The Island is an Amazing Place

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Madman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

So I had the pleasure of spending 3 days on Vancouver Island this past weekend. It was all centered around Comox, but we drove to Ucluelet and Tofino and I was in awe of how amazing our country is.

I've been to Victoria before, but never to Comox/Courtney and certainly never to the West side of it.....Wow.

I have had the pleasure of salmon fishing in Langara a few times, but there was something about the Ucluelet area that was quite breathtaking.

For example:

[​IMG]

Anyone traveled to the west side of Vancouver Island?

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

In 2007 and again in 2008 we (with 3 of our kids) rented a condo for a week just off Yellowpoint south of Nanaimo and in the first of those years, I made it a point to drive over to Tofino, where we'd never been before.

After an all day drive there, we got to Pacific Rim National Park and I took a side road off the main highway on the Ucluelet-Tofino leg, and into Wickaninnish Beach.

It was literally jaw-droppingly magnificent!

I've never seen another beach in this country to rival it, and I wished we'd have had a lot longer to linger there, and to look at the other beaches dotting the coast all the way into Tofino itself.

We finished our trip with a seafood feast in celebration of our son's 25th birthday on a restaurant patio deck overlooking the harbour in Tofino, but it can chill off fast once evening arrives, even in August, and I remember their propane heaters had failed, so when the sun went down, our incentive to stay began to wane.

It was a long drive back to Nanaimo over a switchback mountain highway in the dark, and, with construction detours, I remember not getting in at Yellowpoint until well after 1 a.m.

But the experience was an amazing one, and I'd do it again.

This time, however, I'd stay over for a couple of days.

A day trip it's not...;)

TM

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed, Wickaninnish Beach was a truly amazing place. It was quite windy when we stopped there, so the ocean was putting on quite the show for us.

[​IMG]

Long Beach was also a nice stop, I can see why it is so popular with the surfing community.

[​IMG]

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The entire Pacific Coast from Alaska, BC & through California is breathtaking... We are lucky it is almost on our own doorstep. Those are some awesome photos!!