Tate Taking Firm Grip; Becoming a More Vocal Leader

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

I have no worries whatsoever about Tate's leadership ability. When he took over for Burris against Toronto last year and nearly lead the team to huge come from behind victory, you could see his ability to fire up his teammates. They were excited. The only question is can he sustain that over the long haul of an 18 game season.

My biggest worry is that with the learning curve he may get frustrated at times with his own play and become a little less vocal with his encouragement.

I think he'll do pretty well for himself this year though. If he can limit turnovers the way he did as a backup he'll give this team a great chance to win every time they suit up. There is enough talent around him that he doesn't have to do it himself. He shouldn't have to try to reach beyond his limitations. I don't expect elite play just yet, but he should be a good solid starter.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

This is so Jeff Garcia like it is scary. Hopefully, he stays longer than Jeff did. All the pieces of the puzzle are in place...

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

A leader doesn't go sulk on the bench by himself after a bad play or a series. Or put up a fence around him with a sign telling his teammates to stay away. A leader is engaged. He needs to be talking to dave Dickenson, on the phone to the coaches in the booth or his teammates after he comes off the field. That has to stop.

4. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

I think you are overreacting a bit here. Tate was that way last year. He's a recluse and it goes back to college. He hasn't even been a starter for a season so I believe he will mature in time. I just watched the game on the PVR (was at Prometheus during game) and I saw him standing on the sidelines the entire time when Glenn got put into the game taking with DD and players.

That said Tate was terrible tonight. No way to sugarcoat it. Funny thing is that he's been lights out in preseason since joining the Stamps and in his first preseason game as a starter he stinks up the joint. I'm not going to get overly concerned as it was just one quarter and the first quarter of the season.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Sorry Erik. Don't agree. A real leader makes everybody better. Going to sit down by himself when hTate comes off the field just sends out negative vibes that somehow, even for a few minutes that Tate is unapproachable & not to be talked to. Can't be that way. Besides, this isn't college anymore. It's pro football so the first thing he has to do if a series doesn't work is go talk to someone to find out why.

6. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Bah. No different than Burris walking off to the sidelines after an incomplete pass pointing at the coach where he thought the receiver should have been when it's obvious he through a bad ball. Something he did his entire career here. AC's always sat on the end of the bench and has never been a rah rah guy on the sidelines. Seems to me you are taking a page out of Tate's book and amping yourself up too much after witnessing a bad outing.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Maybe I am but the guy has to learn to relax a bit. Seemed way too overpumped when he was in.

8. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Oh he did but he's started four CFL games his entire career. In time he will learn to better manage his emotions. Huff and DD know the position better than any of us and I'm sure they have a read on it.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

I like the piece TSN did on Tate and his pops Olin....