The Future of Nik Lewis (Update: Signs with MTL)

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jan 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Much has been talked about, but the time is quickly approaching that the legend Nik Lewis will become a Free Agent and suit up for someone other than our Calgary Stampeders.

All signs unfortunately point to Nik being done with the Stamps.

The Stamps released a Highlight Reel of the best of #82 in 2014.
    http://stampeders.com/video/index/id/108173

Coincidence? Or perfectly timed as a way to say thanks?

Then today Nik posted some eerie tweets. (including a little back-peddling)

And then there was tonight's Calgary Herald article on his future with the Stamps.

Nik Lewis still hoping to work things out with Stamps
    It was a rather cryptic tweet penned by Nik Lewis on Tuesday, thanking the Calgary Stampeders for an exemplary 11-year-career.

Did it mean the end was nigh?

“I’m not saying it’s over,” Lewis corrected. “I’m saying thank you for the wonderful 11 years.”

The veteran slotback’s gratitude was for a video of his 2014 highlights on the team’s website.

“They didn’t have to put that up there,” he said. “It’s something I’ll always feel grateful for. They took the time out of their day to put that together for me and for the fans and I’m grateful for that.”

This off-season, Lewis has been the subject of far-flung speculation, given the fact that he is set to become a CFL free agent on Feb. 10. Thus far, there has been no agreement one way or the other, but Lewis says that’s par for the course.

“I’ve been talking to Dave (offensive co-ordinator Dickenson) and Huff (head coach/GM John Hufnagel) and we’re good, everything’s good,” the 32-year-old explained. “I know exactly how I fit into their plans. We’re on the same page. I’m very grateful for them to call me. Everything is better than what I thought it would be at this point.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foo...s-still-hoping-to-work-things-out-with-stamps

What are everyone's thoughts? Will Nik be back? Or has he played his last down for the Stampeders and will go out on top as a total Champion?

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Although, if you believe Kirk Penton, he has already been released.

3. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Solid career as a Stampeder, but time for Nik to say adieu to the fans of the Stampeders. The most recent signing of a 6' 1" 225 receiver (Steven Burton, slot back? ) appears to indicate that the Stampeders are looking to move on?

#3 Seeker1, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. Liske

Liske Member

That's a 2014 season video highlight reel, not a career highlight reel. To me, that says he's coming back, along with the fact Nik says he's on "the same page" as Huf and DD.

5. Rids

Rids Member

I wasn't sure that he was going to be there in Calgary for 2014 what with the thousand yard season streak coming to an end and all. Then in 2014 to finish without a touchdown?

I think there's an offer on the table but Nik is willing to see what else is out there. I'd guess that Ottawa would pay $20,000 to $30,000 more to get another Burris target in the mix.

6. Liske

Liske Member

Well, he almost had a TD in the Grey Cup game :) I know Nik wasn't much of a factor through most of the season, but down the stretch he started to look at times like the Nik of old.

With all the conflicting rumors and tweets, it's hard to get a handle on what's going to happen. Personally, I'm hoping Nik is at least invited to TC and shows up in great shape and about 20lbs lighter.

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Assistant GM John Murphy was on QR last night and all but stated Nik Lewis will not be back with the Stamps.

8. Liske

Liske Member

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

It is very true last season his experience on the field and in the locker room was very key to the Stamps getting over the hump and grabbing that GC. However, now they have a whole locker room full of experienced GC champions. He still wants to play but Calgary is loaded. McDaniel can certainly take over as the leader of the receiving group. Fuller, who I consider the best receiver, came in mid season in 2013 and was off the charts. Joe West a healthy scratch in the GC, you know they are deep. Price scratched in the western final. In both cases to get Lewis into the line up. Eric Rogers a rookie out of DIII school spent time with Cowboys as undrafted FA great experience attending NFL TC. went right to the Arena League where Ottawa first signed him and then cut him. returned to AFL to get some game time and after 9 games Stamps put him of PR i July for most of the season and exploded on the scene in the playoffs. In just one season he used all three pro leagues to close the gap as a DIII player to a pro.
    Anthony Parker was the next guy up as they waited for Lewis and played great. He has paid his dues on teams and they can't keep him off the field anymore. He is National receiver to boot.
    S.C. Campeau got his shot to play after being traded from Hamilton. He and Sinopoli are very similar so if Sinopoli does leave they are covered. Stamps using FB/H-Back Cote a lot CC filled the role perfectly last year as a 5th receiver on the 5 receiver packages.
    Jabari Arthur has the tag of being injury prone but really was healthy the past two season's. His rookie year 2008 spent training camp in NFL before signing and playing the season with the stamps. Missed entire '09 with injuries. In '10 and '11 he played in 14 games. In 2012 he really got the tag of injury prone missing most of the season after a hamstring. 2013 played in all 18 regular season games and he was the one who filled in for the injured Nik Lewis. 2014 started the season on the 6 game but came off early to stay healthy the rest of the season. He basically became odd man out with all the receiver depth. So I am not counting him out yet. If Sinopoli should leave. He would be a perfect fit for the 3rd National receiver. being the 4th SB possibly on the National part of the roster. Proven he can start and play, another big 6'4" SB.
    Cunningham another young import locked onto the return job with Sanders out. '15 will only be his 3rd pro season after spending his rookie year on the Packers IR.
    As I mentioned before Jock Sanders may be ready to expand his hybrid player role a bit more as a SB as well.

Tundra Mustang and Madman like this.
  10. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

I also guess for Lewis is he willing to accept a lesser role, which as the article states he will have. A thought comes to mind that they could sign him and have hime start the year off on the 6 game IR where his salary will not count against the cap. As the season moves on and injuries strike who would be available and much fresher for a half season.
    Not sure he would accept that at first as someone would be likely to sign him and bring him to TC. No guarantee he will make a roster though so that could be a back up plan. I just can't see where he can fit onto the Calgary roster to start the season.

11. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

12. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

13. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

14. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Lewis wants to return to Stamps, but the feeling doesn't appear mutual
    At 10 a.m. MST Tuesday, the CFL’s free-agent deadline officially arrives.

And Nik Lewis technically departs.

Try as he might, the stocky slotback just can’t screw his eyes shut and see himself turned out in, say, Saskatchewan green or Argo double blue or Ticat black and gold.

From experience, he knows what colour scheme is most flattering to him.

Yet pro football is a business, shorn of sentiment out of necessity, all about regeneration and re-tooling and reimagining in relentless pursuit of the grail.
    http://calgaryherald.com/sports/foo...o-stamps-but-the-feeling-doesnt-appear-mutual

15. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

A Little Love for "Thick Nik"
    I find it very hard to envision Nik Lewis sporting any other colours than the red, white and black of the Calgary Stampeders; however, in 2015, that may be a reality.

Stampeders boss John Hufnagel hasn't expressed very much interest in bringing the Stampeder great back. It doesn't appear as though many other teams are very interested either, as Lewis has been a free agent for an entire week now with very few rumours surrounding his name. The lack of interest in "Geronimo Jones" somewhat baffles me, as I feel like all nine teams should at least check the price tag on Lewis and give him an offer.

First of all, Lewis is one the best to ever catch a football in CFL history. While his production has certainly trailed off recently, he is still just two years removed from nine straight 1,000-yard seasons, something very few players have accomplished.
    http://blogskeeweewee.blogspot.ca/2015/02/a-little-love-for-nik.html

16. fireguyfire

fireguyfire Member

Any updates on Niks' status?

17. Rids

Rids Member

18. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Nik has signed on with Montreal unfortunately.

Great news for @deuvl though!

19. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

After 11 seasons with the Red and White, receiver Nik Lewis is parting ways with the team as he signed as a free agent with the Montreal Alouettes.[​IMG]

“I’ve stayed in constant contact with Nik and his agent throughout the off-season and we looked at numerous possibilities that might allow him to stay with the Stampeders,” said Stampeders head coach and general manager John Hufnagel. “In the end, the Alouettes simply afforded him a better opportunity to compete for playing time and I wish him all the best.

“Nik will undoubtedly and rightly be remembered as one of the best receivers and players in the history of the Stampeders and I know some day we will see his name and number on the Stampeders’ Wall of Fame. I thank him for all of his contributions to the organization.”

Lewis is a storied veteran who was beloved in the community and made many valuable contributions to the team’s success. The Jacksboro, Tex., native is one of the most prolific receivers of all-time as he ranks 10th in CFL history with 805 career catches and 11th with 11,250 receiving yards.

He holds the Stampeders record with 165 consecutive games played with at least one catch and surpassed the 1,000-yard mark in receiving in each of his first nine seasons. Lewis was a CFL all-star three times as a member of the Stampeders and a West Division all-star on five occasions.

Lewis was a Grey Cup winner in 2008 and 2014 with Calgary.

http://stampeders.com/article/lewis-departs-after-11-seasons

20. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Dan LeFevour also signed with the Als. Popp is on fire this off-season. This is one training camp I won't want to miss.