Roundup for July 1st

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Quarterback hunters: Stamps' fearsome front prepares for Als' legend

Quote:

As someone who has spent his entire career as a quarterback wearing a bull’s-eye on his back, Kevin Glenn can actually sort of sympathize with the men whose stated goal — before the trade that brought him from Hamilton to Calgary in January — was to make his life miserable.

Throughout his career, Glenn’s numbers haven’t been spectacular, so he hasn’t been accorded the kind of respect that goes to the likes of Anthony Calvillo, Henry Burris or Ricky Ray.

What he has done, however, is win a lot of games.

So it is with the Calgary Stampeders’ defensive line — particularly, the Stamps’ defensive ends. The Stamps finished dead-last in the Canadian Football League last season in quarterback sacks, which might lead one to think that the group wasn’t particularly effective when it came to harassing Glenn and his quarterbacking peers.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Qua ... z1zNgElHcM

Stamps secondary bracing for Als' challenge

Quote:

Last season, Quincy Butler was thrown into the deep end and expected to swim.

His first look at Anthony Calvillo and the Montreal Alouettes’ offence also happened to be his first game in the Canadian Football League after the team had scooped him up in late October.

But, hey, no better way to learn, right?

“It was exciting,” recalled Butler following Saturday’s walk-through practice at McMahon Stadium. “I was a little nervous but once I got into it, I got more comfortable. I was kind of familiar with Jamel Richardson because he was down in the states playing football. I’d rather go in over-expecting my opponent than underestimating them. I play at my highest level when I’m not holding back anything.”

Which is exactly how Fred Bennett plans to approach today’s game.

The former NFLer is in the same boat as Butler was last season — his first regular season CFL game also happens to be against Montreal’s talented receiving corps and Calvillo. But seemed completely unfazed by it on Saturday.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Sta ... z1zNgr1I8A

Stamps an unknown commodity going in

Quote:

Training camp didn’t last an eternity. It only felt that way.

But two-a-day practices, the long hours spent in meeting rooms learning new plays, the nail-biting on the eve of cut-down day — they’re all over now, and the real business of winning games in the Canadian Football League can finally begin for the Calgary Stampeders.

“It seemed like forever,” said Stamps slotback Nik Lewis on Saturday. “It seemed like for-EVER.”

Today, we finally see how well the Stamps used that training-camp time as they open their regular season with a showdown against the Montreal Alouettes.

And unlike past seasons, where the Stamps’ offence was a largely proven commodity coming out of training camp, the 2012 version is anything but. Gone are quarterback Henry Burris, running back Joffrey Reynolds and receiver Ken-Yon Rambo.

Yes, their replacements — Drew Tate, Jon Cornish and (for tonight, anyways) Landan Talley — all did good things last season when they were on the field. But this Canada Day marks their first foray into a regular season as a professional starter coming out of camp.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Sta ... z1zNhar8Bp

Stamps vs. Als

Quote:

Coming in

The Stamps were 11-7 last year but still finished third in the West Division. They were knocked out in the West semifinal by the Edmonton Eskimos. In the off-season, they traded QB Henry Burris, released RB Joffrey Reynolds and cut

R Ken-Yon Rambo after training camp.

The Alouettes finished 10-8 to break a three-year run as East Division champs. They lost to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the East semifinal.

Head-to-head

The Stamps swept the season series last year, winning 38-31 at home Aug. 27 and 32-27 in Montreal Oct. 30. The Stamps are just 4-6 in their last 10 against the Alouettes at home.

Key stat

3 — Number of wins in the same number of starts that Stamps QB Drew Tate has during his regular-season career. How long can he go undefeated?

Read more:http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/01/stamps-vs-als

All-Canadian on Canada Day

Quote:

There might not be fireworks, but the Calgary Stampeders will be celebrating Canada Day in a special way.

When the Stamps kick off against the Montreal Alouettes on Sunday, they will have an all-Canadian backfield lining up on offence.

Don’t stick around for the post-game light display. There won’t be one. The 60 minutes of football will have to do.

There is no question Jon Cornish will be a key part of the Stamps’ offensive attack this season, and he will carry a heavy load heading in Sunday’s season-opener at McMahon Stadium (5 p.m., TSN, QR77).

Backing up Cornish will be rookie Matt Walter, who was elevated from the practice roster this week and will play mostly special teams.

Sophomore LaMarcus Coker will be scratched to give the team ratio flexibility elsewhere and with Rob Cote and Tim St. Pierre manning the fullback position, the backfield is stocked with homegrown talent.

Read more:http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/30/all-canadian-on-canada-day ________________________________________________________

Coming of age

Quote:

Of all the numbers Anthony Calvillo has managed during his CFL career, Drew Tate is impressed with the one he will hit Aug. 23.

The soon-to-be 40-year-old Calvillo will bring the Montreal Alouettes — once again an East Division contender — into McMahon Stadium Sunday (5 p.m., TSN, QR77) to face Tate and the refreshed Calgary Stampeders.

As the quarterback at the helm of the Stamps for his first season-opener, Tate marvels how far behind he is Calvillo in his career — and not just the 70,000 passing yards.

“I told myself when I got to this league that if I could play until I’m 30, that would incredible,” the 27-year-old Tate said. “It’s only three years away.

“If I could do what he’s done and just keep playing and playing, that would be amazing.”

When the Stamps face the Als in the Canada Day opener, it’s a matchup of the youngest CFL starting quarterback against the oldest.

But so far, Tate has the edge in the head-to-head battle.

Read more:http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/01/coming-of-age

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

can this game start already?

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Don't like seeing Coker out of the lineup. Diminishes our chances to win as he certainly adds to our weaponry.