Sidney Crosby

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by iso_55, Apr 1, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nasty, nasty, NASTY injury yesterday when Crosby suffered a broken jaw off of a deflected puck. Sid will be gone until early May at the earliest. He's had such hard luck...

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

to think iggy arrived there because he wanted to play with sid. i guess karma is a female dog after all.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

He'll be back for the playoffs. Maybe miss the first round but the Pens should be good to go without him Round 1. Lord knows, it's not like this is the first time Sid's been out of the Pens lineup for an extended period of time.
    His injury reminded me of when I got hit in the forehead with a baseball during a game when I was a 12 year old kid. That was bad enough. I am sure I had a concussion as I remember seeing all kinds of different colours when I was struck, being in pain, feeling nauseous wanting to vomit & with a huge bump on my head.
    However, in 1967 no one worried about that kind of thing. Concussions were just something you dealt with as in getting your bell rung. Spent a few days in my room with a gargantuan headache & the venetian blinds drawn because I couldn't stand any light. I never went to see a doctor as that just wasn't done back then. In a few days I was back to normal.
    I can't imagine how painfully gruesome it would feel getting a frozen puck at high velocity in the face, jaw & teeth. Gawd...

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

So... does this mean the NHL will finally enter the 20th century when it comes to protective head gear and make full cages mandatory? They wear them in the NFL and nobody seems to question their manhood, and they don't even have to deal hard rubber projectiles that can at any moment take an eye out, or in this case, break a jaw. Had Crosby (and all other NHLers) had basic minimum head protection no injury whatsoever would have been sustained. It pisses me off. We're in the 21st century now for god sakes!

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I dunno about cages. Then the sticks come up to the face & you trade one problem for another... Don't think the NHLPA will go for it.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Sticks are coming up anyways. Most NHL players are pretty darn loose with their weapon of choice. Usually the excuse is I was trying to lift a guy's stick and missed. Took out some teeth, bit of bleeding, too bad. The penalty for that is 2 tiny minutes.

High sticking should warrant a 5 minute major plus a fine of $5,000 to $50,000 depending on severity of injury. If your high stick results in the player being injured for 2 games, you should be suspended without pay for 2 games.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You know, the type of injury Crosby suffered? It rarely happened back in the days when players wore no helmets. And there were very few high sticking injuries. Game has sure changed.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

Come up to the face? Not sure I follow. A full cage would prevent virtually all facial injuries. As long as there is knob on the end of the stick, even the narrower (non-blade) end of the stick can't penetrate the cage. I'm not sure how you'd be trading injuries.

As long as the NHLPA truly cares about player safety (which unfortunately seems debatable) I see no reason why they would argue against improved protection. Unfortunately the NHL is stuck in the last century and they're lagging far behind the NFL.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

The main reason the NHL won't go for full cages on hockey players relates both to cost and player identification. NHL fears the fans may look at cages with disdain as they would prevent over 95% of current facial injuries and fans would be disappointed their 'bloodsport' has been compromised. Plus, only the most mentally defective thugs would prefer to fight each other in cages. Players association (who you would think would be first to protect their own players) don't want this either as they feel it might effect league revenues in a negative way - although they'd never frame their argument this way!

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I remember when helmets were first made mandatory. The NHL feared that fans would lose a connection with the players because they couldn't see their faces. I mean, we old timers remember the old days when players skated with no helmets & their long locks flying in the breeze a la Guy Lafleur, Derek Sanderson or Gary Unger. Their fears were unfounded.

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

People riding bikes shouldn't wear helmets because then you can't see their hair.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

WOW - pens get x-terminated last nite 6-1, better hope Sid can return for May Madness (playoffs) as its obvious Iggy Poop, Malkin, etc. are nothing more than lambs to slaughter. Doesn't help that Five-Hole Fleury makes his annual appearance down the stretch.

Pens don't really care if they finish 1st or 2nd cuz often the #8 seed has had to pave their way thru hell.

Anyways if Sid can't return for 1st playoff round, its 50/50 the pens exit meekly (either in 5 or 6 games)

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Iggy is no longer a dominant player at his age. Just a piece of the puzzle but he should provide leadership in Sid's absence,

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Iggy at 35/36 is an excellent orator. He conducts and controls media conferences like no other. Total leadership and class. On the ice, he's a sluggish ex-superstar with goon habits. He's actually a liability to the Penguins. He might have helped Boston a bit more cuz the Bruins lack the double superstar thing Sidburgh has. Right now, this portion of his career is gonna last anywhere from 6 to 9 weeks. He's a rental. Rent-a-Stooge!!!

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Iggy'll re-up in the off season in Pittsburgh, you watch.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

I would tend to agree. The memories of Ray Bourque lifting the Cup with the Avs will be too strong in his mind even if Pittsburgh falls short this year. Don't forget that Bourque didn't immediately win a Cup with the Avs the way it probably plays out in our memories. I believe they even actually got bounced pretty early on their first try. Then Bourque decided to re-sign in the off season with his new team, and with a full season to get familiar with one another they wound up marching all the way to forever removing Bourque from the list of greatest players never to sip from Lord Stanley's Cup.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

I kinda agree Iggy will re-up in Pittsburgh. Salary will totally depend on Iggy's performance and conditioning during Pens playoff run. For a 35/36 yr old star with a bit of gas left in the tank (stats) he should be able to garner minimal 3.5 million, if the Pens have enough cap space after signing Morrow & Letang, etc. then they could sneak Iggster in around 5.25. But he won't fetch 6 to 7.5 million on that team unless he's playoff MVP.

As far as Skids (Crosby) is concerned he just started skating this week. The insult on his jaw, etc. was HUGE, hence the major surgery. He probably won't feel himself for at least 2 or 3 months. But he's a superstar, I suspect his doctors (the pens docs will have little say compared to sid's docs especially how they handled sid's last concussion issues) will be careful. Sid might be forced to miss the first round although the Pens will tease his return. If Winnipeg somehow slithers thru to the #7 seed (Pens opponent) I think they could do without Sid & Malkin and still eviscerate the Jets in 4 or 5 games. The Jets are super-game but they just lack muscle, finish and shutdown goal-tending against the speed and skill of the Pens. Not saying the Jets will fall 7-1 in every game, but even the game Jets will lose 4-1, 4-2, 3-2, 2-0 - those type of scores. If the Pens pull the Islanders for round one they'll have to contend with Tavares - thats a different kettle of fish and Sid might have to be pushed back into duty after the first couple games, especially if NYI wins both. He'll have to start skating soon with a full front cage-mask which will cause him to change his balance and conditioning as those masks aren't 3 lbs. - more like 5 to 7.5 lbs.