The Top 50 Players in the CFL

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Madman, Jun 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

TSN has unveiled the CFL's Top 50 Players heading into the 2013 season based on selections by a panel of experts, and this year's top player is Toronto Argonauts WR/KR Chad Owens. Last year's top rated player, Travis Lulay, falls to second in this year's voting. Check below to see if your favourite players made the list.

1. SB/KR Chad Owens

[​IMG]
    Rec Yards Avg Return Yards TD
    94 1,328 14.1 2,510 6
    Career
    Rec Yards Avg Return Yards TD
    211 2,636 12.5 - 13
    Noteworthy:
    Chad Owens capped a terrific year in which he set the single season all-purpose yards record with a Grey Cup win and Most Outstanding Player Award.

Read the entire list: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=98360

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

Couple reputational mistakes inserted into the list, especially Jonathan '6 grams of' Hefney plus Wpg's Alex Hall (DE) who was injured much of last year and Terence Edwards who's now almost a chronic non-practice guy who can still catch the ball and probably still runs a solid 4.7 but can't take punishment.

The most glaring error the nominating committee made is NOT including Solly Bomb Bombs (Eliminian). I would think he's at least in the Top 20 of CFL players, perhaps Top 10. Hefney made a ton of chase scene tackles last year so I would easily delete Hef and insert Solly. Otherwise, pretty good list.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I expect Owens to have a so-so year. Very tough to repeat 2012's feat.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Chad Owens was the first pro player to have back to back 3,000 all purpose yard seasons in 2011. Adding the record breaking year in 2012 pretty much locks him up as the #1 utility player in pro football.

I see a similar year to 2011 in the works for him with a little more offensive yards to make up for the other teams adjusting their kicking game even more to stop him.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

TSN’s annual top-50 rankings rankle players, as usual
    Stamps pleased to be well represented on list, but some exclusions get them talking
    Kristen Odland, Calgaryherald.com

Before every season, the Canadian Football League’s television rights holder TSN releases a list of 50 players to watch as selected by members of the media.

And, like clockwork every season, there’s always an aspect of the list that gets under someone’s skin.

Nik Lewis — who was No. 15 again on this year’s list which was revealed over the weekend — explained why.

“I just think, when it comes down to it, name a receiver that can block better than me,” said the 31-year old who has been a Calgary Stampeder for the last decade. “Name a receiver that’s had three straight 1,200-yard seasons.

And name a receiver that’s done it for nine years, looking to do it for 10. I can understand if I am showing signs of slowing down. I guess I’ve dropped every year, but I keep putting up 1,200-yard seasons. Oh well.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...kings+rankle+players+usual/8573115/story.html