Stamps will head to West final with Glenn at the helm

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Stamps will head to West final with Glenn at the helm; broken bone in arm sidelines Tate

Tags:
  2. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Simpson will be a big blow due to his veteran leadership and savvy play at MLB. As for Fraser I really haven't been impressed with his play this season and he seems to be one step behind in his play. Again if either player isn't ready come Sunday, opportunity is knocking for Mayo and MacDougall. Yes the focus this week has been skewered for the Stamps with all the distractions, however, by now (for this season) all 40+ players on the roster have not shown that what happens off the field has effected for the most part what they have done on the field. Less off field would be nice, but then again that would be not the norm when it comes to this team this year.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I remember a time when the CFL had a 32 man roster, 16 game schedule, 4 exhibition games & a month long training camp. And players had full equipment, full contact two a days for weeks. Today, players seldom wear any thing other than shorts during camp. There's little or no hitting & during practice the players don't do any tackling, blocking, run, pass or catch fundamentals. Also, the players weren't in as good a shape as they are today. Most of them used to use TC to get in playing shape. Then I look at the photos of those guys back then. Bigger shoulder pads, the players actually wore knee pads, thigh pads, elbow pads, had bigger jerseys & pants. It wasn't about stylin' & profilin' & trying to look cool, it was about protection. The CFL & its 8 teams have gotten away from protection, I believe & I think it is a major contributor to the high number of injuries we see today & games lost due to these injuries.

4. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

So true. Image is more important than safety and health for these players. For the most part the concussion issue is the #1 concern right now. As for the rest of the body most players neglect or sacrifice protection in order for speed. Less gear = faster mobility.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The players don't look that much faster today from 15 years ago. What I don't understand are the CFL & the NFL. They have all this money tied up in players & yet they let them go out with small shoulder pads, players not inflating their helmets properly, no protection below the waist at all & they smack each other around. You'd think the older coaches like Huff & Trestman would say wait a minute here but they don't. It's okay to wear their hair sticking out halfway to their ass. It's not okay to get geared up to protect from injuries. So, what do we get? Record high number of players lost to injury as compared to a generation ago. I don't get why both leagues don't say enough is enough & mandate players be properly protected.

6. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Hey ISO_55
    I think both leagues are more interested in player and brand image than actually mandating player protection. With what you have pointed out I have another theory. While the players salary is not that great compared to the NFL, I think the player in both leagues don't think in terms of longevity. I think they are looking for the most pay on contract. For example: a player signs a 3 or 4 year contract with larger bonuses. In contrast a player 10 or 20 years ago had to sign 2 or three contracts to match what a player makes today {CFL excluded for
    the most part due to lower salaries} in 1 term contract. Therefore it was vitally important to a player 10 or 20 years ago to stay healthy and on the field.

As well, the commisioner's are more focused on the social perception of players behavior off the field than on the field. One interesting thing is to see what teams premiums for insurance compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The one thing that might end this stupidity & yeah, it's plain stupidity for any player not to go out on the field fully protected is the rising costs of insurance premiums. Maybe having to pay much higher premiums will force the CFL & its teams to smarten up & mandate that players wear all the proper protection to try to mitigate injuries.

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm actually surprised Al was aware of ztella's foray in the dark and moldy green guys' forum. Don't worry, I'm done mentioning it. No need to lock down this thread too. ;)