Tate Says He Will Know If He’ll Stay Healthy This Season When He Starts Taking Hits

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Tate says he will know if he’ll stay healthy this season when he starts taking hits
    Vicki Hall, Calgaryherald.com

Drew Tate knows better than to draw a procedure flag by prematurely declaring himself invincible to all physical threats in the 2013 Canadian Football League season.

For Tate realizes he is not a clairvoyant, so he has no way of predicting the future.

Sure, the Calgary Stampeders quarterback hopes an off-season of intense mixed martial arts training – under the watchful eye of UFC 13 lightweight champion Guy Mezger - will help him survive 18 games of punishment on the run and in the pocket. And sure, he believes an increase in core strength and stability should help him stay in the lineup this season.

But in the end, the on-field results will tell the story.

“I’ll know more when I start getting hit,” Tate said Sunday after coming in from the rain at McMahon Stadium. “That stuff will all come later on, I think.

“During training camp, a quarterback is not getting hit. We’re not running too much. So you can’t tell right now.”
    Welcome to the new daily reality of Drew Tate as football fans from coast to coast debate whether the Iowa product is the next CFL quarterbacking star (like Anthony Calvillo or Ricky Ray) or the next quarterback dripping with promise but derailed by injury (like Buck Pierce.)

“I’ve been playing football since 1992,” Tate said. “It’s just happened the last couple of years that a couple times I’ve been hit and I haven’t gotten up.

“That’s just the way football goes.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...tampeders+quarterback+Drew/8468076/story.html