Roundup for July 2nd

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Stamps kick off season with a blast

Quote:

There wasn’t much for Calgary Stampeders fans to complain about in a season-opening 38-10 pounding of the Montreal Alouettes on Sunday. Head coaches always see things differently.

“I liked what we did as a team,” said Stamps GM-head coach John Hufnagel. “Two things I didn’t like was the amount of penalties, especially on special teams in the first half. I didn’t like the amount of turnovers we had. We have to clean both of those things up.”

It’s not often a team wins when they lose the turnover battle, but the Stamps did against Montreal. With a fumble (by Nik Lewis), two interceptions and turnover on downs, they had four to three for the Alouettes. Two of those turnovers happened deep in the Alouettes zone, so it wasn’t that devastating. They also lost the penalty battle (nine infractions for 75 yards to Montreal’s five for 30).

However, there are too many good things to recant, especially for a season-opener:

• Juwan Simpson looks rejuvenated. He flew to the ball, made life miserable for Brandon Whitaker and stripped Jamel Richardson for what became a touchdown by Keenan MacDougall. He has completely shaken off last season’s knee problems.

• The defensive backs are great in man coverage and might be the best group in the CFL. Keon Raymond and Brandon Smith have the short-side completely shut down. Fred Bennett and Quincy Butler have the wide-side covered. It hardly mattered that the rookie MacDougall was in his first game, but he played well too. Demetrice Morley at the sam linebacker spot is going to be a force at both ends of the field.

Read more:
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/s ... h-a-blast/

Stampeders steamroller Alouettes

Quote:

It was a new guy who made the play of the game, but it was the old guy who kept making the plays from start to finish on Canada Day at McMahon Stadium.

Calgary Stampeders rookie safety Keenan MacDougall provided the early spark that started digging the hole for the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League regular-season opener for both teams, with his 63-yard touchdown return of a Jamel Richardson fumble.

But it was left to the longest-serving member of the Stampeder offence, slotback Nik Lewis, to keep shovelling piles of dirt on the corpse.

“Nik wants to make it very difficult for me in the off-season when we talk about a contract,” said Stamps coach and general manager John Hufnagel after his team’s 38-10 win in front of a disappointing opening-night crowd of 26,387. “And if he keeps doing this it will be.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Sta ... z1zTJgZ2P8

Johnson: Drew Tate show enjoys successful debut

Quote:

His picture was on the game ticket.

His fingerprints, all over the game.

The audience hushed, the orchestra launched into the overture and the curtain rose on the highly anticipated Drew Tate Show on a blissful late afternoon/early evening Sunday at McMahon Stadium.

The early reviews are encouraging. Whether or not the Calgary Stampeders have a long-run, surefire, boffo box-office hit on their hands, it’s too early to say.

Remember, this is a work in progress, people. The Drew Tate you watched Sunday is far from the finished article. Three regular-season starts, however successful, and half a playoff game doesn’t guarantee long-term success, let alone enshrinement in Hamilton.

Tate was running on adrenalin after being handed the ball by Calgary Stampeders’ coach John Hufnagel in Week 16 of 2011 in favour of Henry Burris, and stitched together three Ws on the trot before absorbing the early hook in the West semi up Highway 2 a piece.

That was the honeymoon period.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Joh ... z1zTKMAW2E

Stamps run to season opening win

Quote:

It’s tough to guess who was more worn out after Sunday’s season-opening victory at McMahon Stadium.

The workhorse running back?

The workhorse receiver?

Or the touchdown horse?

Running back Jon Cornish is off to a good start in his quest to win the CFL’s rushing crown after racking up 84 yards and two majors along the ground, and receiver Nik Lewis caught everything except head coach John Hufnagel’s chest-cold, as the Calgary Stampeders scored four touchdowns and rolled to a 38-10 rout of the Montreal Alouettes.

Cornish had the busiest night of his career with 18 carries and admitted during a post-game interview on the stadium big-screen that he was a bit gassed in the second half. He was so tired, he was nowhere to be found as the media surrounded his locker for a word after the game.

Read more:
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/01/st ... pening-win

Trestman: Late hit "inappropriate"

Quote:

After his team’s forgettable Canadian Football League opener Sunday night, Marc Trestman brought up the subject of accountability in his post-game address to the media.

A lack of discipline was another hot topic.

Shea Emry’s actions in the second quarter of the Montreal Alouettes’ first road game of the season exemplified both.

The 26-year-old linebacker was taking some heat after a late hit on Stampeders quarterback Drew Tate, who was already on the ground cradling the football and left Trestman shaking his head.

“I thought it was completely inappropriate,” said Trestman, outside a quiet visitor’s locker-room at McMahon Stadium. “I just thought for a minute that Shea completely lost his mind and it was something you wouldn’t expect out of Shea. We haven’t seen anything like that in the four years that he’s been with us. It was a complete surprise.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Lat ... z1zTNN5EXQ

Stampeders rookie makes the most of first start

Quote:

Juwan Simpson has been a pro football player long enough not to get bothered by being slightly lost in the shuffle of Sunday’s Calgary Stampeder season-opening victory over the Montreal Alouettes.

After all, it was the Stamps veteran middle linebacker who made the hit on Alouettes receiver Jamel Richardson that forced a rare fumble. That, in itself, would have been a momentum-shifting play and worthy of some publicity.

Instead, it was rookie safety Keenan MacDougall — at 21, the youngest player to make an opening-week active roster in the CFL — who will be all over the highlight packages of Sunday’s 38-10 Calgary triumph, thanks to the fumble. MacDougall, with his parents from Saskatoon in the stands, scooped up the ball and sprinted 63 yards for his first touchdown in his first professional game.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Sta ... z1zTOEKpUD

Tate shows his toughness

Quote:

Quarterback Drew Tate was awfully slow to scrape himself off the turf, and all of a sudden, McMahon Stadium was eerily quiet.

Everybody, it seemed, was worried.

Everybody, it turns out, except for the toughest customer on the Calgary Stampeders’ roster.

“Drew is tough,” reminder star slotback Nik Lewis, a perennial candidate to lead the CFL in bumps, bruises and other battle scars. “He’s a Texas guy, c’mon. That should be the headline — ‘Texas Guy Drew, the Gunslinger.’ ”

Texas Guy Drew, the Gunslinger, will be starring in Wild West shootouts at McMahon Stadium for the foreseeable future. At least, that’s the plan.

After swiping the starting pivot job from Henry Burris at the tail-end of last season, this is Tate’s team now.

Read more:
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/01/ta ... -toughness

Walter's celebration muted

Quote:

Matt Walter is keeping the football from his first CFL touchdown, even if it didn’t officially count.

Heck, the rookie Calgary Stampeders running back went through the celebration, the points went on the board and teammates showered him with congratulations.

It won’t show up in the history books though, as the late rush was reviewed — all scoring plays get reviewed in the CFL this season — and it was determined his elbow was down at outside the goal-line.

Still, the University of Calgary Dinos product still has the souvenir ball.

“If I ever have kids, and I never get another CFL touchdown, I will tell them I got it,” Walter said. “They can see the film.

“It was the most exciting, gratifying feeling I’ve ever experienced.

Read more:
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/02/wa ... tion-muted

The Game Story: Calgary 38 Montreal 10

Quote:

Alouettes (0-1) 10 at Stampeders (1-0) 38

Game Balls

Offence — Calgary SB Nik Lewis did what he does best --- makes plays in any way possible. Has a team-leading 12 catches for 105 yards and a diving touchdown. Finds holes and bulldozes his way through Montreal’s defence.

Defence — Calgary DB Quincy Butler, although many deserved recognition on this night. Heading into the season-opener, the former NFL-er made it clear he was eager to take on one of the best receiving corps in the CFL. It showed. Records two tackles and makes life extremely difficult for the visitors. Picks off a long-bomb from Anthony Calvillo to Jamel Richardson who was waiting in the endzone and bolted 36 yards.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Gam ... z1zTQaOghK

And that's all she wrote...

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

You guys better save up because after Toronto saturday you`ll only have 5 days to prepare for the montreal rematch with 2 plane trips to boot. We'll be waiting. :)

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nah, Doovie, they're makin' this a 7 day road trip, so no flights back to Calgary in between.

And as for preparation time?

Don't think it's that critical.

After all, the Als had 12 days after their last exhibition game to ready themselves for Calgary.

How'd that work out? :D

TM

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

aaahhh the infamous east coast no return trip. Fair enough.

They got so fed up of waiting it caught up with them sunday.

They still have to stay 3 extra nights in hotels and with all the temptations our big eastern cities bring.... :p

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Whatever it takes...

Keep the candle burning any way you can, Doovie! :D

TM

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

the wick is low and the winds are harsh.

it can have the effect of bringing a team together just like the 2003 eskimos during their eastern trip during the infamous ontario blackout. apparently there's one dark stone on their ring to commemorate that. Just like you have the olympic stadium on your last 2 rings. we have your alberta mountains on ours.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Walter's touchdown... errr... non touchdown. Since when is it the elbow? I thought as long as his knee didn't touch the ground he was still live? He wasn't touched nor did Walter's knee touch before he rolled into the end zone. BTW, if I was Huff... I'd have taken a knee & tried not to score.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

They ruled that an Alouette player contacted him in mid-air as he dove over the pile, and he's therefore ruled to be "downed on contact" as soon as some part of his body, other than his feet or hands makes contact with the ground.

His elbow touched the ground before the ball in his other hand broke the plane of the goal-line.

Correct call...by the referees/review booth.

We can debate all day long about whether the call Huffer made should've been to order Glenn to take a knee...;)

TM

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I think that's what you meant. :)

10. Liske

Liske Member

I was actually hoping Glenn would throw a TD pass. Seemed like waste to be down there and not try. But I do understand the whole thing about not running up the score.

One thing that's always puzzled me about when and where a player is considered 'down': What is the official rule about the ball spot? I always thought the ball was spotted where the player's knee touches the turf.

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

No, it's where the ball is when the ball carrier's "body part" (other than a hand or a foot) makes contact with the ground, except inside the one-yard line where it's always brought back to the one because of the mandated separation of the lines of scrimmage.

TM

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, Liske. I guess TM answered that question for us.