GAME DAY Stamps in Montreal

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by fireguyfire, Jul 14, 2017.

1. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Usual story; offence sputtering in the first half; unfortunately the defence looked brutal on the last touchdown drive too.
    Can't always rely on half time adjustments to win games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

STAMPS LOSE TO MONTREAL??? OUCH!!

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It just wasn't to be tonight.

It was an inconsistent effort by the Stampeders, and despite some second half heroics by Calgary, it wasn't enough to deter a determined assault by Les Alouettes.

For me, the difference essentially came down to Messam's gaffe in the second quarter when he fumbled the ball deep in his own end, Montreal recovered, and their defence scored the major. Then Messam compounded that error in the same play by allowing an Alouettes assclown named "Chippy" Cox to bait him into taking a major foul in the Calgary endzone just as Montreal scored, and, what's more, received a disqualification for doing so.

The loss of Messam from Calgary's roster in the second half really limited the Stampeders' offence, and forced them into essentially a passing game with occasional forays into the line from Finch (who, despite his elusiveness, is not the powerback that Jerome Messam is).

You can't win 'em all (despite my wish every year to see an unbeaten season from my favourite football club), and our heroes are now 2-1 and 1.

They can still better their near record-setting season of last year, so until that changes, let's shoot for that.

At least until we get to late season shenanigans, and the "ultimate prize" remains the only goal.

As it should be.

Go Stampeders!

TM

Jason Newlin likes this.
  4. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

The Stampeders got what they deserved;overall, aside from a few "glimpses", a very inept performance. Yes, injuries play a part in this, but has father time caught up with some players? Messum? Federkeil?

I wonder what happened to the National O-lineman that the Als cut. The Stamps are desperate for another younger National O-lineman. I would hope the Stampeders DO NOT make a desperation trade to acquire one. Such a trade would haunt the Stampeders for years to come. (I believe they have done that in the past?)

It should get quite interesting in the next few weeks!

5. strujas

strujas Member

Nothing new in Montreal. I think the Stamps are 3-8 in there last 11 in Montreal.

6. strujas

strujas Member

I'd hate to be the team that gets to play us next week in Cowtown...

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  7. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Wothout a truly balanced offence, and a suspect O-line, it was only a matter of time before the result would be a loss.
    The major losses on the D-line compund the Stampeders sputtering problems .

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

They took a gamble, and (in favour of Roy Finch) sat Terry Williams, who I think has shown he can be an explosive force out of the backfield. (I won't say that he could have made up for the loss of Messam, but he's a little bigger than Finch, and just as fast). With him in the backfield, maybe Calgary has a little more success in sustaining drives using their running game.

And eats up more of the clock.

I agree that a lot of their inconsistency on offence is due to injuries up front on their O-line.

With that in mind, why Jacob Ruby is still a free agent eludes me.

TM

9. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I blame it on the poutine and smoked meat sandwiches.
    All kidding aside, this team is really decimated on both sides of ball, especially in the trenches. I just don't know how this team cannot stay healthy. Every team has their share of injuries, however I think after 2+ seasons of injuries they are starting to catch up to this team.
    Even if Messam wasn't disqualified from the game I don't think he would have made a difference. With so much inconsistency from the Oline I don't think they can run the ball effectively right now.
    I am no coach, but why isn't Levels playing? I think he is a better choice than Osiage in the secondary. As well, I don't know if he is playing injured but Jamar Wall is nowhere near the player he has been the last few seasons. As a group, since last years Grey Cup the Stamps secondary is getting lit up and giving up way too many big plays.

Jason Newlin likes this.
  10. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

The greenies come to cowtown next week. Should be no problem
    for the stamps... I hope.

strujas likes this.
  11. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

TM is right, plenty of season left. C'mon stampeders you can do it.

12. strujas

strujas Member

I'll be at that one cheering on our Stamps!!! GO STAMPS GO!!!!

Tundra Mustang and Jason Newlin like this.
  13. strujas

strujas Member

Looks like Edmonton just picked Ruby up...

14. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Indeed! He is an Eskimo. It is year two since the Stampeders' Director of Personnel fled to Saskatchewan to become Assistant GM and Personnel Director there. So .... so far, not impressed with his replacement---- Hufnagel Jr. :(

15. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

Should be a perfect game in cowtown this Saturday.
    PACK THE STADIUM STAMPEDERS NATION!!