News Stamps release Juwan Simpson

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Calgary Stampeders general manager John Hufnagel announces that the team has released international linebacker Juwan Simpson.

“This was a very difficult decision but one that was necessary because of salary-cap considerations and the need to give an opportunity to younger players,” said Hufnagel. “I thank Juwan for everything he has done on and off the field for the Calgary Stampeders. It was a true pleasure to have been Juwan’s coach these past eight years and I wish him all the best.”

Simpson joined the Stamps in 2008 and became the starting middle linebacker in 2010. The Decatur, Ala., native played 115 regular-season games for the Red and White as well as 11 post-season contests and was a member of Grey Cup-winning teams in 2008 and 2014.

The University of Alabama product was a three-time West Division all-star and was a CFL all-star and a finalist for the CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player award in 2010. Simpson has 395 career tackles, 24 sacks, three interceptions and seven forced fumbles.

“It’s been eight years, two rings and a lot of ups and downs in between,” said Simpson. “I’d like to thank all my teammates for the hard work put forth day in and day out. It’s been a great ride and I’ve enjoyed every moment of it.

“I also appreciate all the love and support that the fans have shown during my time in Calgary. The Stampeders organization and staff have been great and I wish them nothing but continued success. The journey must go on.”

2. Bronko

Bronko Member

I'm just guessing here but I suspect both Wadzilla and Tennessee Corky will be dangling offers to Juwan. Guy is obviously entering the decline portion of his career but still better than anything the Ratriders or the Bisons served up at MLB last season.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

A class response from a hard working and respected player in a cruel business.

He's had his share of critics over the time he's manned the middle for the Stampeders, and while he never had the flashy stats that some of his predecessors did, when he was on the field, he always came to play.

I also suspect that his good buddy, Keon Raymond, may not be far behind him, not because he can't play (and certainly not because he hasn't established himself as an excellent ambassador for the club in the wider community), but for salary cap reasons alone.

For now, however, it's just Juwan.

I wish him well in his future endeavours, whether elsewhere in the CFL, or in whatever may follow, and thank him for a fine career.

TM

Madman, Doogie58 and Bumpnrun like this.
  4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I'm only guessing but with Simpson and probably Raymond the Stamps want to shed some salary for maybe a potential signings for an offensive lineman or two down the road. I wondering if Hughes might be next. Especially with the last couple of years with a history of injuries.

#4 Bumpnrun, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  5. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

In Huf we trust!

6. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

I am a big fan of Juwan Simpson, but this makes more sense than you may think.

Deron Mayo filled in with no significant drop off, when Simp was out with injuries this year.

Our defence got ripped by Edmonton in the West Final. PArt of that was no QB pressure. But the whole defence needed to own that loss. and Simp was the captain.

We knew that the "Core Four" Chareston Hughes, Simp, Keon, and Brandon Smith, were going to be scrutinized not only for on field performance, but for cap reasons also. Simp probably just graded out worst. Can Simp still play, hell yeah. But you can't have all four of those guys go at once. Better one year too early than one year too late. Mayo was the guy in waiting. I predict Hughes will be the next to go - he is prioving to be injury prone. Keon and Smith had productive years last year, I'd be surprised if they gutted the ladership group all in one year.

I met Simp at Grey Cup in 2014 when he graciously came down and signed my girlfriends jersey for her at the team hotel. A gentleman and a leader. Thanks for your great play, and we'll see you on The Wall one day. All the best Juwan.

Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Will the Stampeders' release of Juwan Simpson prove apt, or too soon?
    The Calgary Stampeders made one of this CFL offseason's most surprising moves Monday, releasing veteran linebacker Juwan Simpson. The 31-year-old Simpson had been with the Stampeders for eight seasons, his entire CFL career (following an impressive college career at Alabama and a short stint with the Green Bay Packers as an undrafted free agent), and he'd won Grey Cups with them in 2008 and 2014. He'd been long been a key part of their defence, and a well-respected leader on the team. Simpson was also not a pending free agent, so this decision came as a surprise to many.
    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/c...simpson-prove-apt--or-too-soon-060251061.html

Stamps cut ties with veteran linebacker Simpson
    The off-season makeover of the Calgary Stampeders continues, and Monday’s big personnel move signals that the 2016 team will have a different voice than in recent years.
    Citing salary-cap concerns and a need to get give younger players an opportunity, the Stamps released middle linebacker Juwan Simpson, one of the defensive captains the past several seasons.
    http://3downnation.com/2016/01/04/stamps-cut-ties-with-veteran-linebacker-simpson/

Calgary Stampeders release Juwan Simpson
    Juwan Simpson doesn’t know what colour of jersey he’ll be pulling on this spring.
    He just knows it won’t be that familiar Red & White No. 12.
    Calgary Stampeders GM John Hufnagel released the longtime middle linebacker on Monday for salary cap reasons.
    Simpson, 31, has no intention of hanging up the cleats and will look to hook up with another CFL club over the next few months.
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/01/05/calgary-stampeders-release-juwan-simpson

Stamps release popular Simpson in surprising move
    Juwan Simpson’s final day as a member of the Calgary Stampeders was spent like most of the other ones during an eight-season CFL tenure.
    The affable middle linebacker is still his usual upbeat self, staying positive and trying to encourage those around him, although now he’s a free-agent for the first time in eight years.
    Getting released by the only CFL team he’s ever known was a shock, of course, but the 31-year-old isn’t easily bummed out.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foo...ps-release-popular-simpson-in-surprising-move

#7 Madman, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member