Strongest CFL Leg (Punter)

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Not a thread for best CFL punter ever this is for STRONGEST LEG...

Some of the current, past and vintage men I conjured up

Hank Ilesic
    Noel Prefontaine
    Bob Cameron
    Charlie Sheppherd
    Ed Ulmer
    Joe Zuger
    Dave Mann
    Paul McCallum

Feel free to share your memories of the strongest leg. Can't go by average anymore cuz most punters are instructed to be directional guys, get it out of bounds or bounce the ball. This happened a few years after blocking on punt returns was allowed.

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

rids' favorite kicker of all time Sean Fleming

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Bernie Ruoff

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Dave Thelen.
    Zenon Andrushyshyn
    Sonny Wade

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Cam Fraser

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Dick Thornton could hoof them pretty nicely during his day.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, but Thornton wasn't a regular punter. He could also play qb but the Bombers had Ken Ploen & Hal Ledyard. And the Argos had in his time there...Tom Wilkinson, Wally Gabler, Don Jonas, Joe Theismann & Greg Barton...

Bill Van Burkleo

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, Ted Gerela punted as well as place kicked, correct? Did Dave Cutler punt as well?

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Walt McKee. He was a pretty good punter. Averaged over 42 yards a punt in his CFL career.
    Cyril McFall could punt them pretty good as well.
    As could Al Ford & Gary Lefebvre.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The top punters (for distance) in my opinion the past 50 years were Hank Ilesic & Cam Fraser. I'm gonna get heat for those 2... ;)

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

The soccer boys like Mckee, Gerela, McFall had decent averages but they were all horizontal punters with a minimal arc - even Troy Westwood who became Bob Cameron's successor had that low driving punt style which is UNACCEPTABLE in today's CFL cuz w/blocking on returns the key is to bounce the ball or kick it out of bounds. A 35 to 37 net is the key NOW and whether you get it from kicking out of bounds or pooch punts it doesn't matter. Look what happened yesterday when Owens tracked an actual air punt? TD

Overall, Bob Cameron was a surprisingly durable punter who had a terrific combination of technique, power, vertical/horizontal mix, etc. He was also pretty solid kicking into winds - although like most, useless in a gale. Most teams would be better gambling on 3rd and less than 5 into a gale - cuz they usually give up worse field position after kicking.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

In today's pro ball Al, the punting is more about the entire coverage team. Starting with an efficient snap to punter and decent blocking - then its all about coverage lanes, knocking back return team blockers and stuffing the return. On balls that touch the ground - coverage teams are instructed to totally disrespect the 5 yd halo and take the 5 yd penalty. Then its a guaranteed 5 yd return - no worse!
    On high punts with limited yardage thats the worst cuz it almost guarantees a 15 yard halo penalty... combine with a 35 yd hoist and 15 penalty the net is often closer to 20. And sometimes, especially with a monster returner like Gizmo, Owens, Taylor, etc. you invite a jailbreak, especially if the coverage runs past the returner.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Currently I'd say the strongest punting leg belongs to Mr. Burke Dales. Although I think I've seen a few Shane Lechler punts sail all the way across the boarder and land up here if that counts...

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

CFL special teams geniuses would 'break Lechler's leg' if he ended up here. Basically, a guy who can routinely hoist the ball 50 to 65 yards (thats 60 to 75 yards if one includes point of contact behind the line) is useless with our lazy special teams coordinators who would rather suck the electricity out of the return game.

If I had a Lechler I'd try to teach him to angle punt inside the 20, certainly sucking the electricity out of the game, but I wouldn't want dumb flunkies (ST players generally) trying to position themselves in the lanes and try to abort a long return.

Look what happened to Jonny Puntface (aka Jon Ryan) in Wpg. a few years ago. The Bombers wanted to knob his length - he ended up in the NFL. However, they did succeed in breaking Mike Renaud - he came in with a monster leg (almost as big as Ryan) but now he's punting like Troy Westwood or Jamie Boreham....

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

I'm glad you brought up Jon Ryan. I was just about to say that in my years of watching the CFL, he has the strongest punting leg I've seen. And now? Well he arguably has one of the top 5 (certainly top 10) legs in the NFL.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Not about the strongest leg. Maver was an allstar with barely a 44 yd avg. While Burkes was booming them 45 or 46 yds every punt. It's all about net yds returned. Bottling up the returner so he can't use the entire field to his advantage. The Eskimos won 8 games with Burke & his better punting avg. We won 12 games with Maver's lower punting avg & he was an all star. You don't need a strong legged punter to win anymore. You need a guy who gets better hang time & can directionally punt the ball to strategic points on the field.

17. Rids

Rids Member

Burke was injured for half a season so that's not really a fair comparison.

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, take it back to last season when Dales averaged 47 yds a punt. We weren't very good as a team yet teams with punters with lower averages had better records than us. As we know, it's all about net yds returned nowadays not best punting average.

19. Rids

Rids Member

In 2011 when Burke Dales averaged 51.3 yards per punt and 34.1 net per punt he was a CFL and West All Star.

In 2010 Burke Dales averaged 46.8 yards per punt and 34.9 net per punt he was CFL and West All Star.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I would argue that Maver had a better season in 2012 punting the ball than Dales ever did with the Stamps. Dales huge punting average notwithstanding last year. Maver's a better directional punter than Dales ever will be. Even when he was an all star, Huff was never totally happy with the work Dales did. I can't recall John ever praising Burke Dales publicly in the media like he did when Maver was named the all star punter in the West this season. The feeling I always got from Huff was that when Maver was drafted in 2010 that Dales time here was close to an end.