Stamps Players Headline Impressive Group of former Big Sky Players in CFL

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Rids you'll find this interesting.

Other Stampeders hailing from that conference include all-stars Brandon Smith and Dmitri Tsoumpas.

Another interesting tidbit is that Matt Nichols, the projected starter in Edmonton, and Bo Levi Mitchel (#3 QB in Calgary who appears also to have starting potential) went to the same school. Nichols set school records and then Mitchell proceeded to break them, win a national title and the Payton Award as top I-AA player of the year. Wouldn't that be an interesting scenario if we were to see those guys face off against each other head to head?

Also worthy of note is that reigning CFL MOP and Grey Cup MVP Travis Lulay is a product of the Big Sky Conference as well. That's quite the CFL QB factory they've got going.

Any insight as to why this might be Rids?

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

You mean like maybe on Labour Day? That would be fantastic.

There's a couple reasons for it. First the Big Sky (and another conference out east the MAC) tend to play a more CFL-esque version of American college football. Little more wide open, some more passing than some of the bash and crash style that some conferences are well known for.

What folks sometimes overlook is that you play 8 or 9 games in your conference schedule so that top student athlete (your prototypical 5 Star recruit) that is heading to Alabama may not have even worked in your system at Sacramento State. Careful there! That's a spot I get into trouble with folks that don't read the lines that follow. So if you were going to hit reply and blow me up for saying that just wait, I'm not saying the nation's best players wouldn't be successful wherever they choose to go to school. I'm saying that a player in the wrong system won't have the same success as they would in the right system.

Mark Ingram wouldn't have been a first round draft pick had he gone to Portland State, Ohio or Northern Illinois. He just wouldn't have. He would've put up the same numbers at the Combine, he would still be a good, solid running back but he wouldn't have had the Heisman, the numbers or the exposure playing there as he did at Alabama. Likely he would've been a 3rd round pick and still be a 3 yards per carry NFL back.

Terrell Pryor would've put up some gaudy numbers had he gone to Ohio instead of Ohio State. It would've fit right into his wheelhouse when it comes to skill set and abilities. Likely he would've been better served playing at a MAC school than at a B1G Ten school but the kid was a phenom and took a Div 1 deal (like we all would've) from the larger, better known school.

The best recruiters and scouts for teams are the ones that understand what they need and where to go to find it. Do you want to get a receiver from a team that passes the ball 15 times a game or 50? Do you want a running back from a team that runs it 20 times a game or 40? Likewise you want a linebacker from a school that faces the run/run option/screen option more often because they'll be better used to reading the play and you want a cornerback from a conference that throws the ball more often because they are used to seeing the ball in the air.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jim Barker used to tell me that he really likes the MAC because as you say, that's where they like to throw the football. Ben Roethlesberger & other well known NFL & CFL qbs come from the MAC. Drew Brees played for Joe Tiller at Purdue & he was heavily influenced by what we did up here passing the football. But how can any kid turn down Alabama or the University of Ohio for a smaller school?? It's tough to turn down the opportunity to play on a national rather than a regional stage.

4. Rids

Rids Member

No that's the rub in the whole scenario. Kids, their legal (parents/coaches) and illegal handlers will always love the spotlight and head to the big schools. I like to think in the best scenario for the kid light that doesn't always include those big schools.

Take for example Canadian Brett Weir that is down at Arkansas. He may never see the field at Arkansas even though he's ideal height/weight/size/strength/speed for the TE spot there. Playing at a MAC or CUSA or WAC or Big Sky school and he would've had a shot last year.

Or Canadian Stephen Alli playing at Florida. The kid is 6'6" and runs a 4.4 40. Stuck in the depth there he won't finish his college career with more than 20 catches but would've been a candidate for All-MAC as a receiver at one of those schools.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The other thing is you never know at 18 just how a player will develop. So, it's easy to sit back & say a kid should have played here instead of there. If he feels he can play then he can always transfer.

6. Rids

Rids Member

You never know how things like injuries, development will go of course but you can see style of play and where will be a better fit for the skill set. Major college ball in Canada and the US is similar in one regard - every recruit you have, they don't have. Wilfrid Laurier wouldn't be out of place in the SEC with a roster of 115 kids. You can only play so many and there's only so much scholarship money to go around but in the NCAA Div 1 (FBS) with 85 scholarships that's a lot of cash to play with. What's the real chances for players #75 to 85 to see the field during a game? Not very good.

So if your recruiter/scouting service knows that you're going to be #84 on a roster of 115 why is he sending you there? It's because you signed a piece of paper with a guy that gets paid 10% of what the scholarship is worth and a scholarship to Alabama is worth a LOT more than a scholarship to Arkansas State.

If something doesn't look right just follow the money and there's your answer.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Great advice & something I'll remember.

8. Rids

Rids Member

That's why I charge a flat rate and not a percentage.