Stampeders' Brett Jones is hitting the books

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jan 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

The CFL's top freshman in 2013 is now just another third-year engineering student at the University of Regina.

Less than two months after being named the CFL's rookie of the year on Nov. 21, Calgary Stampeders centre Brett Jones is back at the U of R and continuing his pursuit of a degree in petroleum engineering. The 22-year-old product of Weyburn always planned to return to school in the CFL off-season, so he was prepared to make the transition from pro football player to student. Even so, something about the move surprised him.

"The weird thing about last season is that every day was pretty much like being in class," Jones said Tuesday. "Every day, you'd show up at the (Stampeders') facility and you'd learn new things about the team you were playing the next week. It was almost like a different way of studying.

"But I enjoyed it. I feel like I'm more diligent now with getting stuff done because that's what I did in Calgary with all the film and all the notes I had to study. I feel like I'm almost a better studier now because of it."

Maybe, but isn't the material a little different these days? "You're not memorizing who's playing what position or their tendencies or anything," Jones admitted with a laugh. "Now, it's learning about reservoirs and things like that."

Continue reading: http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/fo...+Brett+Jones+hitting+books/9388562/story.html

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Whew!

I thought the thread title was a reference to another medical school application by Jones, but this time a successful one!

It wasn't, but it's clear that even his astounding success in the CFL hasn't altered his ultimate ambitions one iota.

Looks like we'll be lucky if we have him for even a couple more years.

He's got both real talent at football going for him, and a drive, as well as an apparent ability, to do something else with his life.

With that rare combination in place at a mere 21 years of age, he'll get there.

I wish him well as he follows his dream...wherever that takes him. ;)

TM

3. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

His dream will likely take him away from the Stampeders, (if I read the "signs" correctly), sooner rather than later?