Riders closing practice

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Whoa this is interesting.

Wonder if teams are now scrambling to send an employee to RiderFans to see what's up there. I know I'll take a look.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Here's an example of some of the Rider info being posted on message boards. Thanks to Danno over there:

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Paranoia in Riderville??

4. fishman

fishman Member

Depends.......I doubt that the Riders would want it getting out that guys they have cut or put on their injured lists are practicing with the team....

5. Rids

Rids Member

More on this:

6. Rids

Rids Member

Question is will it have an effect in other CFL cities where fans are welcome for the early week practices? I know Calgary has a dedicated group that shows up most days.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

and they don't have this problem in college or nfl?

in Montreal fans have free access to practices on a daily basis but there's not enough interest on message boards for als to worry.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

If the Riders come out of the chute poorly (0-5, 1-6, etc.) I suspect the next step is closing practice to players - - - - eventually to coaching staff!

9. Rids

Rids Member

Interesting interview with a member of RiderFans (not ztella) on CBC Radio 1.

http://www.cbc.ca/afternoonedition/epis ... index.html

Love how the promo for the radio show mentions that it's the "Afternoon edition, Weekday afternoons". Because Morning edition was already taken? Also of note this is my annual link to CBC related programing for the 2012 calendar year.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Until I see other CFL teams doing the same, I think Dan Bergen is right. A knee jerk reaction. All this does is just make Chamblin look paranoid.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Until I see other CFL teams doing the same, I think Dan Bergen is right. A knee jerk reaction. All this does is just make Chamblin look paranoid. He is a rookie head coach making a huge rookie mistake. I think Chamblin underestimates the fanbase in Saskatchewan & the influence they have on Rider club policy. He will have nothing but trouble if he makes them angry for the length of time he is there & it won't be long. Fans will cut him no slack if he pisses them off & he turns out to be a losing head coach. You would think that Jim Hopson or Brendan Taman would have told Chamblin this wasn't such a great idea unless Chamblin arbitrarily made the decision without telling them. Looks like Corey Chamblin has Mike Kelly Syndrome. The Riders have another black eye to deal with... The problem with seats breaking at the game last Friday, fans complaining about being moved & obstructed views. Looks like the leadership of the club at the upper management level is going to be criticized severely.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

I agree Chamblin has been stricken by 'Mike Kelly Syndrome'. Here is one area where the riders are tormenting their high profile and avid fan base with some that appears almost Bomberesque by nature.

However, even Stumbleville (Wpg) wouldn't ban fan participation at practices. There's only 9 regular season games where rider fans pay anywhere from $19 to $95 for their game ducats so avid fans fill the in-between time with a two or three weekly practice routine (free, other than your time)

Here's how the Buchko's Stumblers would have handled it in Wpg. They would inform the fanbase that there's to be no cameras or other video recording devices in Wpg. If the practice continued they'd start to frisk or check railbirds on their way into the stadium. They'd also put a couple eyeballs (security cops) in the stands to identify fans with devices and they'd face immediate eviction if they raised their cameras while practices where on. Unless they follow thru with frisking procedures the bombers would designate at least 10 minutes at the beginning of practice (warm-ups, tossing, stretches, etc.) where cameras could be used. . . . maybe another 5 to 10 minutes at the end (after practice breaks) to video jerkuns.

But lets not totally kill the fan!!!

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Well maybe you should come up with some plays that aren't so obvious. I mean seriously you're worried that fans have you guys figured out? Well I'm pretty sure you're already going to be screwed against actual pro coaches either way guys.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Actually Nate, that would be a helluva lot better than banning their fans from practice.

15. Rids

Rids Member

In Calgary (at least a couple years ago) you couldn't use a camera during practice at all. After practice if you were getting something signed you could pull out your camera for a quick shot but if they saw you with one in the stands they would ask you to step out until the end of practice.

Not sure the current rules about that. A guy could stand on that hill and see most things from outside the stadium...

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

One less (major) excuse removed from Champ's Book of CFL coaching excuses. If he pumps poop this year, and can't blame a cadre of spies then he's in deep doo doo.....

I can actually see the argument for NOT allowing any fans to see most team practices. It follows that even without cameras, cell phones or other recording devices, all it takes is one qualified note-taker/scout to watch the practice and note tendencies and such on certain plays. Don't need a camera if you're really astute, football-wise. Paranoia runs supreme in the CFL, again!!!!