Stadium rumor

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rids, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So when I was in Calgary I did hear a budding rumor about a possibility for a new hockey/football structure to be built on one of a couple locations. Sounded like the goal was to share a parking lot, consolidate office space and training location.

Sounded like a mix between what Ottawa has with the Civic Center built under the grandstand of Frank Claire and what Boston College has done with their arena/stadium mix that shares a concourse and luxury boxes.

Boston College:
    [​IMG]

Of course it's now a wait and see but thought I'd pass along what was brought forward to me.

Tags:
  2. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

All I ask for is a lousy back to my seat. And make the seats wide enough for an average person. I'm no fatty but the way they try to cram people in at McMahon is ridiculous.

3. cgyred

cgyred Member

While I can appreciate what you are saying, have you ever been to Lambeau Field? You wanna talk cramped?? And it's ALL bench seating there. Then again, I can't complain anymore about where I sit in McMahon - I've got a back now.

4. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

Believe it or not, I have been to Lambeau Field. I think I was too much in awe to realize how shitty the seating was.

I've also been to Denver's new stadium and it's unbelievable. Comfy seats and never a line up for a beer or a washroom. It's time Calgary joined the modern era with a top notch arena and stadium.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The stadium in Seattle is awesome!!

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The stadium in Winnipeg is going to be pretty sweet on a smaller scale.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

That's what my dad said when he went there after the 2011 grey cup.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I haven't heard anyn rumours about this. With the finances of the province in shambles, I believe that a project like this will never get off the ground. A new arena for the Flames eventually but not a football stadium included.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

When it finally gets finished!
    This year, it will be a very spartan, basic type facility.

The Bombers have a master plan, don't they?

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I hear they're going to shoot bob irving out of a cannon for the home opener

11. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

The irony of it all is that basic economics says that building large capital government projects during economic down turns help the economy by creating jobs and increasing spending in the province.

Why not use the Heritage Fund for this now during a down turn, then build the fund back up when the money is flowing??

Instead we build a new south hospital when everything is at all time highs and it costs more than double then predicted. Seems crazy.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, Ralph knocked down a functioning hospital amid the hoopla of slaying the deficit & debt the first time. That one stupid decision has caused nothing but problems ever since with hospital bed availability. Second, the Heritage Fund is gone. There is no money to draw from to build a stadium. Third, with the talk of a $4 billion dollar deficit, service cuts, longer surgical waiting periods that will no doubt occur, infrastructure & school deficits & layoffs just how does the government sell financing (even partially) a new stadium or arena for pro athletes to an angry general public? Like a provincial sales tax, funding a new arena & stadium for the Flames & Stamps will never fly.

13. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

??? Nope, below is from the gov website:

Heritage Fund earns a 6.4 per cent in first nine months of 2012-13

As detailed in the Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund 2012-13 Third Quarter Update, the Heritage Fund earned $964 million over the first nine months of 2012-13. The fund’s fair value is $16.4 billion as of December 31, 2012.

The fund’s strong third quarter return of 3.2 percent builds on the growth seen in the second quarter, when the fund returned 3.3 per cent.

The fund’s continued strong performance in the third quarter was due mainly to the strong performance of its equities portfolio. Year to date, all three asset classes – fixed income, equities and alternative investments – have exceeded their performance benchmarks.

Since 1976, the Fund has contributed $34 billion to fund Albertans’ priorities like health care and education.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, WTH is going on? We were told the HTF was gone.

15. Flash

Flash Member

So if they build it there at Crowchild/Bow Trail then does it meet the needs of all 3 franchises?

16. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Who told you that?

17. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Not sure they would build it there for he simple reason the existing site is owned by the university. If the Flames/Stampeders do build they will want total control of the land and the stadium/arena.

18. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, there is no way the Flames are not owning the new land.

They have the cash and they will want all the parking revenues.

19. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Crowchild and Bow Trail is not University land...that site would be available for acquisition by the Flames.

TM

20. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

I saw a city plan a while and there were quite a few vacant sections of land just south of the city owned by the Flames owners....

I would bet on that personally.