Trade Stampeders trade DL Charleston Hughes to the Ticats

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Charleston Hughes has been traded to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, per sources.

Hughes played in 147 games for the Stampeders recording 372 tackles, 99 sacks, 23 forced fumbles, three interceptions and one defensive touchdown.
    Link

UPDATE:

The Calgary Stampeders have acquired a 2019 fourth-round draft pick from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in exchange for international defensive lineman Charleston Hughes. The Stampeders and Tiger-Cats will also exchange fourth-round picks in the 2018 draft with Calgary getting the 28th overall selection and Hamilton receiving the 34th pick.

“In a salary-cap world, sometimes difficult decisions have to be made and this is definitely a very difficult decision,” said Stampeders president and general manager John Hufnagel. “Charleston has been a big part of our winning ways over the past 10 years and I thank him for his service and for the positive impact he made on this organization and this community. I wish him nothing but the best for the future.”

Hughes joined the Stamps in 2008 and played a total of 162 games – 147 in the regular season and 15 in the post-season – over 10 seasons. The 34-year-old Saginaw, Mich., native leaves the Stampeders with a share of the franchise record with 99 career regular-season sacks. Hughes also had 372 defensive tackles, 38 special-teams tackles, three interceptions, 23 forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries and one touchdown as a member of the Red and White.
    Link

#1 Seeker1, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I did not see this one coming...

And before I read the text, it occurred to me that it must've been due to the club and Hughes being unable to reach agreement on a new contract.

After reading the text of your post, it seems that's exactly why his rights were traded.

I guess the Ti-Cats are confident they can reach agreement with him, and I'm sure that geography won't hurt those negotiations, because Hamilton's a whole lot closer to Chew's home in New York than Calgary is...

He'll be missed in Calgary, that's for sure.

A 4th rounder in return ain't much, but if he was goin' for nothin', anyway....;)

TM

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess the plot thickens...

Hughes is not a free agent and Calgary was not about to lose him for nothing, but traded him away while under contract to Hamilton in an evident salary dump.

However, it appears that the Ti-Cats didn't really want Chews, either, and they flipped him an hour or so later to, of all clubs, the Saskatchewan Roughriders!

It's Hamilton's business concerning what they do with a player's rights, (and Calgary's got no say about where a player might end up after he's been traded), but to only get a 4th rounder for a player already under contract when that said player is the all-time Stampeders sack leader (tied alongside Will Johnson) and is someone who played with the club for a decade and will one day end up on Calgary's Wall of Fame?

Not good enough.

I'm sure we'll see a lot more of Hughes in 'riders green over the next season or two than Stampeders' fans had ever dreamed would be possible.

Unfortunately.

Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us...

TM

4. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

.... and now he is a Rider!!!! Boo! Hiss! A Rider???

The first deal of the day sent the two-time Grey Cup champion to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, but hours later he was the newest member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders as he was flipped for Vernon Adams Jr.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Ugh, to the Riders - sorry about your luck Charleston.

6. 3rd and 1

3rd and 1 Member

I certainly wouldn’t be to concerned for Charleston’s luck. In fact I would suggest his luck certainly improved his situation. He now gets to move out of the oldest and somewhat rundown stadium in the league. To the newest and finest jewel Stadium of the CFL. The stadium has world class facilities for the home team and they are incredible. Hughes will feel like he checked out of a Small town Motel 6 and checked into the Skylofts at MGM Grand.
    Charleston’s D-line will also have recently resigned super stud Willy Jefferson on the other end. With the middle being plugged with second year up and Commer Rakem Cox. Together they will be a force.
    Plus for the 1st time in his 10 year CFL career. Instead of half full home stadium. Hughes will know what it’s like to play for sell out crowds.
    So we are all pretty sure Charleston will feel privilidged by SK and the Rider fans. No doubt slighted by Calgary. I can’t wait to see Hughes put BLM down to the turf hard and fast.
    Bring on Season 2018. Can’t wait.