Stamps sign 2

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

The Stampeders have signed:

IMP RB Derrick Locke
    IMP DL Kenny Pettway

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Also of note is Kenny and Nik are great friends.

Here is a little home movie of them when Kenny was just signed with the Esks.

http://youtu.be/K9peYrPw-Dk

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Great article on Pettway from Al Cameron:

Stamps finally get their man with Pettway signing
    http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2012/06/ ... y-signing/

5. Rids

Rids Member

Couple of interesting things on that Derrick Locke highlight clip there. First off that was John Congemi doing the color commentary work. Congemi is by far one of the most underrated football broadcasters out there. I would love to see TSN bring him in, even if they just put him in the rotation for the summer before heading back for college ball in the fall. I mean that Bowl game was Kentucky against Pitt and Congemi was a 4 year starter at Pitt and you'd never know it from the broadcast outside a couple of jokes at his expense during the opening.

On to Locke:

He was in the Eagles camp last year. Lasted until late August but couldn't make it on the 53 man roster. Explosive guy. Perhaps faster than Coker and Cornish. That 4.21 they reference there wasn't at an official event but he did run a 4.37 at the NFL Combine. His NFL draft stock ranged anywhere from 3rd to 7th rounds but likely injury concerns turned him into a UDFA. He holds the Kentucky school record for career kickoff return yardage and had a pair of 100 yard kickoff returns. Injury issues plagued him and in his sophomore year he tore both the MCL and ACL. As a freshman he cracked ribs bad enough that it kept him out of Kentucky's bowl appearance. On the positive though he turned down a potential NFL draft pick spot as a junior and returned to school to build on what he had started. Finished with over 2200 yards rushing.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Stamps released John Bender. Another surprise like the McCune cut on the weekend. Huff said he was 8th on the depth chart...

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Pettway and Lewis finally reunited
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/p ... -reunited/

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'm anxious to see what these two guys can do. Sometimes these late comers are gems. There's a reason the team was willing to wait for them.

I think Locke will be in tough to crack the lineup at running back but maybe he'll find his way onto the practice roster if he shows well. Running back is a volatile position thanks to the pounding those guys take. You never know when you're going to need a new body in the mix. Locke certainly seems to have the build and the skill set to be successful in this league and given Coker's apparent injury issues I wouldn't be surprised if we need his services at some point during the season.

As for Pettway, I'm even more anxious to see him. Chris McCoy has shown well and should be a solid pass rusher but we still have precious little depth of impact players who can get after the QB. After a few others in camp have disappointed (K.C. Asiodu most notably) I really hope he emerges as a guy who can provide depth and even push for playing time in passing situations.

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

Juwan Simpson better look out because I have a feeling that Deron Mayo is going to make a strong push for a starting linebacker job in the next year, and right now it looks like the coaches plan on having him play in the middle, the same position Simpson plays. He'd be terrific there. With his ability to make plays sideline to sideline he reminds me a lot of Hamilton's Jamall Johnson, or at least the 2009-10 version of him.