News Stampeders Confirm Player's Shooting Death

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Tags:
    Bumpnrun likes this.
  2. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Terrible loss. Ditto Tundra Mustang's comments.

3. strujas

strujas Member

RIP Mylan.

4. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Cruickshank: Teachers, coaches rave about Mylan Hicks
    The introduction is not one that Antonio Watts is likely to forget.

A Grade 9 student, tiny but bold, approaches. He politely announces to Watts, head coach at Renaissance High School, that he intends to suit up.

Immediately.

“I was like, ‘Wow, what a small kid,’ but the first thing I saw was that smile,” he says. “He was like, ‘Coach Watts, I’m Mylan Hicks. I’m here to play football for you. I’m going to be on varsity.’ ”

Watts, amused, informs Hicks that he’ll first have to earn his junior-varsity stripes.

“He just smiled and turned his little head and said, ‘OK, Coach. Yes, Coach,’ ” says Watts. “And that was always Mylan – ‘Yes, Coach,’ with a smile on his face. And he did a bang-up job.”

Which Watts discovers firsthand because Hicks is begging him to drop everything and come scout the junior-varsity action.

The coach finally relents.

Recalling the moment, he laughs.

“Mylan had such a good game,” says Watts. “He came over and said, ‘Coach, now can I make varsity?’ ”

Hicks, the following year, is indeed top-flight material.

He becomes team captain, all-city, all-state – and graduates in 2010 from the highly regarded college-preparatory institution, on the northwest side of Detroit, with a grade-point average better than 3.0.

“Great kid, great athlete, great academically,” Watts says. “Never in any trouble. Never in any trouble in the school. Never in any trouble in the community. When it wasn’t football season, he was lifting weights and running track. The crew he hung out with was his teammates, all good kids.”
    Link
    R.I.P. Mylan Hicks

5. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Chris Norman remembered his close friend Mylan Hicks Monday as a very thoughtful person who was always laughing and joking.

Norman, who played football with Hicks in high school and at Michigan State, said he was shocked to hear of his friend’s death following a shooting at a Calgary nightclub early Sunday morning.

“I have never even heard of that kind of violence in Canada,” he told Postmedia.

“You make it out of Detroit, you don’t expect this to happen in Calgary.”

Hicks had aspirations to make the NFL, Norman said — a dream that did not end with joining the CFL in Calgary.

“He was not going to give up easily, and he was never going to quit trying,” he said.

Hicks was at the Marquee Beer Market when a confrontation between two groups boiled over to the parking lot, according to police.

“There was an altercation that involved several people inside the nightclub, and was believed to have been over,” Insp. Don Coleman told reporters Monday.

“Then once the bar lets out, the altercation continued and was escalated in the parking lot.” S

hots were fired and Hicks sustained life-threatening injuries. He was rushed to hospital, where he died.

Calgary police announced Monday a 19-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder in connection with the case.

Nelson Tony Lugela, 19, was arrested along with two other suspects near the scene following the shooting.

“They returned to the area on foot and were pointed out by witnesses and were arrested by patrol officers that were in that area,” Coleman said.

The other two suspects have since been released from custody.

Lugela was known to police and had outstanding warrants, according to Coleman.
    Link

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Sister of man charged in death of Mylan Hicks says he didn’t do it

The sister of a man charged in the shooting death of a Canadian Football League player says she’s praying “the truth will come out” to prove his innocence.

“I don’t believe he did it at all. I believe there’s someone else out there ... who did it ... but they don’t tell the truth,” said a tearful Flora Lugella, who spells her name differently than her younger brother, Nelson Tony Lugela.

“I’m just so upset because another person’s life has been taken away, and also an innocent person has to go through something he didn’t do,” she said Friday outside a Calgary courtroom.

Lugela’s sister and parents were there to provide moral support as he made his first court appearance on a charge of second-degree murder.

Wearing a blue jail jumpsuit, the 19-year-old said nothing during the brief appearance via closed-circuit television. The case was adjourned to Nov. 4.

Lugela was charged Monday following the shooting of Mylan Hicks outside a nightclub early Sunday morning.

Hicks, a 23-year-old defensive back who was on the practice roster of the Calgary Stampeders, was gunned down outside the Marquee Beer Market and Stage.

Officers found Hicks wounded and in life-threatening condition. He was taken to hospital where he died.

Police say there was an altercation that involved several people inside the nightclub that moved outside after it closed. Several members of the Stampeders were in the bar at the time.

“My brother was there. He was drunk. That’s the only thing I know of. He doesn’t remember what happened,” said Lugella, who added her brother is “very afraid” in jail.

“I spoke to him on the phone and I asked. I know my brother very well. If he did it, he would tell me because we’re really close.”

Police recovered a firearm at the scene.
    Link