Tate Deflects Questions On His Durability . . . Again

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 30, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

20120715-131648-g.jpg

Stamps notes: Tate deflects questions on his durability . . . again
    Quarterback to reporters: ‘I can control only what I can control’
    Vicki Hall and Kristen Odland, CalgaryHerald.com

And on the first day of Calgary Stampeders rookie camp, quarterback Drew Tate entertained questions about his health.

Hands up, anyone out there shocked over this turn of events.

We didn’t think so.

“I’m feeling good now,” Tate said in his first official media scrum of the 2013 campaign. “I feel fresh — just now getting the throws in, getting the timing down, the rhythm down, the body language down with the receivers.”
    Tate fully realizes the media will dwell on his injury-prone past after a season that saw him both dislocate his left shoulder and fracture his right forearm.

But the 28-year-old refuses to get caught up in the outside world fretting over his perceived fragility.

“I’m just trying to slow everything down and not look too far ahead,” he said. “Just take it one day at a time. I know it’s cliché, but it’s so true. I can control only what I can control, and that’s every day. That’s my performance on the field. That’s my preparation leading up to it. That’s my mindset through the whole day.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...s+notes+Drew+Tate+deflects/8458496/story.html

2. Liske

Liske Member

I am just as concerned about Tate's durability as the media seems to be. But it's time for the media to back away from that question and just let Tate's play provide the answers. There's no point in rubbing Tate's face in his injury history. He will either stay healthy or he won't. He has enough pressure to deal with, and this season will be his true test. Actually his true test was supposed to be last season but, well, he got injured.

If he stays healthy this season, that will go a long way towards quieting those concerns. If he gets injured again (for longer than a few games) I suspect Huf will be taking a better look at Mitchell for next year as the number 1.

This season unfortunately comes with a lot of pressure for Tate. It's more or less make or break time for him.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Drew Tate will be the starting QB for the Calgary Stampeders. That announcement came from head coach John Hufnagel. As Grant Pollock reports, if that’s going to happen for an entire season, a few things will have to happen.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, don't use that word, Liske...;)

TM

5. Liske

Liske Member

LOL...ok, how about "do or die"?

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, the death penalty for failure might be a little extreme, but...oh, what the hell, why not?

This is professional sports after all! :)

TM

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Not convinced Drew is our long term starter & not just because of health issues. His demeanour on the bench, the way he prepares for games; the volcano that is Drew Tate screaming at players & coaches on the field or at the bench. He has to ratchet that back a whole lot & be the leader this team needs him to be. To rally his teammates, not intimidate or alienate. Playing football isn't just all about him which by his behaviour, I think he believes. He has to quit being the prima donna on this team. Screaming at a teammate or head coach isn't showing leadership. It is nothing but self centred & selfish behaviour. Yes, what I'm saying is harsh, no doubt. But that is the perception Tate chooses to show. And his behaviour with the media about his so called concussion last year during the Western Final? No excuse. He needs to grow up. If Tate can't be the leader he needs to be with this team then get rid of him. Let him be somebody else's problem, like Ottawa's.