Tate sees coaching in his future

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Former Iowa Hawkeye quarterback Drew Tate wants to be a coach someday.

He hopes it can happen sooner rather than later.

Tate made a guest appearance in Clinton on Wednesday as part of the River King Touchdown Club festivities. Tate is the stepson of former Clinton head coach Dick Olin, who was the keynote speaker at the banquet.

Tate will re-visit his old college stomping grounds today and hopes to chat with Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz. Tate even has a proposal for the coach.

“I’m going (today) to try to see Coach (Kirk) Ferentz, and I’m going to say, ‘Coach, I want to coach for you, even unpaid volunteer basis. I want to be here; I want to coach for the Hawks. I want to show you what I can do, and work my way up.’ “

Tate played for the Hawkeyes from 2003 to 2006. He ranks third in career wins (21) among Iowa’s all-time quarterbacks.

“If (Ferentz) says if they have an opportunity, consider it done and see what they need,” Tate said.

The Baytown, Texas, native wants to be a head coach, and says he even wants the head coaching job at Iowa one day.

Continue reading:
    http://www.clintonherald.com/sports...cle_d8f99475-8b23-5833-b48c-6a2929917043.html

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

And here is a local interview with Drew about his desire to coach.