Run Game Missing Burris?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Christoph, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

So I woke up this morning and a random football related thought occurred to me. (Don't judge me I'm sure you've done it too.) Obviously the Stamps ground game hasn't quite been as effective as we were expecting it would be, and while I'm sure it'll turn around, I think I know what part of the issue is. Burris is gone. I'm not so much saying we're missing the yards he'd pick uo himself on the ground, although there is that, I'm more referring to the way a mobile QB like him can open things up for a running back. Things have been pretty bottled up to this point with the exception of the first half of the season opener. Option reads and play fakes all open things up more for running backs with a mobile guy under center. It's not that Cornish needs the extra space but if he has it he can destroy a defense.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I had a random football related thought too but I think it was more concerning tonight's cheerleaders. ;)

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's not missing Burris so much as the OL has to do a better job run blocking. To me, that's the key. The Hoggies have to a better job than they are doing now.

4. Coachjd51

Coachjd51 Member

Always the Hoggies fault, right Iso? 10 attempts ( by running backs) only for a total of 47 yards last game. 4.7 per attempt...pretty good in any league. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the Stamps would rather pass than run. Perhaps the game dictates that you must pass.

I have no idea how you can lay blame on the O-line when Dickinson has not made any indication that he wants to develop a run game.

5. Flash

Flash Member

Just tossing a guess out there but....
    Coachjd51 = OL Coach?
    ISO = RB Coach?

One wants holes the size of Buicks while the other wants the coach to call more running plays.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I watched the first half of that game last night & if you think the OL played okay then I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you. Give your head a shake.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You can't build a house without a foundation & the OL has to be much better.

8. Rids

Rids Member

ztella posted over on RiderFans all about the Montreal defensive front they were running.

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I read it. Riderfans also asked him to keep his pants on. Glad I wasn't watching That in HD. :p

So the alouettes won in spite of a rushing total of 5 yards. Don't see that everyday.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, we play a safety that doesn't like to tackle so these things happen. :mad:

11. Liske

Liske Member

Montreal did a good job of clogging the line in the first half. The o-line did not look good run blocking in the first 30 min. So, yes, the hoggies were partly to blame. The o-line did very well pass blocking all night. But the o-line could not create many holes for Cornish until the second half, when most of the rushing yards were gained. Part of the blame also lies with DD's play calling. When you're almost always running on first down, it will just get the LBs teeing off on the RBs.

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

That's pretty sad to lose when your defense holds the opposition to 5 yards rushing. Actually they played pretty well all night aside from the catch, tumble, and run when the Als receiver have been touched down by contact rather scoring a touchdown.

They put forth a huge effort on the near goal line stand in an effort to hang on for the victory, and were even forcing Montreal backward, but in the end came up just short against arguably the greatest QB in CFL history.

The fact is though that they shouldn't have been put in that position. Glenn threw a dangerous pass into the flat blindly hoping for the best. When in doubt, throw the ball away. Sure a first down to extend the drive and kill the clock is optimal, but punting is preferable to giving away the go ahead score. With the defense giving Calvillo and company fits for much of the night, there would have been a very good chance of victory if Glenn had managed to not lose the game.

Back on topic though, I get Cornish's frustration with the way things have been going. He's been getting caught in the backfield as the ball is handed to him far, far too often in this young season. The offensive line needs to get back to the level it played at last year when the ground game worked with relative ease (whenever DD actually decided to use it.) I still maintain we need a little more movement from whoever is under center to give the defense something to think about and give Cornish and Coker a little more space. A little space is all they need with their speed.

From that standpoint I can see the attraction of playing the more athletic Bo Levi Mitchel at QB, but I still hesitate to go that direction just yet. Brimming with confidence though he may seem to be, many young football players are before they have that seemingly unbreakable self-belief shattered by bigger, strong, faster players before they have a chance to adapt. I may think he'll be fine, but that's not good enough. For me, that's pretty shaky ground to stand on when taking such a risk. This guy has the potential to be a star. You don't mess with that unless you're sure of what you're doing. If Huf and DD are sure, then play him. If not, we ride this thing out with Glenn (with a sprinkling of BLM when Glenn inevitably has his off nights, to give him a taste of things) until Tate is healthy enough to return.

13. Coachjd51

Coachjd51 Member

Make a decision on what you want to talk (argue) about. I said nothing about the o-line playing well or not playing well. I said there has to be a commitment to the run if you want to be effective.

14. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

First of all I don't think DD values the run quite as much as Cortez did. Second of all the OL has been pretty poor overall in the first three games opening running lanes. Third is that Cornish simply doesn't look as explosive this year. I realize that he's been met in the backfield far too many times but to me he doesn't look as explosive when he gets out of the hole. Maybe he's better suited as the change of pace back to a power back?

Too early to get too worried but Stamps fans have been used to seeing a top 3 running attack annually and this team isn't producing yards on the ground like we are used to seeing. Part of that is that Burris could always be counted on for 30-50 yards on the ground himself but Stamps typically have better YPC averages.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

You're quite right, and it can't always be on first downs. Sometimes it has to be on 2nd and medium to keep the defense honest. Heck with Cornish's career average, even 2nd and 7 run is probably just as safe a bet as a pass.

Last week Cornish had 7 carries I believe. Well this week, it wasn't until after about that mark that things started to open up. I know it's harder to do so in the Canadian game, but sometimes you have to stick with the ground game through some lean times before you see it pay dividends at the end of the game.

They could definitely use a little more creativity with their run calls too. I mean where is the option read? Right now it's usually Cornish straight ahead into the waiting arms of often basically unblocked defenders. Throw a curve ball or two their way, a little misdirection. That's where Burris presence made things come naturally. Now it's up to Dickenson to find ways to compensate and so far I haven't seen it.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Tell me, since you came on here with your knickers in a knot directed at me... what would you do to make our run game better? And, put yourself in an offensive meeting trying to tell Dave Dickenson to commit to the run more. Good luck.

Being an OL coach you also know that blocking schemes can only work if you have the proper personnel in place. Our line has to do much better. Not saying they can' t improve & I expect that they will but right now, the OL isn't good enough playing the run.

17. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

our own OL didn't do much to help AC. That stamps D-line is a real swarm.

18. RoadDog

RoadDog Member

You're right it has nothing to do with Burris but with the O-Line. When an O-line is struggling a mobile quarterback can help giving another threat thereby potentially opening up holes. With the unfortunate injury to Tate, the Stamps now have a pocket passer unless they choose to pass the reigns to a significantly less experienced q.b. which would be a high risk move so early in a young season.