GAME DAY Super Bowl

Discussion in 'American Football Talk' started by Rids, Feb 2, 2014.

?

Who you got?

1. Broncos

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Seahawks

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Rids

Rids Member

Who you got???

Peyton vs Russell

Decker vs Sherman

Marshawn vs the Media

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

The AFC starting QBs

[​IMG]

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

well that was vintage 1980s denver broncos eh? congrats to seattle and their 12th man. getting it done right the first time unlike ssk and their 13th man.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

an hommage to the broncos. guy should change his video title.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Yes very 1980s Broncos. I went into the game not really minding who would win as I grew up a Seahawk fan thanks to Spokane TV but am also a big Peyton fan even though he's playing for John Elway (who I've never liked).

However that "game" was ugly. Very poor gameplan from the Broncos countered by a well set out plan from Pete Carroll. Carroll showed that the long break between games is ideal for his coaching style.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

A lot of Canadians in BC and Alberta are Seahawks as well as many surrounding states as there are no other pro football teams in the area. I'm happy for Russell Wilson who I saw in Orlando win for NC State in 2010 and was one of Trestman's finds.

7. Rids

Rids Member

I see both sides of this...but it's still funny.

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

The Seattle Sounders won 4 soccer titles in 95-96-05-07.

Funny nobody mentions them considering they have the highest average attendance in MLS.

9. Flash

Flash Member

Well they won soccer titles pre-MLS. At least the Storm were playing at the highest level albeit women's pro basketball.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

In 95 there was no MLS so that first title was considered tops in North America. The next 3 were second division. Still no less of an achievement

11. Rids

Rids Member

Well the A-League in 1995 was drawing crowds of 4,000. That's not even WNBA crowd levels! So I don't consider it to be a major championship.

The MLS was organized in 1993 prior to the 1994 World Cup as part of the FIFA mandate but sadly took the full 2 year grace to get an official season on the books. The US Soccer Federation would've suffered a big time price tag had they not got the MLS going for that 1996 season.

Chicago doesn't claim the 2002 or 2008 Calder Cups amongst it's banner years nor does Houston claim the 2003 one. Likewise Columbus doesn't claim their 2 "AAA" Baseball championships either.

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Tough cheese if there were only 4,000. There was no higher level of pro soccer anywhere.

I guess if the Roughnecks were to win a title it wouldn't count either. Oh wait they've won 2 in 04 and 09 but it's not hockey or cfl.

13. Rids

Rids Member

Calgary as a city doesn't claim their titles as major sports league championships (nor does Buffalo or Philadelphia or even Toronto). When they talk about championships they stop after the Flames and the Stampeders. This coming from the first season ticket holder and former broadcaster for them.

A-League was the most organized league in the US/Canada at the time but the best players from the region were all playing in Europe. I would contend that championship as being a major title because of a couple reasons: #1 the MLS already had the best available American players under contract and on loan to teams in Mexico and England.

Players like Tab Ramos, Roy Lassiter, Alexi Lalas, Brian McBride, Tony Meola, Roy Wegerle for example were not available to A-League teams.

#2 they lost 3 teams before the season started and had to expand to two new locations to get back to a 6 team league! Even when the APSL was the only league they were still a second tier league.

http://homepages.sover.net/~spectrum/year/1995.html

Keep this in mind, the best team in the A-League that year was Montreal who had 3 Canadian National Team members, 3 part time American National Team members and 14 others that couldn't make the Canadian Men's National team. It wasn't good professional soccer. The NCAA soccer champs likely could've beaten Seattle and Montreal.

It's a telling stat that American broadcast companies pay more for the rights to broadcast English Premier League games than they do to broadcast their home grown product. That's something that Canadian football fans can be proud of.

deuvl likes this.
  14. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Well....well......they had cool logos at least.