Roundup for June 30th

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

MacDougall pushed to the head of the class

Quote:

A few months ago, Keenan MacDougall was trying to wrap up a few classes at the University of Saskatchewan.

Physiology and sciences were his game.

But when he was plucked 15th overall by the Calgary Stampeders in this spring’s Canadian Football League draft, his game plan changed significantly. And again when he made the team only a week ago.

Now, MacDougall’s life path is about to really get interesting as all signs are pointing to his first start as a professional on Sunday against the Montreal Alouettes.

“I’m definitely excited,” said the former U of S Huskie and native of Saskatoon. “Just trying to stay focused, more than anything. But, again, it’s been a good week and I think I’ve prepared well. There’s not really much time to think about the other stuff.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Mac ... z1zIaAfrs3

Huff remains tight-lipped on starting line-up

Quote:

True to form, Calgary Stampeders coach and general manager John Hufnagel wasn’t tipping his hand Friday regarding potential lineup adjustments for Sunday’s game against the Montreal Alouettes.

But based on observations from Friday’s practice at McMahon Stadium, it seemed apparent that Landan Talley will get the start at slotback ahead of Marquay McDaniel, Chris Randle will start at coverage linebacker over the injured Demetrice Morley and Na’Shan Goddard will get his first CFL start at left tackle over Edwin Harrison, who’s still recovering from a bad hamstring pull.

And one other change could be in the works with local ramifications as former University of Calgary star Matt Walter appears to be in the Stamps’ plans for the season opener. The rookie running back was placed on the practice roster last weekend, but with fellow Canadian Jabari Arthur still bothered by a hamstring issue, Walter looks to be the next option for the Stamps.

“I mean, whether I’m the backup or the starter, whether I’m dressing or not dressing, I’m going to prepare the same way as I always do — to the best of my physical abilities,” said Walter, who played his high school football at Bishop O’Byrne.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Huf ... z1zIbEXrwt

Rise of the Canadian receiver shows CFL's transformation

Quote:

As recently as a decade ago, Canadian Football League teams drafted homegrown receivers with a certain stereotype in mind.

Sturdy. Good hands. Not afraid to go across the middle. Not especially fast. Able to play special teams. Good route-runners. A nice change of pace from the U.S.-born speedsters who were the primary focus of an offensive game plan.

You know, someone you could put on the field and while he wouldn’t win you any games, he wouldn’t lose you any, either.

Yes, there were occasional exceptions. Terry Evanshen. Dave Sapunjis. Ray Elgaard. Ben Cahoon. But you wouldn’t call these men human highlight reels.

Today? As the 2012 CFL season got underway Friday with a pair of games, there is little question that there has never been a greater talent pool of Canadian receivers. Even better, the line that traditionally distinguished Canadian receivers from American is more blurred than ever.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Ris ... z1zIc1RQnu

Youth vs. experience at McMahon

Quote:

The Montreal Alouettes are what the Calgary Stampeders didn’t want to be.

Getting old.

Sunday’s showdown at McMahon Stadium (5 p.m., TSN, QR77) is a battle between teams trying to go different directions.

The Alouettes have the CFL’s oldest and most experienced starting group. When you have arguably the greatest quarterback in the history of three-down football — Anthony Calvillo — and he wants to continue taking snaps, there’s no reason to rebuild.

The Stamps, meanwhile, just completed a massive makeover.

Gone are 2010 CFL Most Outstanding Player award winner Henry Burris, former league rushing champ Joffrey Reynolds and former league receiving champ Ken-Yon Rambo, all key contributors on offence since the beginning of the John Hufnagel era and even before then.

Their starting jobs have been claimed by Drew Tate, Jon Cornish and — from all indications during Friday’s practice session — Landan Talley, who have a combined age of about 26 and are each entering their first full season in a go-to gig.

Suddenly, the Stamps’ active roster includes only a half-dozen guys who’ve already turned 30, and only two of them — tough-as-nails slotback Nik Lewis and speedy receiver Romby Bryant — are projected starters.

The Alouettes could field as many as nine 30-something starters in Sunday’s season-opener, including the CFL’s all-time passing leader Calvillo, who had 39 candles on his last birthday cake.

Read more:http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/29/youth-vs-experience-at-mcmahon

Bringing some 'Goddard' vibes

Quote:

Na’Shan Goddard’s professional pigskin resumé reads like a championship parade route.

A stint with the NFL’s New York Giants. A Super Bowl XLII ring in 2008.

A stint with the New Orleans Saints. A Super Bowl XLIV ring in 2010.

Now entering his first summer with the Calgary Stampeders, the towering offensive tackle is trying for the three-peat.

“Hopefully, I can bring some of that luck here,” Goddard said.

“That’s the first thing my grandmother told me — ‘You’ve won a couple of rings. Maybe you can bring some luck to your new team in Calgary.’ I hope so, man. Especially with it being the 100th Grey Cup, that would be awesome.”

Goddard also earned paycheques with the New York Jets and the Seattle Seahawks, but the former South Carolina Gamecocks standout logged the majority of his time as an NFLer on practice rosters.

The 29-year-old might not have to wait long for his first taste of game action in the three-down ranks.

Read more:http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/29/bringing-some-goddard-vibes

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

For the alouettes....um.......well they took a plane this morning. Landed in Calgary. That's all I got. :p

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Als are getting old. The wheels may fall off all at the same time. If that does, ;ookout deuvl. maybe not this season but it's coming...

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I really like Mcdougall. Essentially with Ameet Pall in Montreal now he is the Stamps #1. While he is a rookie, I think he will do fine tomorrow. Besides how is he going to improve as a player if he doesn't get the opportunity to play.

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Age and experience VS. youth and exuberance.
    Can the Stamps finish off the first weekend with a clean sweep by the West?[/u]

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

i don't mind myself. got my 2 grey cups. it's the other alouette fans that need to be concerned :p