Stamps VS Eskies

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rusty, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Rusty

Rusty Member

As a Stamps fan this next weekend is the one I look forward to the most every season. I have booked leave for the Tues after to recover. We have 2 teams coming in hot and confident after wins this week. I believe this is the turning point of the season. Whatever team comes ready to play will go onto challenge the Lions for the right to play in the 100th cup final. With our team coming off probably their most complete game what will happen over the next 2 weeks? I am saying 2 big wins for our Red and White with a blowout in cowtown. What is your gut saying?

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

A split, Russ.

There's four games against Edmonton this season starting with the Labour Day contest, and if they split the first two, the outcome of the last two will determine who finishes second in the West, since barring a complete collapse of the Lions, I'll cede first place to the pussies...;)

It may well come down to the final game of the regular season on the first Friday in November to determine who finishes where, with point differential over the four games perhaps settling the issue.

Right now, with Edmonton having a one game lead in the standings after last night, you'd have to favour the Esks unless Calgary can win 3 of 4 in the series, or unless the Stampeders can win another game on the schedule that Edmonton loses.

Lotsa season left to go...;)

TM

3. Rusty

Rusty Member

I am just talking about the next 2 games right now. We have already won the series against the Riders and I am not looking that far ahead yet. As you said, there is still lots of season remaining. If 1 team wins the next 2 the series is over IMO.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Mathematically impossible to be 'over' with 2 games to follow, Russ...even if the Stampeders do the unlikely (in my view), and sweep the next two.

TM

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

Just going with my gut TM. I think if this team can win 2 or 3 in a row it will gain the confidence they need. I know that mathematically it can't be over but if we break their spirit now it will go a long way. I believe we will win all 4 against the Eskies. These first 2 games are the body blows and we will get the head shot later in the season.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I know you are speaking metaphorically when you suggest it'll be 'over' after this series (and I'd like nothing more than to believe you are right), but with the personnel we have on the field now (on both sides of the ball), and a ferociously aggressive Eskimos defence, I'm not seeing what you are...

But, hey, who knows?

As the old adage goes, that's why they play the game...;)

TM

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

I am hoping that our O line can build on the Sask game and keep the holes open for our running game. Those frickin Eskies have broken my heart many times over the years. A split (in the first 2 games) is probably a safe bet but I am shooting for the moon. Time will tell, hopefully I can come on here and say, "I told ya". Lol.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Obby Khan - The Sultan of Seniority

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

I am hoping Obby Khan can. :D

10. fishman

fishman Member

Fact is our defense is way too good to lose both.

Yes, our offense is like watching two porcupines mate, but there is little chance of taking two back to back against us. If anything it could be the other way around.....

I'm not sure how, but this defense has carried the Eskimos and will only improve when Howard and Laurent return.

11. Rusty

Rusty Member

Fish man,
    Long time man. A split is probably what will happen but I think our D will stop the Eskies cold and I do believe that our O line has something going now. Cornish will have 3 great games in a row and our O will start playing like a good unit. I am sure that you will say the same for your Eskies. I wish they played today! :p

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

Honestly I'm just hoping for a split. If we sweep I will be stunned and obviously thrilled, but realistically against that defense I'm just hoping we can manage a split. What I'm really worried about is that Edmonton is going to find a way to force us to pass and Cornish won't be able to pound them into submission. If Glenn is forced to carry the load I'm not so sure he can get it done. Our own defense is really going to have to step up and match theirs.

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Losing McCoy is going to hurt us as we won't be as strong stopping the run through the A Gap as would have been with him.

14. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

The way I look at it the Stamps wins have come against Montreal, Hamilton, and Saskatchewan. Three teams with average to bad defenses. The Stamps have faired miserably against two of the top defenses in the league in BC and Toronto. The Eskimos QB situation certainly isn't scary but both QB's run the ball well and last week the Stamps had issues when Marion ran the ball. I believe the Eskimos defense will completely shut down the Stamps offense on Monday but DD and Huff will make necessary adjustments to possibly win Friday's game.

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Possibly indeed. When a team has a defense that strong, the opposition better have either a defense to match, or an offense equal to the task. I'm not so sure we have either. And that is why if I'm being pragmatic, I'm hoping for a split, because I think the odds are stacked against anything better than that happening for the good guys this time around. I've enjoyed the past 5 years of regularly blowing the Schoes out of the water, but those days are gone.

At least for now. ;)

16. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I just hope they can be competitive and show up for the game on Monday. Last year DD and Hufnagel did not have an answer for the Esks D. It is imperative Calgary gets on the board first. I say that Calgary will split the first two games with the Eskimos.

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

Luckily the back to back format seems to be the great equalizer. Even in years when there is a large talent gap between the two teams, it seems to be very difficult to sweep. The Esks may have the leg up thanks to a dominant defense. But overall, there isn't a huge difference between these two teams. The Stamps probably even edge them in most areas... other than defense obviously. ;)

Creative play calling--in the vein of the masterful game plan Dickenson put together to ignite the run game a three weeks ago--will be the key here. If our offense plays straight up against their defense and tries to "out execute" them conventionally, it probably won't be pretty. Glenn simply will not be able to do it by himself against that ferocious pass rush and lock down coverage so it is imperative that the run game is effective. Easier said than done obviously. The only way I can see that being accomplished is with a lot of misdirection plays that get more people involved than just Cornish plunging straight ahead into the teeth of the beast. Dickenson will need to get them off balance as often as possible and hope to eventually wear them down a little. If this team start two-and-outing the way they did two weeks ago it's going to be long, long night.

18. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

The last three games Calgary has had a difficult time in the first half. Edmonton's D is very good, but I also think the balance of the game will depend on the performance of Calgary's D. Against BC and TO the Stamps D couldn't get off the field either because of undisciplined play or sloppy tackling. Like I said after last weeks victory over the Riders, if the Stamps execute their assignments and don't try to play as individuals, they have a good chance for the win. The one intangible is the turnover battle and I think who comes out ahead in turnovers will win the game.