Show Me the MONEY!

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Calgary Stampeders were hit very hard by the number of players seeking greener pastures $$$! :( The 2015 CFL Draft will, indeed, be very important for the Stamps.

Tags:
  2. Liske

Liske Member

We only lost two major star players (Jones and Lemon). They will be missed. Bryant was another solid player, but we still have relatively decent depth at o-line. We'll still need to draft more o-linemen, but Huf has a way of finding good quality hoggies. There's also still a remote possibility of Jones coming back at some point.

The rest of the free agents were not signed because they are either second tier players (and replaceable) or were asking too much money.

3. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

I agree; losing players to the NFL doesn't count to me; it's not like those players are going to help the competition beat us and there is a good chance those players come back.
    I hate losing players to the competition, but also fully trust Huff with the budget and knowing where we can afford to lose a player, and where we can't. Spending big bucks almost never translated to championships; look at the riders who are the only team that choose to ignore the salary cap rules, and yet they average a grey cup every 25 years or so.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that the guys we lost, (to the other CFL teams), were not critical components.

The Stamps have proven that their recruiting is amongst the best out there, and I have no doubt the holes created yesterday will be filled with more than capable players.

I look at it this way - if the players were key to us making another run in 2015, then they would have been re-signed in the first place.

Liske likes this.