Sick dog... any insight?

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Christoph, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

As you guys know, we recently got a new puppy...
    [​IMG]
    ...and I was hoping that since we are first time dog owners, you guys might be able to give me some insight into what has been a bit of an ongoing issue with her. She's had diarrhea I'd say almost two-thirds of the time since we got her 2.5 weeks ago. I don't think it's her food since we have her on Orijen, widely considered the best on the market, and the vet gave his stamp of approval.

At one point we were concerned enough that we made a special trip to the vet to see if she was seriously ill but they didn't find anything. He subscribed some antibiotics, just to be on the safe side, and gave us canned prescription wet food (which ironically is inferior in quality to what we already had) but she seems to like it. For a brief time her diarrhea cleared up but it's back again.

We've been trying to figure out if it's something environmental, either in the condo or outside, but we don't have much to go on. Another theory is that we may be giving her too many treats, but we really we're pretty careful. What worries me is that she doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. We haven't even gotten to the point where we're feeding her the recommended amount for her age and weight because she doesn't even eat all of what we do give her. I'm growing quite concerned that between the diarrhea and the lack of appetite that she's becoming malnourished at a stage when proper nutrition is crucial to her development.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. :s

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

my guess is he's got sensitive guts.

as long as he's not vomiting that's good. as long as he's got his shots that's good.

i assume you didn't see any worms otherwise it could be a microscopic parasite like Giardia or some bacteria like Campylobacter.

If neither you nor the missus has the runs that's good.

Could be food intolerance, could be the water.

In more unlikely category is pancreas insufficiency, then he'd have large undigested stool and a voracious appetite.

maybe try and have a stool sample completely analyzed for bacteria/parasites otherwise maybe some homecooked food like some boiled beef or chicken with rice or potatoes. the vet has some Hill's A/D that help kickstart the appetite.

It's one of those 'whatever works' cases.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Is the food you are giving her drastically different than what she was getting before you got her?

What kind of food is it? Lamb? Beef?

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you feed her dry food or wet (canned)?

Our puppy, who we picked up at the age of 3 months has only ever had dry dog food (Acana "Wild Prairie" regional mix, although it is fairly expensive), supplemented with treats, and a few things here and there from the table (which we try to limit).

She's now 13 months old and she's never had trouble with her food or ever any lack of appetite in consuming it.

The only times we've had that trouble with her, is due to stress, or when we've been too generous in giving her things like fresh fruit (such as pineapple). Our dog is a true omnivore, and will readily eat fruit and vegetables, but you have to watch which ones she gets, since some things humans consume without a second thought can be deadly for canines.

Our dry mix is chicken and lake trout based, but you can get lamb, or beef based varieties of Acana as well.

If you are happy with Orijen, you can stay with it, but you might consider shifting the base of its ingredients (if other Orijen varieties are available), since your dog may be exhibiting an adverse reaction to something in the food base you are currently feeding her.

Keep us posted, and good luck with everything, Christoph...

TM

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Like grapes,whole onions and whole garlic, anything with Xylitol, and dark chocolate or cocoa powder.

also Advil and Rogaine. :D

6. Rids

Rids Member

Rogaine??? So don't give that to a Mexican Hairless I guess...

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Not to mention avocadoes (guacamole, anyone?). macadamia nuts (as few as a half-dozen can be fatal), raisins, peaches, plums or persimmons, anything with nutmeg, baking powder or baking soda, dairy products, or raw eggs (eggnog is off the list both for its raw egg and nutmeg content).

As a kid, I never knew chocolate was a problem for dogs...and I don't think it was at all common knowledge back then...probably accounts in some measure for why our dogs in the 60's didn't have longer lives...:(

But then, cars also played a role in the reduced canine longevity of at least 2 of our pets... :s

TM

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

by ingestion or contact by skin causing marked hypotension and even some cardiac lesions in some cases.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Thanks deuvl.

I doubt it's worms because she just got a de-worming treatment.

We did have a stool sample tested for parvo, which thank God came back negative, but I'm not totally sure if he felt the need to test for anything else while he was at it. (He's difficult to understand owing to a pretty thick accent.)

Can you tell me more about this Hill's A/D?

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

'A' stands for anorexic. It's small cans of very tasty and very soft food that is very high calorie which means he doesn't need a lot to be satisfied. we use it for difficult dogs and cats which need to be force fed.

Giardia and coccidiosis are microscopic protozoan parasites that are usually easy to verify in any stool sample and easy to treat. regular deworming won't work for them.

I usually try metronidazole antibiotic, which unfortunately isn't available now, for most diarrheas of unknown cause. My own irish setter had to stay off commercial foods all his life because of a likely genetic gluten intolerance in these breeds.

Dunno what the doc gave. There's also products with probiotics that work pretty well.

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

Nope we have her on Orijen which is exactly what the breeder had her on. The only tiny difference is that we have her on the large breed puppy food whereas they just had her on the regular puppy stuff. If you look at all the ingredients and the nutritional information the differences are nominal though. They're pretty much the same thing, chicken, turkey, etc... it's the highest protein dog food on the market if I'm not mistaken.

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

Acana is made by the same company as Orijen and they are very, very similar (ours is chicken, turkey, egg and lake trout I believe.) Unfortunately she seems to be turning her nose up at it. Whether or not it has anything to do with her diarrhea issues I don't know. If she has a sensitive stomach or an irritable bowel, as we are beginning to suspect based on our own research, I wonder if the high protein content (normally a very good thing) may be a little too much for her system. I'm not expert here mind you. Any thoughts?

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Good insight. I'll try to remember not to feed her Rogaine anymore. ;)

I guess I just wanted to see if it would give her a hairy tongue. :p

14. Christoph

Christoph Member

You seem to have a lot of veterinary knowledge. You wouldn't happen to be one would you?

The vet food our guy gave us happens to be Hill's also, but it's the I/D variety for gastrointestinal health. He also gave us antibiotics (I tried to find the empty pill bottle but it must have gotten tossed so I'm not sure what kind) and small packets of probiotics in powdered form that you add to the food.

She seemed to prefer canned vet food over the dry Orijen we initially had her on (and that the breeder also had her on) so we are going to try her on something similar but more affordable than vet food. We picked up some Innova the other day and she seems to be liking it. This is only the first day we've given it to her mind you, so we'll have to see whether her stomach also likes it.

For now we're mixing the canned Innova with her Orijen kibble, but we may end up taking back the latter since the company does have a money back guarantee. After all, as good as the ingredients are, it's only healthy for your dog if your dog will actually eat it.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

By the way thanks for all the input so far guys! :)

16. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes I am but not quite this guy. As for the I/D I can understand why he won't eat it, it's pretty bland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEmQwjeDqCI

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

No no she gobbles the I/D down but has no interest in her Orijen dry food. A switch seems obvious at this point, the question is to what. Does anyone know what the best wet food on the market is? She seems to like that smelly sludge. ;)

Lol is it sad that I kind of want to watch that show now?

18. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

If you buy at a pet store you can find reputed brands like Hill's or Royal Canine otherwise the cans you find in supermarkets are extra tasty but or may not give the runs. try a bit of each and find out which gives the best result.

Once they go wet, dry can be hard to come back to.

I've been waiting a long time for a show like that. The AVMA doesn't like it but tough cheese, it's pretty funny in my book.

19. Rids

Rids Member

Deuvl you're not supposed to taste all the dog foods...not until you're 90 and senile.

20. Christoph

Christoph Member

We may try mixing real pumpkin in with her food. Lot's of people seem to swear by it as a home remedy. I just wonder what an expert's opinion it would be. Thoughts?