to him playing for Toronto...

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What exactly was that, Rids?

3. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

It's been awhile since I have visited any Stampeder forum. Interesting site! Now, I am a "Newbie." :cool:

4. Rids

Rids Member

Welcome to the board.

5. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Thank you! Rumor has it that Foley should sign (Stampeders?) this afternoon.

6. Flash

Flash Member

Ricky did that whole pretend to sign with BC and end up signing with Toronto. I think he even did a radio interview in BC saying he was signing with the Lions before it all changed.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice to see you on our site, Seeker! :)

I recall your handle from GSG days...;)

TM

8. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

I am not sure if Foley is an upgrade, but I signing a T.O. guy sounds good to me.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Welcome Seeker. Post away to your hearts content!

10. bluto

bluto Member

He'll be good for the Riders who will use him in the more traditional DE/rushend role that he prefers. Ricky chaffed under the Chris Jones system that didn't allow him to pin his ears back and attack the QB every play... in fact it rarely let him do that, so his sack total being down in 2012 was more a reflection of the system. To his credit, Ricky came around in the second half of the year and bought into his role and was a big part of our GC run... it's because of that that i wish him well (in 16 out of 18 games) next season.

Jones for his part was likely more than happy to look at other options, especially after their well publicized 3 hour mid-season fight (complete with flying furniture). He gets to pick his own players and likely gave a lowball take-it-or-leave-it offer that Foley passed on. i have faith in Barker and Jones to get good players but i have to admit that i'm baffled as to what NI will be starting on our D since i don't think Pottinger is a Jones favourite and David Lee, though very promising, is still green.

tl;dr good signing for Riders, good situation for Foley (minus the paycut), Jones not losing any sleep.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jones is a pretty straight on kind of coach. You either fit hbis system or you don't. There's no grey areas with him, that is for sure. I guess we'll see if Foley can fet back to his 2011 level regarding qb sacks. I guess we had a shot at him here but the Riders won out.