The Rutherford Show On 770 CHQR Being Retired...

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by iso_55, Apr 22, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Announced after 21 years as being the #1 rated AB talk show on radio, Dave Rutherford announced the show is retiring in July but he's not. Said he'll still be around doing other projects. The man is a master on the radio & his conservative POV captured a ton of listeners. At one point, his show was syndicated on Corus Radio across Canada. I'm gonna miss the guy but in the last year you just got a sense the end was coming as he talked more & more about retiring. He's been on radio in AB & Calgary in particular, since 1972 so it's been a long run. I also think he grew disenchanted with the political process in Alberta & the transformation of the AB Tories into the "real" AB Liberal party. And the disappointing showing of the Wildrose Party. So, a good time for him to get out when the going was good & still relatively young in his early 60's. Like I said, quite the run.

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

I heard Rutherford when he was subbed in for the notorious Babbler on Whine (Charles Adler) on Corus. Dave didn't come off as pretentious as Adler, nor as phony. Adler had some strange views and usually spent the first half hour of his show, explaining off or prefacing what he said the day before. Adler has become virtually unlistenable as he spends most of his 2 hours (about 48 minutes when you factor out commercials, news, station promos, etc)
    But Rutherford seemed better cuz he legitimately believed in what he was spewing and gave callers a legit 1.5 to 2 minutes to espouse their views. Adler has a bad knack of knocking callers out of the box in the first few breaths, if he doesn't like their tone of voice, accent, stutterers, etc.
    Pretty hard for these right-wing warriors to do anything of value as the right wing controls the country and while the Alberta Tories are watered down tories they are still tories. Adler spends 90% of his time executing vicious attacks on opposition leaders (Boob Rae, Ignattieff, Rene Simard, Sr.) and now he's just hammering the heck out of J. Trudeau. When you can't unload on the prime minister (cuz they're both part of Tribe Fasciste) you have to take things out on the opposition.
    Rutherford must be 63 to 67 now, Adler is only 60, hope your station doesn't import The Greenes (either Lowell or Roy) as they are pure unadulterated radio rubbish.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Dave Rutherford is probably 60 at most. He isn't an old guy by any stretch. He must've started in the radio business right out of high school back in 1972.
    Rutherford is very well versed in his topics & it sure comes across on his show as he can discuss just about any topic intelligently. That was one of the things I liked about him. he had an intelligent conversation yet he could call somebody out if he felt the audience was being snowed.
    He is a staunch conservative & isn't afraid to admit it. Pity the poor NDP or Liberal who dared to stand up to him on air. The past couple of years he had soured on the AB Tories becoming a Wild Rose supporter. He has been critical of the Redford Tories since they took office. So much so, that our Premier refuses to appear on his talk show. A point that he continually lets listeners know.
    Turns out he's leaving because Corus Radio is going to a talk-discussion format that is more chat than substance. Corus seems to think audiences today don't want hard hitting & opinionated hosts which Rutherford is. He's refusing to change his ways so he decided to not renew his contract. So, now you're going to have hosts who have strange political & social views trying to appeal to the masses... Like being conservative fiscally, stand for law & order yet are libertarians who think marijuana should be legalized. (Hello, Rob Breakenridge).
    Dave Rutherford's audience on 770 CHQR in Calgary & CHED in Edmonton is absolutely huge. Personally, I think Corus is nuts but it's their market share they are going to lose in the morning now so good luck to them. They want a more friendly, chatty person in the chair now instead of an opionated & hard hitting host. Sadly, hosts like Rutherford will soon become dinosaurs, unfortunately.
    I too find Adler unlistenable. The format is hokey. This Menzoid critter he interviews is annoying. They also break to commercials suddenly unannounced which is also annoying. Then they come back, he says a few words & it's another prolonged break with commercials. Just a bad format.
    The show is not worthy of being syndicate nationally. It's not even palatable locally in Winnipeg. It is one show that I wish would disappear.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Dave Rutherford is probably 60 at most, Nate. He isn't an old guy by any stretch. He must've started in the radio business right out of high school back in 1972.
    Rutherford is very well versed in his topics & it sure comes across on his show as he can discuss just about any topic intelligently. That was one of the things I liked about him. He had an intelligent conversation yet he could call somebody out if he felt the audience was being snowed. At times, he was impatient with his callers if they didn't share his point of view but name me a host who isn't?
    He is a staunch conservative & isn't afraid to admit it. Pity the poor NDP or Liberal who dared to stand up to him on air. The past couple of years he had soured on the AB Tories becoming a Wild Rose supporter. He has been critical of the Redford Tories since they took office. So much so, that our Premier refuses to appear on his talk show. A point that he continually lets listeners know.
    Turns out he's leaving because Corus Radio is going to a talk-discussion format that is more chat than substance. Corus seems to think audiences today don't want hard hitting & opinionated hosts which Rutherford is. He's refusing to change his ways so he decided to not renew his contract. So, now you're going to have hosts who have strange political & social views trying to appeal to the masses... Like being conservative fiscally, stand for law & order yet are libertarians who think marijuana should be legalized. (Hello, Rob Breakenridge).
    Dave Rutherford's audience on 770 CHQR in Calgary & CHED in Edmonton is absolutely huge. Personally, I think Corus is nuts but it's their market share they are going to lose in the morning now so good luck to them. They want a more friendly, chatty person in the chair now instead of an opionated & hard hitting host. Sadly, hosts like Rutherford will soon become dinosaurs, unfortunately.
    I too find Adler unlistenable. The format is hokey. That Menzoid critter he interviews is annoying. They also break to commercials suddenly unannounced which is also annoying. Then they come back, he says a few words & it's another prolonged break with commercials. Just a bad format. Once afternoon comes & Adler is on, I'm out as far as 770 CHQR is concerned.
    The show is not worthy of being syndicated nationally. I doubt that it's even palatable locally in Winnipeg. It is one show that I wish would disappear.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Adler has developed a ton of annoying quirks. Menzies (Menzoids) is probably the best feature of his show. He now has to bring on board some very inexperienced and shaky girls from the local radio station, sub-mediocre at best. Adler also brings on so-called experts in various fields, but if he doesn't like their message they'll be on less than 45 seconds as Adler just proceeds to his next subject or when he's in trouble, he activates his old voice-quiver trick, talks about his father trying to bring his predicated family out of communist Hungary. Man the guy hates communists, bet he wouldn't know one if he saw one.

Biggest problem is Lumpy (Rutherford) has a few pols who refuse to do his show, Adler has 10 times the number. Nobody wants to be cut off, lectured too, bolted by repetitive commercials, etc. But Adler fills dreaded mid afternoon programming for about 10 or 11 Corus stations, so in essence the guy is cheap radio. He also gets a stump in the evening on the lightly watched Sun TV where guys try to pretend they are the canadian franchise holder for Rush Limbaugh and/or Glenn Beck.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Radio stations on Corus would be better served to have local programming in that slot. Tell the sales reps at the stations to get off their ass & sell more advertising...

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

So Dave Rutherford is back on the airwaves, but this time it's on 660 News with small segments at 7:09 am, 12:09 pm and 4:09 pm.