Ron MacLean

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Rids, May 10, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Anybody else feel this Ron MacLean opening comments thing is blown way out of proportion? Listened to it myself twice already today and can not see what the real fuss is. I hope all of these same people that are jumping on Ron will also take down any sports broadcaster that references the Paul Revere ride in Boston or the fire in Chicago or the "Great Earthquake" in San Francisco but we know they won't. Some interludes are better than others but they reference events that happen in those cities all the time to draw in the human interest.

These idiots that hide behind keyboards waiting to jump on anybody that has a career with a profile because they believe if they are the one to take them down that they'll somehow become what that person once was. Well guess what, if they do actually take down a broadcaster and get elevated in stature it only means they become the NEXT TARGET! Idiots, go build your own resume and quit trying to steal what others have built to call it your own.

Ron's intro to the game if you didn't see it yet:
    [video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWOq9-qit8[/video]

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Ron has increasingly tried to get "artsy" with his game openings. However, he probably erred on this last montage and should simply apologize for comparing 911 Warriors to pro hockey players.

One reason Ron possibly went over the top is that he's constantly being 'dwarfed' by Don Cherry and his only outlets are his openings and pun-like closings to the Coach's Corner segment. Otherwise, Cherry dominates the 8 minute package.

McLean also hosts a few CBC panels but without JD (John Davidson), Al Strachan, Mike Milbury, etc. his panels are full of guys who don't have much to say but have a good time saying it!!!
    ie. PJ "Laughing" Stock.

Its probably getting closer than we think before Elliotte Friedman takes over McLean's job.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, those comments were stupid. First of all, hockey players can't be compared to firefighters or police officers. How many hockey players ran into the Twin Towers that day? How many hockey players lost their lives on September 11, 2001? How can someone compare an NHL player to cops & firefighters when a guy like Jarome Iginla makes $7 million a year? What do police officers make, 1% of that amount? Maclean was way over the top & deserves any criticism he gets.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

First, I don't believe its a firing offense but McLean would be wise to retract. Or as is his habit he'll chase the thing the next time HNIC opens the semi-final round. He might even try to weave something in Game 7, Washington vs. NYR....

People will be watching, just to see how HNIC tall foreheads, McLean and Cherry handle the controversy.

If I were HNIC, I'd use an extended opening and pay tribute to specific heroes of the 9-11, firefighters, EMTs, cops. Just like Cherry lists all the canucks who die in combat situations in the middle east.

Pay tribute to the heroes - but don't dare link hockey heroes to real life heroes!

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Alright, then, I'll take the contrary position on this one, and side with Rids.

If McLean was over the top on this one, then we'd better consider refraining from describing our heroes on the gridiron, the fields, the courts, or on ice as "real warriors" who make every "sacrifice" necessary to achieve the ultimate objectives in their sport.

The media routinely does that, as do we as fans.

The truth of the matter is that athletes are nothing like the real "warriors" in our world, who are all too often called upon to make a "sacrifice" that most of us could not even begin to contemplate.

I don't believe McLean's comments were intended to diminish or in any fashion trivialize the heroic efforts made by the "first responders" on September 11th, any more than the rest of us demean the athletes we pay to watch by descibing them alongside the real life men and women who are the real warriors and are the only people who are in fact ultimately willing to truly sacrifice everything they have for our freedom and security.

McLean used a figure of speech, and probably employed a little too much hyperbole in doing so.

But an apology?

I think that's just political correctness let run unbridled.

And if he has to apologize, then so do we all...

TM

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Perhaps the CBC would be best advised to not dig themselves any deeper into the 911 trench??? No?

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Just forget about anymore MacLean references to 9/11. Someone needs to approve what he writes. And not a Maclean Yes Man. Somebody who will actually say, "Ron this is stupid"... The CBC always have had guys like MacLean on the air throughout it's history. Cheerleaders with not kmuch to say going back to Ward Cornell & Brian McFarlane.. All Leaf lovers.

8. Flash

Flash Member

Seriously? The guy has had a 25 year career without hardly a blemish and you're going to pick him apart for one line? Maybe you've gone 25 years without an error in your line of work but it's rare. Even less for a guy working in the public eye.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Actually I agree more with Flash on this one. Ronny Mac's had a decent record as both a pre-cherry hockey announcer/host and for the last 15 to 20 years as Cherry's shoeshine boy. Mostly known for his off-color and humourless puns making fun of cherry's outfits and lack of verbal coherence. But mostly harmless. Even the 911 stuff was mostly harmless, other than the context of comparing hockey heroes to real-life heroes.
    Cherry is nearly 80 - the writing is on the wall and with less canadian troops in the middle east, he'll have to comment more about hockey than doing funeral announcements.
    Elliotte Friedman is waiting in the wings to replace McLean.
    If McLean and Cherry get ditched by CBC expect them to re-surface on TSN, at least for a couple years.
    But I do agree with Al about HNIC before Cherry - guys like Foster Hewitt, Ward Cornell, Bob Goldup, Brian McFarlane were tethered to the Maple Leaf balloon. Even Howie Meeker (the first offbeat analyst) was an ex-Leaf, although he had some unique angles on the game!

I remember McFarlane going off on HNIC with some meaningless diatribe because his favourite hockey player in the whole world, Daryl Sittler had a birthday... The whole segment was on Sittler's birthday...

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, me & how many hundreds of other commentators have said the same thing. As well as comments on facebook & on twitter. When someone is in the public eye & says something stupid, he/she deserves criticism. Doesn't matter what their past record is. The next cop or firefighter that loses his life on the job, well their families can take comfort knowing their fallen loved one had something in common with Alex Ovechkin or Jarome Iginla.
    How anyone can tie in 9/11 to an NHL playoff game is beyond me. Has it happened in MLB, NBA or the NFL? How many games have been played between teams from Washington & New York in all the other makjor league sports & no one drew that comaprison before. No. Just on HNIC with one guy. Who cares if MacLean hasn't "hardly had a blemish in 25 years"? He screwed up. He was reprimanded for it & now life goes on. Best thing is for him to learn from it & think carefully about what he says on the air from now on.
    [hr]
    Every HNIC host has been a Leafs siren... Since it first started. Gawd, I miss the days of Danny Gallivan & Dick Irving. At least they gave some balance to the garbage spewing out of the HNIC studios in Maple Leaf Gardens. Besides, Gallivan & Irvin were always the "A Team" on HNIC as far as I was concerned.

11. Flash

Flash Member

hundreds of people complain about Sydney Crosby too. Doesn't make them any more correct.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Every HNIC host has been a Leafs siren... Since it first started. Gawd, I miss the days of Danny Gallivan & Dick Irving. At least they gave some balance to the garbage spewing out of the HNIC studios in Maple Leaf Gardens. Besides, Gallivan & Irvin were always the "A Team" on HNIC as far as I was concerned

In the pre=expansion NHL the biggest homer might have been Foster Hewitt's son, Bill Hewitt.

Bill seemed to be about 10 years Foster's junior which was incredible considering he was Foster's son. But in The House of Homers (MLG) Bill was Top Homer. Foster, McFarlane, etc. were incredibly biased. Even Murray Westgate, the Esso shill was pro-Leaf.

With Gallivan you'd learn the art of the game of hockey. Every broadcast told a story and Gallivan's vocabulary, cadence and ability not to 'Mark Lee' the game gave hope to Hab fans nation-wide. Irvin was just a solid guy, very clear in his commentary.

Too bad our nation never developed hockey broadcasters the calibre of Gallivan. Don Wittman was OK but boring, Jim Robson, same. Bob Cole had the great voice but the weak mind - incredibly the guy is still bumbling around at 80+ even though he can no longer identify players. Mark Lee is abysmal. The new guys that did the Jets games are barfers.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The guy that should be doing Jets games on radio is languishing in Winnipeg... what, selling real estate?? Kurt Keilback. Shame.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Kurt Keilbach. thats right! SAVE - ESSSENNNZZZZZAAAAA!!!!

However, Kurt was laid off (fired) from the Coyotes several years back so he wasn't even able to keep a job in an outpost like Phoenix.

He moved back to Wpg and when True North bought the Atlanta team, he thought he was a shoe-in for the job. However, TSN usurped Corus radio for the rights - both radio and TV, and former Moose broadcaster Brian Munz (Matt Sheridan lookalike) was tabbed for the radio while TSN brought in one of their homeboys from Toronto, Dennis Beyak to take over the TV pbp, leaving Kurt out in the cold - again.
    ONe thing I notice is today's play by play guy (radio for sure) has to be more than just a great voice. Has to do a ton of interviews, constantly processing material for the 24 hour sports radio station. Keilback, evidently wasn't a particularly outstanding worker, outside of the broadcast booth. This is unsubstantiated but the knock on Kurt. Kurt is also nearing 65 so the Jets management went with a guy over 25 years younger than Keilback. Was it ageism? Probably, but there's other factors, too!

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Biggest Homer Ever: Ken Nicholson former WHA Jets Play By Play (CJOB):

"Now, Hedberg for the Jets carries the puck into the Houston end. Passes back to Nilsson in the slot. Shoots... Save Grahame... Rebound... Hull... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SCORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Nicholson When The Other Team Scored:

"Minnesota keeps the puck in the Jets end. Walton shoots scores."

If you didn't have the volume up & were actually listening you'd miss what happened. It was like a whisper. Right, Nate?

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

They called Nicolson The Friar. He was certainly a trained schnauzer/homer but still nothing close to the all-time homer - Bryan Hall..... nothing has come close to Hall, nothing will!

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Doesn't make them wrong, either. Look, MacLean's comments were over the top but that is it. Is this something he should be fired over? No. Something he should apologize for? Well, maybe but MacLean did clarify why he said what he said so as far as I am concerned, it's over, case closed. Move on. Topic done.

18. Bronko

Bronko Member

It certainly wasn't a firing offense but it did embarass Ronny McLean and his family. Ron looked like a clown. His actual piece was very good other than comparing hockey heroes to real heroes.

McLean, Cherry and the entire CBC lost their compass during the aftermath.

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Maclean & Cherry need to be humbled every once in awhile. This isn't a bad thing to cut some egos down a notch or 2.

20. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just a side-note for today - CBC and McLean used a standard opening to the game. No Ken Nordine word jazz vomitted up from McLean, very meek opening. Obviously, CBC told their HNIC crew to tone it down = TO ZERO!!!! lol