Roundup for June 22nd

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Position battles for Stamps-Riders

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/21/po ... mps-riders

Quote:

Here are position battles to watch among the Calgary Stampeders when they play the host Saskatchewan Roughriders tonight in Regina (7 p.m., no TV, QR77):

Slotback

Ken-Yon Rambo is one of the CFL’s most explosive playmakers, as long as he running at full speed.

Right now, he’s not.

Now entering his eighth campaign with the Calgary Stampeders, Rambo was bothered by injuries last season and is once again watching from the sidelines with a sore leg.

The former CFL receiving champ will want to make the trip to Regina for Friday’s pre-season showdown with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, but Stamps head coach John Hufnagel was non-committal after Thursday’s walkthrough.

Question is, can Hufnagel count on Rambo to be ready on Canada Day if he isn’t able to suit up for either exhibition outing? Or could somebody else win his starting job?

Tate lends advice to Stamps wannabes

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/21/ta ... s-wannabes

Quote:

Perhaps he could scribble some notes on the airplane barf bag or save a few ideas on his cell-phone.

Or maybe he’ll just go from memory.

Calgary Stampeders quarterback Drew Tate will address his teammates prior to Friday’s pre-season clash with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, and although the soft-spoken signal-caller wouldn’t reveal his message, he won’t have a problem identifying with the guys fighting for full-time employment. He’s been there.

The mentality? Tate remembers the feeling like it was yesterday.

“Don’t screw up, you know?” Tate recalled with a grin. “Because this was pretty much my last shot on making the team in 2009. It was just take advantage of your reps, take advantage of your opportunity and don’t ever regret not making a play or deciding to do something. Just let it loose, put it all out there, and if it doesn’t work out, at least you put it all out there. But don’t ever, don’t ever …

Stamps' Morley, Bennett showing they have mitts

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/21/st ... have-mitts

Quote:

Demetrice Morley admitted it was a bit like watching the replays from last spring.

With bonus footage.

Morley earned a full-time job with the Calgary Stampeders after picking off two passes in his first pre-season outing with the club, a feat duplicated by rookie halfback Fred Bennett in last week’s exhibition victory over the Edmonton Eskimos at McMahon Stadium.

Deja-vu?

“Oh no, I think he did better,” Morley said. “I got two, but (Bennett) actually got a third one in his hands and came down with it. Unfortunately, there was a penalty on the play, but I would still give it to him. I think he has better hands than me. We’ve got to work on that.”

Bennett, Morley and the rest of the Stampeders will make a brief business trip to Regina for Friday’s pre-season finale against the Saskatchewan Roughriders at Mosaic Stadium (7 p.m., No TV, QR77).

'El Matador' Paredes will get his kicks...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Mat ... story.html

Quote:

Kicker Rene Paredes will handle field goals and kickoffs against the host Saskatchewan Roughriders on Friday night, Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel hinted on Thursday.

Never one to show his hand, John Hufnagel didn’t quite come out and name Rene Paredes his man on field goals and kickoffs for tonight’s clash with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

But the Calgary Stampeders head coach/general manager came mighty close when asked his kicking plans for the final exhibition game in Regina.

“One is going to handle the kicking,” Hufnagel said deliberately after practice Thursday. “One is going to handle the punting.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Matador+Pa ... z1yX3cFJPv

Stamps' Washington really cooking now

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Sta ... story.html

Quote:

Tony Washington departed Calgary last winter for his home in Dallas, Texas, topping the scales at 299 pounds.

Light, believe it or not, reports the six-foot-seven offensive lineman.

But considering 2011 was a season of physical and mental adjustments — joining a new team, learning a new playbook and a new league — remembering to cook for himself simply was put on the back burner.

“That was one of those growing up things and maturing,” said the 26-year-old, smiling Thursday after a light on-field workout before the team departed McMahon Stadium for today’s CFL exhibition clash at Saskatchewan. “I had to cook for myself . . . I lost weight because I wasn’t cooking. I was going out all the time and eating out.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Sta ... z1yX4Nf31N

TM

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tundra - I'm having a memory block.

What were the official club reasons the football club and Henry Burris parted ways last season?

What were the speculated reasons from fans, media, etc.?

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure the football club ever gave any official reasons for his trade to Hamilton.

Other than Henry's stance (whenever the media asked him) that he was chafing at having been placed in a back-up role to Tate, and the fact that the Stampeders were clearly unwilling to pay Burris's starting salary to someone who, in their minds, had rapidly become a second-stringer, everyone was left with the club's official statement that "in the best interests of the club and Henry Burris", both parties had decided his contract should be moved.

Unofficially, I think it's fair to state that the Stampeders simply lost confidence in Burris for a miriad of reasons, whether it was his unfortunate failure to grasp the nuances and responsibilities of his participation in the world of social media, his well-reported indignant responses to Calgary fans who had begun to jeer some of his performances at home games, or a perceived mechanical problem associated with an apparent inability to throw "an out pattern" ball, anymore.

It may have been for some of those reasons, or none of those reasons.

Or for entirely different ones.

Take your pick.

Until his memoirs appear in print someday, I suspect we'll all be left to merely speculate about why he really departed Calgary. ;)

TM

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

I think your observations are quite accurate.

There's a big gap when a team quietly loses confidence in a player but the player bravely maintains a facade of over-confidence.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

What will Hank's bio be called and will Jim Taylor still be around to help him write it???

My short list of approved titles?

1. The Great Hanktini

2. Being Henry: My Life in Pro (mostly) Football

3. Hey Ref! Hey Ref! Hey Ref!

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

To add to the stack:

4. "It's all about the Horse...er...Tiger!"

The jacket design will have a photo taken of a helmeted Burris pointing to the logo on the side of his bucket while visiting McMahon and engaging its fans in pleasant repartee... ;)

TM

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Hank pouting (or perceived petulance) didn't help Hank's cause. Neither did his social media gaffes like the bra incident & finally his Sandusky tweet last winter where Theo Fleury took him to task didn't help. However, saying he would never play backup to Tate along with his salary were the 2 main reasons for his ticket out of town.