Those Kickers

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rids, May 14, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Interesting article - here's the Stampeder kickers:
    Full thing - http://kickology.blogspot.com/2012/05/c ... art-2.html

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Easier said than done, Scott. Not gonna be easy beating out Maver who can punt & place kick. He has to have an edge being able to do both. I expect Paredes to make the team along with Maver. Paredes has a stronger leg & will be the PK. Maver the punter.

3. Liske

Liske Member

Why would less hang time be preferable? I don't quite understand.

iso...?

4. tvp2003

tvp2003 Member

Not an expert but I'm guessing the five yard rule. No point in having the punt return guys waiting for the ball to land when they can't advance on the returner. Also, with the wind/weather conditions in the CFL, a line drive will cut through the wind better when it's blowing against you.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I would question the Aussie's explanation of the coaches wanting a line drive as that would mean the punter would outkick the coverage downfield allowing for a big return. So no, the coaches don't want line drives. Aussie better speak to Killam & get that straightened out or he'll be out of a job before he knows it.
    By placing punts, it slows down the returner as he has to run to a certain part of the field to get the football. That allows the cover team time to get downfield. It also is more difficult for the punt cover team to set up its blocking if it is hustling downfield with the returner & then having to set up the blocks after that.

6. Rids

Rids Member

It's a different deal kicking in Canadian or American football than kicking in Aussie Rules. In the AFL the kicks are higher to allow for the players to mark under them and catch it, they are kicking to their teammates in that version.

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I honestly think this is going to be one of the best battles to watch in camp.

Here are some good quotes from McMahon today.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I still think Maver will be our punter as versatility is everything in the CFL. Paredes proved he is a CFL kicker last season. Strong leg or not, unless Crough punts into the stratosphere, he'll be playing somewhere else. (I suspect Winnipeg, Nate). In the CFL, you don't need a strong legged punter, so a guy with a 42 yd avg is fine as opposed to a 48 yard avg as long as the cover team does its job. But you absolutely need a FG kicker with a strong leg. It may come down to a 50 yarder to win the Grey Cup. I have confidence Paredes can do that for us but not Maver. Maver would be great as an injury replacement, short termed kicker but not our full time one.

9. Rids

Rids Member

The Ticats have added an Aussie kicker too. He was kicking 65 yard punts with a 5+ second hangtime. The biggest learning curve is the placement that they'll have to get used to compared to targeting a player down field.

10. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Heard our ST coach Mark Killam yesterday on CHQR. Talked about Rob Maver. Didn't sound too enthused about him. He has to win a job. Won't be given to him.

12. Christoph

Christoph Member

So would Crough be considered an import then?

13. Rids

Rids Member

Nope because his first organized football is in Canada he is a non-import.

14. Christoph

Christoph Member

Isn't this his first organized football?

15. Liske

Liske Member

I think that's what Rids meant. If a player hasn't played organized football before the CFL, he is considered a non-import.

Another interesting thing about Crough is he is a lefty. So ball drop placement on the opposite side for him will be easier. One extra thing opposing teams will have to scout for.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

It also seems to mess with returners now and then since they're not used to it doesn't it?

17. Rids

Rids Member

Left foot kickers have an opposite spin on the ball which can be interesting in the CFL where the urge to catch a punt in the air isn't as great as it is in the NFL to call for a fair catch.