Suzy Yuen, Hayley Wickenheiser & Wpg Eats & Grog

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Bronko, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just saw a great TSN feature on Suzie Yuen, the 4'10" asian/canadian girl who potted a significant goal in the first even women's world championships (hockey).

Watching in Shaunavon, Sask. was a 12 yr old girl named Hayley Wickenheiser. Wickenheiser wasn't a big girl (like she is now) when she was 12. But she was totally inspired to play hockey by watching 'that little chinese girl' play like the dickens.

There was something funny about watching TSN's piece on Yuen/Wickenheiser. It was stated Yuen works as an x-ray technician during the day and at her family restaurant in Winnipeg by night (3 or 4 nights a week)

Just happens to be the chinese take out place I've been going to for nearly 10 years. Suzie Yuen used to ride in anonymity. After today's TSN piece - thats about to end and I'm sure business is about to go UP. Great food at reasonable prices, too!

Never realized Wickenheiser was motivated to go into hockey by Suzie Yuen but something new this way comes.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

RE: Hayley Wickenheiser's Inspiration

What's the name of the restauarant Nate? I may have gone there in the past.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Its a takeout place Al. Called Peking House or House of Peking.

On the corner of Corydon & Lilac.

Chicken Soo Guy only about $9.50

Combination platter - $8.75

Can barely buy a big mac and a drink for that price, huh?

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I like Chinese Food. Is it any good? There's a Chinese food restaurant I used to frequent on St. Mary's Rd close to (north of) St. Annes Rd. can't remember the name. Do you?

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Marigold?

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yes. I used to love that restaurant. Plan on hitting it up if I get back to Winnipg this summer. That, the BDI & Chicken Delight... I miss CD here. All we have is KFC.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

speaking of women's worlds. the puck drops tomorrow. anyone here care? didn't think so. :D

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

I always watch. Less so this year. No Cassie Campbell. No Susie Yuen. No Cherie Piper. No Jennifer Botterill. No Manitoba girls on this year's roster. I suspect this year the American girls might not only win gold - they might steamroll the smaller Canadians in the final!

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Pffttt.... Rather talk resturants on this thread. Women's hockey does absolutely nothing for me.

10. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

We used to go to the Marigold and sit in the lounge when we we 16 years old. You could drink Singapore Slings all day long and they'd never ask you for ID.

Once we turned 18 it was off to the DAK (which was just across the street from our High School, Dakota Collegiate). Spent many a spare sitting in the DAK.

11. K_O_cowtown

Staff Member

Don't forget the Pembina Sal's for a cheese nip and fries.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

They've built a new Sal's on Pembina Hwy, I understand. Lots of great places to eat in Winnipeg. Anyone ever been to The Red Top?

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

The new Sals on Pembina was the scene of a double homicide shooting last summer. Couple panes of glass blown out, servers traumatized, all kinds of condiments plus blood on the floor. Owner had to close for a week for evidence gathering purposes, then close for nearly six weeks to install new carpet, fixtures, windows, etc.

I actually sat in the booth where the targets were eliminated. Only difference, I was there around 6:30pm, the shootings happened around 3am. Very eery. I've been back several times after they re-opened. Have a nifty monday special - Mr. Big Nip plus Fries for only $3, hail of bullets are FREE!

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I used to hang out at the Dakota quite a bit as I lived in Riverview across the St. Vital Bridge. Never went to the pubs much in HS as all my friends were 17 in gr 12 & I was 18... But in university, I loved the Norwood Hotel. And the pub down on Pembina Hwy by the university which name I forget. All the great live acts that used to be booked into the Norwood. Winnipeg's bar scene with live bands was phenomenal back then. Every good hotel pub had a local live band performing & the competition was intense. Until taped music was approved by the MB Liquor Commission which killed live performing because it was cheaper.

15. K_O_cowtown

Staff Member

You thinking about the Montcalm (the Monty?) Used to swill back plenty of draught there. And the Norlander and the Cambridge as well.

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, the Monty. Spent lots of time there as plenty of kids from CHS would be there Fri & Sat nites. Never been to the Cambridge. And same in university.