Theismann's reiminiscences about '71 Grey Cup

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

A nice Sportsnet feature about Joltin' Joe Theismann and what he remembers about facing Calgary in the CFL championship 41 years ago in the late November rain in Vancouver...;)

For me, the right team won that contest, so I don't see it the same way Joe did, but then I wasn't wearin' Argo double blue....:D

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree. You have to accept fate. Besides a super bowl ring isn't a bad way to make it up.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Theisman's qb partner (& I say partner not backup as the 2 qbs alternated every series at qb in 1971) Greg Barton is a personal friend of mine. We've talked about that Argo team & how they sold out every CFL stadium they played in. The way they carried themselves because of the characters on the team led by Head Coach Leo Cahill. There were some legitimate college stars on that team including Outland Trophy winner DT Jim Stillwagon, DE Jim Corrigal, LB Gene Mack, CB Tim Anderson, RB Leon McQuay, QBs Theismann & Barton along with established CFL stars like DB Chip Barrett, RB/CB Dave Raimey, FB Bill Symons & REC Mike Eben. I can tell you as I remember watching that team that before there was Swaggerville in Winnipeg, there were the Big, Bad Argos in Toronto.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Considering they were the only argo team in 30 years to get to the grey cup and take it down to the wire,they should all hold their heads up high. The stamps had paid the price with 2 previous consecutive grey cup losses. One of course, to the alouettes and sam etcheverry :D

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nope, deuvl. It is a fact that the Stamps did lose the 1949 Grey Cup to the Montreal Alouettes but Virgil Wagner was the qb for the Als that season. Sam Etcheverry was born in 1930 & came to the CFL in 1952. Etcheverry played in 3 Grey Cups, 1953, 54 & 55 losing all of them to the Edmonton Eskimos. Too bad he couldn't have at least won once as a player. Now, in the 1970 Grey Cup, the Stamps lost to the Als as well... Sonny Wade was the qb & Sam Etcheverry was the Head Coach.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

i did mean sam etcheverry the coach iso. :huh:

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Thought you meant the Stamps lost to Etch as a player...