Scott Crough Ruptured Disc. Maver Our Punter

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by iso_55, Jun 8, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Just heard on CHQR. Scott Crough suffered a ruptured disc at practice this morning. Gone for an extended period of time, maybe the season. Stamps won't be bringing in anyone else so Rob Maver is our punter.

Here's Ian Busby's link to the story:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/a ... ck-injury/

Tags:
  2. Stamps4Life

Stamps4Life Member

RE: BREAKING NEWS!! Scott Crough Ruptured Disc. Maver Our Punter

Sucks he got hurt. I was looking forward to seeing what he could do

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Definitely a tough break for the guy and I feel terrible for him. However if I had to guess I'd say Maver was going to win the job anyway, because a) he doubles as either the place kicker or the backup place kicker, and b) he's far more adept at directional punting due to his years of experience in the Canadian game.

That said, competition is always a good thing. Fortunately I doubt Maver will relax. He seems to have reacted exactly how you would like after what happened last year when Parades usurped him as place kicker. Maver said it best, "if you don’t do your job, somebody will be in the next day to take over." I like that attitude.

I wish Crough luck but I'm perfectly comfortable with the job Maver is going to do for us.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So am I. I was on Maver a lot at that other site the past 2 years & felt the wrath of a few fans over there because I thought he wasn't as good as advertised & to this day, I don't think I was wrong. I felt the Stamps protected Maver in 2010 by not giving him long or overly difficult FG's to make all the while questioning his leg strength. Then the injury debacle last year. To the guy's credit, he looks like he's really taken what happened to him to heart & did all the right things training this off season.
    Maver is supposed to be a very good punter so now we have Paredes who can kick as well as Maver who can do both. But, it looks like the Stamps like Paredes leg strength & accuracy better as a kicker. Being a CFL punter isn't a bad thing. Guys like Bob Cameron & hank Ilesic made long careers out of it.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

I still think he could do both jobs but he's a more natural punter so it makes sense that it will take him some time to get his place kicking up to the same standard as his punting. If he needs more time, so be it, we've got Parades. If he's ready to do both, great! It frees up a roster spot. It's too bad Crough got hurt but we're still in a pretty decent place kicking wise.

6. Liske

Liske Member

Yeah, I really feel for the guy. He just got married, travelled half way across the world to Canada to pursue his dream, and spent a lot of hours training and a lot of money just to get a look from the Stamps.

Something not in his favour is the fact he is 31. Maver is 26.

This is disappointing, as I was really looking forward to seeing him punt in an exhibition game.

I hope there's some way we can keep him on some sort of neg list or maybe the expanded practice roster. But unless Maver gets hurt in the late season, I think Crough's CFL dreams are gone.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Gotta feel for the guy. Terrible break. The question I have & I used to be a punter is just how can someone damage a back disc punting?

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Probably literally from "kickin' their ass off" tryin' to make the team...;)

Tough break for Crough.

TM

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So it would seem. I never hurt my back, thankfully. I could punt all day & not even be stiff. But I wasn't 30 either.
    I actually could still punt the ball into my late 40's. But the distance sure came off them. Instead of 50 yarders they were more like 30. Could get the height & spiral still. They just never went anywhere!! LOL!!!
    I remember coaching pee wees in 1998 & we were looking for punt returners. I asked any kid who was interested to line up about 25 to 30 yards away. Then, I'd punt it super, super high on purpose. The kids (in full equipment) who were afraid ducked were told to stand to the side. The kids who tried to catch the football, I gave another chance. The kids that would actually attack the ball & catch it were our returners. We had a couple of kids with great hands.
    When I say high, I mean high... Maybe 60 feet or more off the ground almost straight up & then the ball comes screaming down. So for an 11 or 12 year old, even in full equipment, catching the football like that was intimidating.
    I had so much fun scaring the *crap* out of the kids. ;) Can't do that anymore.:(

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Unfortunately sometimes it just happens. People can get bulging or even ruptured discs without any sort of trauma. When I did my MRI practicum, generally there actually didn't seem to be any history of any sort of major injury associated with these conditions.
    [hr]
    Hmmm sounds like how my attempts at kicking a football have always gone. That is to say, not very far. The difference is the fact that they never had any height or spiral either. ;)

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I had height & a spiral when I was 45 but if there'd have been a 5 kph breeze the football would have gone backwards. ;)

12. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Terrible news for the guy - I was really hoping to see him in a game and what he could bring.

From his Twitter account, he is headed back to Australia already.

13. Rids

Rids Member

Not sure if it's the same for guys from within the Commonwealth but I do remember that American players had to be out of the country within 3 days of being released thanks to their work visa. Some would fly to Denver and wait in the airport for a contract off from another CFL team and then fly back.

14. Christoph

Christoph Member

Ouch I'm sure that'll be a fun flight for him.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Aren't the Stamps obligated to take care of him medical wise until he recovers? I didn't think injured players could be cut.

16. Rids

Rids Member

injured players can be released prior to the season. During the season they can also be released but with an agreed settlement.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I saw a tweet from one of the reporters saying even though the Stamps released Crough, they will support him medically which is great. It is the right thing to do & kudos to Huff for that.

18. Christoph

Christoph Member

Well they should by rule probably have been obligated to, but the fact that they weren't and did it anyway speaks to the character of the organization. Hopefully other prospective Stamps take note of that.

19. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

So it looks like Crough is working out with the NY Jets today - I guess his injury wasn't as bad as feared?

20. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

His leaving Canada was maybe just due to a temporary bout of "enneffellitis"...;)

TM