Tiger Woods: Is it Over?

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Bronko, May 10, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tiger looks like a solid pro but his results are becoming more and more paltry.

He unleashed a 2 over 74 at the Players today.

Lots of good shots, lots of botchery and mediocre putting.

The leader is 65, 9 up on the Tiger already!

I suspect at 36 Tiger still has 3 or 4 years of golf left before he calls it off.

He won't be a dominant player anymore, imho. Just too much wildness and lack of confidence in his swing pattern. Mediocre putting doesn't bail out the bad shots, either!

But I still think he'll come up for air the odd time and bomb the field with some Tiger missiles and show up some of today's stars (Rory, Bubba, Phil, OrangeMan, etc.)

Might win another major, probably 2 or 3 more regular PGAs and he'll be involved in some more Ryder Cup drama (either as coach or captain, maybe one more go as a player)

This is one guy who will never compete on the senior (champions) tour. This guy will definitely not become a ceremonial golfer. He'll have it all tied down by 40.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, the story I read is that he had a falling out with his private swing coach about 8 years ago & has been working with another guy ever since who changed his swing to what he has today. Time for Woods to fire him, eat a lot of crow, go back to his old coach & start playing winning golf again.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tiger can still hit it a ton (330 to 350 yd drives) and he's actually a bit more accurate than he was when he was grabbing majors by the load.

And his short game is still fairly solid, bailing him out when worse comes to worse.

However, he's not sinking those 20 or 30 foot magic putts he usually did. And he's missing too many 5 and 6 footers.

Fooling around with skanks, considering your model swedish wife as a piece of puke and dropping $1 tips around like manhole covers at the various strip clubs he situated himself at didn't help.

But the guy can still monster up the odd round, perhaps not four in a row - which most pros need today to win the better events!

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The guy is in his late 30's. Still should be in his prime but clearly his best days are behind him. He may decide that it's not worth it anymore to compete & retire.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tiger is a proud man (when it comes to golf) and he's accumulated 14 majors in his trophy case. Plus all his amateur accolades. The guy was bred to play golf - he's not gonna fold up his tent at 36 or 37, he'll trudge on for at least two years before re-assessing. If he goes empty the next 20 or 30 tournaments, I'm sure he'll go the Bobby Jones route and retire well before his time.

Ain't gonna continue hackin' away to the age of 61 like Ben Hogan or 78 like Slammin' Sammy Snead! But even I admit their haven't been many legends of golf that packed it in early like Bobby Jones.

Nicklaus - won his last major at 46, continued playing seniors golf til age 63 or 64, shadow of his former self
    Palmer - still soiling himself silly at 81 or 82, occasionally shoots in the mid 80s, mostly 90+
    Snead - almost shot himself right to the pinebox
    Hogan - played til early 60s
    Gary Player - still a senior threat at 71
    Tom Watson - almost won a British Open at 59 or 60 albeit for a choked putt
    Nick Faldo - went to announcing at 47 or 48; now 55 or 56, won't play seniors golf
    Colon Montgomerie - still hacking at 49/50, never won a major
    Byron Nelson - quit fairly early, around 45 yrs of age
    Greg Norman - all-time choke act, still playing at 54/55 despite assorted injuries
    Phil Mickelson - still very competitive at 43/44, could have had 8 majors by now if not for brain fartation
    Annika Sorenstam - quit the sport early, around 36

Edit: I was wrong about Lord Byron Nelson; he actually quit at 34 to become a rancher - won 52 times on tour, ranking 5th all-time, won 5 majors in a relatively short career.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Couple of things: Why did Annika Sorrenstam quit when she was still the best female golfer in the world? Mikkelson's brainfarts... Cost him this years Masters... Wow!!

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Annika got married and started to raise a family. Thats her explanation.
    She was really that dominant - her steely demeanour on the course was unparalleled, nobody did it better.
    She probably saw the Asian wave coming and decided to bail a bit early, get a head start on family matters.
    Currently, the young asian Yani Tseng is ripping up all comers on the ladies circuit.
    The top two american stars Natalie Gulbis (who has never won) and Pink Panther Paula Creamer are the LPGA's glamour girls. Gulbis is a magnetic personality who's main weakness is indifferent shot-making while Creamer is a true female panther, has won a couple majors by 23, several other tourneys but right now health problems have broken her spirit and she usually barfs up at least one poor round per tourney (73 to 75) but she's still the face of the tour. Neither Gulbis nor Creamer are even in the Top 25 money earners on this years LPGA tour - in fact, 8 of the top 10 are asians. Thats why I call the LPGA, The Asian Tour!!!
    [hr]
    Phil is Phil. Great entertainment, as he walks golf's tightropes.

There's always been bold but brainless guys like him in golf. Sam Snead never won one of the majors, despite winning the most tournaments ever!

The great canadian pro, Moe Norman never really played in american majors, the exception being the 1957 masters - but moe was disqualified as masters officials couldn't quite cope with moe's disabilities and slightly offensive off-course demeanour! Moe never played a masters or any other american major after that - despite being the biggest winner of canadian pro events - EVER!!!!

8. Newton

Newton Member

Just because a player has done better in his past doesn't mean his best days are behind him. Tiger was extraordinary for being so dominant in his 20's in the first place. He is in his 30's and just entering the time of his career when he should be reaching the pinnacle. His problems are mental, he can fix them.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't think he's hungry anymore. He could quit today & never work again & live a fabulous life without ever having to worry about money. That takes the edge off. I'm with Nate here, if his game doesn't come back by the time he's 40, he'll leave. Never play the Seniors Tour.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tiger will be done by 40 no matter what happens. If he resurrects his game and starts winning the odd major and the odd regular PGA event, he'll keep plugging the meter.
    However, if he starts feebling out, flailing away with errant shots and muffed putts he'll draw the line.
    If he goes into deep freeze after the next 15 to 20 tourneys I wouldn't be surprised if he announces he's 'leaving the game'. Which means he'd be temporarily retired.

Then maybe when he's 38 he plots another comeback and calculates whether he can find a way to get to Nicklaus's major number (18).

I think his best bet is to try and get one of the two remaining majors this season under his belt so if he does hang it up for a year he can come back for two years and win 3 out of 8 majors to tie Jack's record. If he doesn't nab a major this year, I can't see him coming close to Jack.

Right now, I'd say Tiger has about a 20% chance of matching Jack. Maybe a 5% chance of breaking it.

11. pizmo

pizmo Member

Hate to break into the Iso-Bronko thread but Tiger will keep playing until there's no hope to tie or beat Jack's major wins.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Don't think so Piz - too many dart-chuckers and hot young studleys on the tour now. Even the Old Tiger would have trouble dominating the field now, albeit with McIlroar, Phil, Fowler, Bubba, etc.

By the same token I know where you're coming from, Ty is a proud man (for a skankster) and he'll keep chasing Jack, but only until he realizes he ain't gonna break the record, might not win more than 1 more major.

My guess - when Tiger wins his next (and final) major he'll hang up his bag and disappear into the ether. (and the sleazy strip clubs and hoar houses will be glad of it)

13. Rids

Rids Member

Tiger won't disappear. The guy gets paid too much to do it and the TV ratings fall when he's not involved so they'll continue to find ways to get him there. Between special events or changing the rules for entrance into the Masters so that he has to be on the regular circuit more often. Something will happen to keep him involved.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tiger will make his own rules Rids. Thats the way he is. Thats the way Sgt. Earl trained him. He'll cut bait on the PGA whenever he decides, not when they tell him!

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

"Ty is a proud man (for a skankster)" . LOL! That is a great line, Nate.:)

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

The longer Tiger goes dry (without wins) the more most golf fans will forget about his indiscretions against his wife and family. If Tiger can re-start the engine and fire up those 66s and 67s he continually put up on the board, he'll start mauling the fields again. But right now, he's just the world's most famous journeyman pro.

Yesterday, at the Players, just as he was ready to pounce the field and make his move, Tiger muffed a short 14" putt that ruined his charge and muzzled his round. He probably needs to shoot a round of 59 today to force a playoff - and thats not gonna happen!

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tiger clowned out again yesterday, fire-balling a final round 73 to finish well up the track. At least he made cut.

Kooch (Matt Kuchar) won the deal and the only thing note-worth about Kooch is he's a Jimmy Fallon look-a-like. Very little drama in the TPC. . . . other than Kevin Na ascending to Public Enemy #2 (after Tiger) with his repetitive waggling, backing off the ball at address and re-ligning his shots. He was warned several times, put on the clock and booed unmercifully by fans but he appears to have some form of anxiety disorder that causes his behaviour.