Sometimes I wish I never played football

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rids, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Every player should read this.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

How AJ can blame football for his financial troubles is beyond me. He would have had all kinds of opportunities to get involved business wise during his playing career here. He chose not to & admits in the same story that he blew it. Same with Joff. This is the CFL not the NFL with guaranteed multi million dollar contracts. Both did nothing when they played to help themselves. Just look at guys like Stu Laird & Dave Sapunjis who because of football set themselves up for financial success. Lots of guys have done that across the CFL. Easy to use football as a scapegoat. They need to look themselves in the mirror & ask the man across a lot of questions.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Well documented article, but it seemed to me AJ was living in the past instead of planning for a future and like ISO_55 said: "Easy to use football as a scapegoat." I think any player who can play in the CFL or NFL for as long as AJ did should be proud of that accomplishment rather than lament the fact afterwards. Unlike the NFL which have programs in place, I don't think the CFL has a program and hopefully AJ can promote that message of not just life after football but living after football. Maybe the reason I like the CFL so much is that the majority of the players play with the privilege of knowing you are only as good as your last game and understand that life off the field is tougher than on it.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

AJ can still make a career if he wants to. Joff too, but he has to get his life in order.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The CFLPA actually does have a program to assist players with both career development and educational achievement while playing, as well as with post-retirement education and employment planning:

http://www.cflpa.com/career.html

But, just as is the case with anything else in life, you can't force people to pay attention to what's been laid out for their benefit, especially for newly-arrived American kids who consider Canada and the CFL only a pit-stop on their way to their ultimate goal of fame and fortune back south of the 49th.

For many of them, what was only going to be a 'short stay', transitions into a long career, but the process is so incremental that it's over and done with before the player even realizes he should have been planning for something beyond his playing career, and that he should have developed off-field contacts to assist with that life after football in the very place where that career had unfolded, namely in Canada.

I think that's doubly so for young athletes who may consider themselves to be invincible, and who are going to 'live (and play) forever'.

For every Keon Raymond, who's been doing a great job integrating himself and his family into the community and preparing for both a post-football career and his and his family's life down the road, there's an Alondra Johnson out there who didn't.

Joffrey Reynolds apparently didn't do enough either, but he's young enough that his arrival at the crossroads where he now stands still offers him some options.

He's got some obvious issues to confront, but from all reports, he plans to stand where he is and deal with them, because he wants to make his future here.

I hope for his sake, as well as for the sake of his legacy as a great Stampeders player, he makes some sound decisions about 'the future', which all of us eventually discover (some to our great surprise), is really 'now'....;)

TM

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You know how life works TM... In 25 years, Joff may look back & say what he is going thru now was the best thing that ever happened to him as it woke him up. Or it may be an an anchor around his neck he'll never recover from. Whatever happens is his choice.