Signing Stamps extend Federkeil

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Calgary Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel is pleased to announce that national offensive lineman Dan Federkeil has signed a contract extension. As per team policy, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Federkeil has played 24 regular-season games, two playoff games and a Grey Cup over two seasons with the Stamps. Playing right tackle, Federkeil was part of an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the league in both 2013 and 2014 and helped pave the way for running back Jon Cornish to finish as the CFL’s leading rusher in both of those seasons.

“For the past two seasons, Dan has been an important part of an offensive line that has been a big contributor to our success,” said Hufnagel. “He brings great ability, intelligence and veteran leadership to the unit.”

The Medicine Hat native spent four seasons with the National Football League’s Indianapolis Colts, for whom he played 28 regular-season games and a playoff game and earned a Super Bowl ring. He was the fifth overall draft pick by the Toronto Argonauts in the 2006 CFL Draft and was traded to Calgary on Apr. 8, 2013.

Federkeil played five seasons with the University of Calgary and in 2005 was a finalist for the J.P. Metras trophy as top lineman in Canadian university football and was the Dinos’ male athlete of the year.

“I’ve enjoyed playing in Calgary and look forward to this opportunity to continue my career here,” said Federkeil. “Winning a championship with this group of players was a great experience and I’m ready for the challenge of trying to do it again in 2015.”

2. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

with his ability to come back and play at the high level has been huge for calgary. national or international he has been among the top RT in the CFL. A national RT makes for a lot of flexibilty for roster moves.