Signing Stampeders sign QB Rusty Smith and LB Trent Mackey

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

STAMPS SIGN TWO

The Calgary Stampeders have signed import linebacker Trent Mackey and import quarterback Rusty Smith.
    Mackey played two seasons at Tulane and was named a first-team Conference USA all-star in 2011 and a second-team conference all-star in 2010. In 24 career games for the Green Wave, he registered 269 total tackles including 21.5 tackles for loss. Mackey added 4.5 sacks, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions.

Smith was a sixth-round draft pick of the National Football League’s Tennessee Titans in 2010 and he saw action in three games between 2010 and 2012, completing 23 of 45 passes for 234 yards. He played four years at Florida Atlantic and graduated as the school’s all-time leader in passing yards (10,112), completions (768) and touchdowns (76). He was named the Sun Belt Conference’s player of the year in 2007.

The Stamps have released import quarterback Brian Hudson.

http://stampeders.com/article/stamps-sign-two

2. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Notes-linebacker Trent Mackay
    Mackey graduated from Tulane University in May 2013 with a bachelor degree in Liberal Arts with a focus on Sociology. But his chosen profession was back within his grasp.
    " I understand that timing in life can be everything. In this case, the timing just wasn't very good," Mackey noted in a matter-of-fact manner. "I lost my last year at Tulane because of things that I couldn't control and by the time the situation was cleaning up last summer, the Tulane staff , coaches and I agreed that it was simply too late to step back into the program, especially with everything that had happened. So I elected to train over the fall (at Sonic Boom) get myself into really good football playing shape for pro day workouts and tryouts and let the individual teams make their judgement. I've got a good (reputation) having played well against some pretty good teams and I think the people making the decisions will be able to see that I'm a football player who can help them."
    Featuring a sculptured frame with low body fat, he still possesses outstanding skills as a tackler and fast recognition of plays early in development which comes from meticulous film study and a keen football IQ. He has an affinity for working hard.
    "He's a classic MLB," emphasizes Sonic Boom proprietor/trainer Wyatt Harris about Mackey. "He has great movement in space, takes proper angles with functional speed. He wants to do defensive back drills. He can run downfield ( pass defend) and transition. Thank God that ( accuser) stepped up. ( Mackey) could have been a high draft pick had that never happened. One day his life was changed. He has a better appreciation for life now. He trains 6 days a week. He understands how fast things can change."
    Link

Rusty Smith,QB
    PRO:
    The Titans used their first of two sixth-round selections in 2010 on Florida Atlantic quarterback Rusty Smith, a strong-armed signal caller with solid vision and pocket awareness. The three-and-a-half year starter for the Owls can make all the throws and excels as a passer outside of the pocket. He entered the NFL having led Florida Atlantic to their first two Bowl Game appearances in school history.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
    • As a sophomore, Smith was named 2007 Sun Belt Player of the Year and set FAU records for a season with 3,688 passing yards and 32 touchdowns. He led the Owls to their first ever Bowl appearance, a victory against Memphis in the New Orleans Bowl.
    Link

3. Rids

Rids Member

Rusty the Rifle has a new home.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

What happened with Hudson? Maybe too much to learn?

5. Rids

Rids Member