So teams can make trades during the playoffs now????

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

I don't know if you guys have heard about this yet, but apparently the Penguins just made a trade for Tomas Vokoun. Is anyone else baffled by this? Since when can you make trades when it's past the trade deadline and the playoffs are still in full swing? Granted at 3 games to none this things is for all intents and purposes over.

I mean it's a great move for Pittsburgh who, from my understanding, only surrendered a 7th round pick in the deal. Vokoun should be able to take some of the workload off Fleury's shoulders and keep him fresh for the playoffs so that he can hopefully avoid another... whatever the hell that was! And if not, well, even at his age Vokoun should still make a decent insurance policy.

I still don't get it though.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

First, on the actual trade - good for Pittsburgh as they've obviously written Rob Johnson out of their script and figure they can get a couple years out of Vokoun, perhaps Vokoun plays 18 to 25 games give Fivey (five hole fleury) a few more breaks than last year when Fivey turned to crap in the playoffs.

As for trade bans - I always thought you could make a trade during the off-season and for these teams the off-season began weeks ago.
    Just that Bettman doesn't like big things splashing his Stanley Cup final off the main pages. But a 7th rounder for a 35 year old backup goaler won't exactly make headlines other than on HNIC, a Pittsburgh paper and some canadian sports radio outlets.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Since when does the off season start during the post season? I don't remember this happening before.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

If the Flames had dispatched Iginla, Kipper & their 1st draft pick to the Pens for Malkin & Fleury I suspect Pee Wee (Bettman) would have intervened and told them to wait a week.

However, yesterday's trade just involved a ham 'n egger for a late round pick so it flies!

5. Rids

Rids Member

I believe the trade works because Vokoun is set to be a free agent July 1st. Basically it was negotiating rights for a draft pick so no real bodies involved. It may not be "official" until after Bettman gets boo'd handing over the Cup.