Signing Stampeders DB Derrius Brooks signs with Saints

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

NOSaints.jpg

Derrius announced it himself today on Twitter that he was signing with the NFL's New Orleans Saints.

Congrats to Derrius!

2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

"Oh, how you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, now that they've seen New (Orleans)?" ;)

In my lifetime of following the CFL, it's gone from a league that served as a true alternative venue for a player who might not wish to sign with the NFL for financial or other reasons, to really being little more than a development league for the NFL (without the formal ties and the "call ups").

I guess there's nothing to be done about most of it given the disparity in salaries offered by each league, but I'm sure not a big fan of how things have worked out.

I've seen commentary on U.S. chat boards from time to time by well-intentioned American fans who advocate closer ties between the NFL and the CFL as a feeder or farm league for the 32 teams south of the border.

I can say, however, that the day they ever formalize "farm league" status for the CFL will be my last day of watching professional football in this country.

I personally hope that day never arrives.

But I'm not confident that it won't.

TM

3. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I do not think this would happen unless it was a business arrangements with the two league whereas the NFl gives the CFL large cash to each franchise. I do not see that ever happeniong as there is enough players for both leagues. The attraction for a higher salary and pension is the reason most will go after that dream. Besides you only want a player that wants to play here without dreaming that NFl payday.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

As you know, the CFL has previously appeared, cap in hand, on the doorstep of its big brother back in the 90's when it was strapped for cash.

As much as things appear to be on the upswing with professional football in this country now, who's to say that couldn't happen again, with, this time, even more stringent terms being extracted by the lender...

Never say never my friend...

TM

5. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

You are probably right after all money talks and BS walks right. It depends on the league sustainability. It has lasted this long I would think ownership would not want to go down that road for any money as salaries would rise with any cash being sent to the ownership groups.

6. Rids

Rids Member

The saving grace could be that the NFL has no interest in creating (read financing) a minor league system of any sort. They already have the world's best system for developing future players (and coaches) without costing them a dime. Currently they have the best young players in the world toiling every fall in the NCAA/CIS/NAIA and they have a professional league in a foreign country that scoops up those that fall into the cracks, either missed entirely or in need of some seasoning and a second chance down the road.

That said I believe the NFL would see it as good business sense to provide financial aid to the CFL like they did during that dark stretch in the 90s but I don't believe they have a desire to take operational control.

redwhite2005 likes this.
  7. oilpatchhilbily

Holly shit you guys!!! Tundra Mustang, redwhite2005: the sky is not falling!!!

Yes, Brooks is a big loss.....but it could be so much worse! Unless I missed something HUGE in the last couple days....you guys are duck'n meteorites!

We've always had the draw of our southern "cash cousins" and the '90's were a tough time for the league like you said TM, BUT, there is no way we are any where close to that cluster F'k now!

Even a Hillbilly like me knows....regardless of cash flow....there is nothing that compares to "Canada's Game" {sorry to those that hit this site by mistake - it's not hockey}

Hard for the CFL to be a "farm team" for anything other than itself - other than $$, it's all ours.....I know, I know....have heard the same BS.

Rids: you lay it on the line as always....scared me a bit with "the operational control" part though......you just answering the hypothetical part of all this or something else.....?
    Edit: guessing it's more than just Brooks heading south...

redwhite2005 likes this.
  8. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I do not think TM or myself are worried that Brooks can not be replaced. It is the nature of the beast in the off season that yo uwill lose a good player with a dream to go sit on the bench in the NFL. This is a fact of life for the CFL.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, oilpatchhilbily, as perceptive as I've generally found you to be, I'm afraid you missed the boat on that one.

I've got few concerns about the replaceability of Brooks.

My concern is a broader, longer term one.

It is not position-specific, nor even limited to the Stampeders.

And I merely happened to place it in a thread alongside the news concerning the future signing of Brooks.

You and I are certainly entitled to have different views of what the future may portend for this storied old league.

And I hope yours is right.

TM

10. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Again the fact we lose players to the NFL is really a fact of life for a CFL fan. Coaches recruit players telling them that they can hone their skill level so they have tape to provide NFL teams. I am sure this happens to attract some players. Some come up see that the game is entertaining not only for the fans but the players themselves and change their mind knowing that up here they will play down there they become bench sitters. It depends on the mind set of that player is money important and a pension then the NFL dream will be forefront. If you want to come to a a team play first string and enjoy the game and the community life style then they stay. I remember talking to Sugarfoot Anderson when he came to Calgary from LA it was a no brainer he loved the life style here not only for himself but his family. He never looked back other then doing movies! 00 Anderson was the pioneer coming into a new country and a new way of life for his kids and wife. I know my family enjoyed many years being his neighbor. Heck as a small kid I use to play with his size 17.5 shoes they served as battleships for my plastic soldiers LOL. But if you look over the years the CFL has had many good players stay and end their careers here and many that left only to be a non factor on a NFL team. Lately though in the past few years that has changed many have gone down and became first stringers! But that is not always the case.

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  11. oilpatchhilbily

Wouldn't be the first or last boat I've missed TM (the significance of the "yup" wasn't wasted on me either....hahaha, good one)
    I do hear where you are coming from guys and it hurts the league to loose players as we do, but there is no way to compete with those kind of wages. Hopefully the Canadian magic will hold out and we will continue to see many of our high caliber players

make a home / career with the CFL. Aside from that....I don't even think several "creative" rule changes would help stem the flow of players that have their minds set on the NFL - wouldn't mind a step or two in that direction if the powers

that be could pull it off successfully.

I have heard the comments from our friends to the south about the CFL viewed as a farm team (needless to say, those really piss me off). Two totally different games, ours of course is the better of the two.

As for my earlier comment, I did understand (as well as share your concern), it was the whole scenario more so than Brooks that had you guys kicking rocks down the road....just come up short in my reply (coffee had not yet made a dent in the Holiday Cheer

from the night before lol).

It would be nice if somebody came up with a viable solution to the problem.....but for now, Happy New Year guys!

redwhite2005 likes this.
  12. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Well Oilpatchbilly I look at it some of these guys come up only as a stepping stone to why they got into football. I mean there are two types of players one that is it it for the money and one that is in for the love of the game. Not sure about you but I like watching guys that have the love for the game. By bringing up the guys in it for the money you will get to watch a player for at least 2 years and when they go down to the NFL you will only hear of them if for some magical reason they get put on the field. A lot of players go down only a few get starting jobs and this has happened only in the last 5 years. Mind you I guess Garcia is an exception. But really I have no fear that some new young recruit will come in and play at the same speed as the guy that packed up and went south.

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey, 'patch, don't worry about the "yup": I certainly wasn't singling you out on the basis of your user-name, or for any other particular reason.

I've used it on lots of articulate and erudite folks.

And now...also on you! :p:D

(I'm only kidding of course...just couldn't resist my own set-up there). :D

So, please rest assured it wasn't intended as "code" for anything else. ;)

As for the substance of the issue at hand, there's no question that salary discrepancies between the two leagues have dictated a "revolving door" for player personnel.

Short of bridging an impossible financial gap, there's really not a lot to be done about most of it.

The guys who are gonna stay, will stay.

For a variety of reasons (some of them being social, or even, societal).

I look at the Reeds and the Lancasters, the Ealeys and the Moscas, the Harrisons and the Heltons of the CFL of yesteryear.

All of them great players who stayed, committed their careers to this country, helped build their communities, and became (incidentally) great Canadians.

In the present era, I look at a guy like Keon Raymond who's done the same by moving his young family into Calgary year-round from St. Louis.

For him, and for others like him, there's no way the CFL can ever compete with the dollars thrown around by the NFL.

But maybe he, and others, can be rewarded for staying by offering him some job security in the form of a "non-import" designation after a period of playing for 5 years in Canada.

Back in the era when more Americans stayed, that was a league policy which was applied to a number of long-term "import" players (Lancaster among them), who became more valuable to their teams when (as U.S. trained and highly skilled players), they could be designated as "Canadians" for roster purposes.

Was the fact that more Americans stayed, the cause, or the effect of that policy?

Dunno.

But maybe it's time to take another look at the issue.

TM

14. oilpatchhilbily

Good story Red!

15. oilpatchhilbily

NO worries TM, humour ranks high on my list.....erudite however, does not exist anywhere on said list, haha.

If there is a chance that revisiting the "non-import" designation rule you mentioned may help.....hopefully the league is already chewing on that option. Bringing back this rule or developing some other incentive(s) would be time and effort well spent IMO.

We'll never stop those players that have every intention of heading to the NFL as soon as the option presents itself.....they (CFL) should be concentrating on what changes they can make to tip the scales in our favour for those players that

are on the fence so to speak - we'll never bridge the financial gap like you say, so everything that can be done to at least turn the heads of a few should be done (for import as well as non of course)

Thinking of extremes, I chewed on one idea myself, but soon gave it up:

It involved a minimum years of service clause prior to any player being allowed into the league...I'll spare you the details as I could shoot holes into the whole thing from both sides, not to mention some kind of "perfect lawyer" (pause here for small

belly laugh lol) to write the damn thing.

Other than wild ideas like that, I remain positive the league will continue to survive despite the cracks in our system, and we would never be considered a farm team league for our southern neighbours (regardless of how many

people spout off with these kind of verbal farts).

I think we are heading in a positive direction as to the strength of the CFL. Just looking at the small town I'm from, football wasn't introduced until about '85, we now have a junior high, as well as a peewee division (and this is a community of under 10K).

Considering the development at these levels as well as looking at our increased number / quality of Canadian starters we currently have in the league VS the past, there is no doubt in my mind that we will continue to effectively replace the players

jumping the fence (I'll even go one further and say we'll continue to improve as the years go by - not just from within, but all our import / non-imports that could have made it down south, calling the CFL home instead....whatever their reasons may be,

you gotta love 'em for it).

It is for these reasons (nieve -sp? or otherwise) that I think we'll be fine...