Stamps bet on DB duo

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Manning, Richardson could be in mix to replace departed Calgary Stampeders DB Keon Raymond

It’s hard to pull off getting paid at a job interview.

But if the Calgary Stampeders’ annual three-day stay along the Gulf Coast ended Sunday, Travis Manning would have a little extra cash in his pockets.

The 25-year-old has his athleticism to thank, as well as a friendship he developed with Shaquille Richardson while both were making a quiet cameo on the Stamps practice roster last fall.

“He’s an awesome dude,” Manning said Sunday, the second day of the mini-camp affair that featured a pair of practices at IMG Academy. “I’m happy that he got to come to the camp and I love competing against him. We were making bets when we were doing the standing broad jump and the vertical. We compete all day, every day like, ’Who’s getting more picks today?’

“Right now, I’m up $40.”

It should be less, but Richardson, a 24-year-old product of the University of Arizona, missed an opportunity to make a wager prior to providing the highlight of the afternoon session Sunday, making a leaping interception that drew a couple gasps from other Stamps hopefuls.

“I should have bet him with the interceptions,” Richardson said with a grin. “We were supposed to, but he’s super athletic, so he broad jumped out the gym and verted out the gym. He actually beat me by a half inch on the vertical.”

It’s turned into a beautiful relationship, not only for the young DBs, but for Stampeders defensive co-ordinator DeVone Claybrooks, too.

“They’re like Tweedledee and Tweedledum now, yin and yang,” said Claybrooks, who rarely passes up an opportunity to crack a joke at the expense of his young guys. “I like it because they’re really competitive with each other and push each other in practice because they have dumb bets on who’s going to get picks and those type of things. Both of them can’t catch a cold, so it’s a valid bet, I guess.”

Continue reading: