Tilman back in, what about Lyle?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

If vermin like Eric Tilman can return willy-nilly to the CFL what bodes for Lord Lyle Bauer, ex of Calgary and Winnipeg?

Lyle is not even 55 yet, he's had decades of experience as a CFL players, Asst. GM, GM, President, Assistant President, etc.

Yes, his record is littered with on-field failures and a total inability to hire the right coaches, assistants, etc. but he's been a consistent ticket and promotional salesman. This cannot be denied. In winnipeg he was boosted by some internet fawns & shills who know squat about football - but a lot about anger!

I wonder if Winnipeg tanks whether Lyle might re-apply as Bomber CEO/GM, replacing the entrails of the Buchko/Mack era.

Or if Ottawa needs a rabid tough-talking, salesman to fill their new fishbowl?

Perhaps Lyle has taken enough money from his previous employers to be set for life and sell memorabilia on ebay? He's probably tired of commentators like me illustrating his profound on-field power failures and extreme lack of football knowledge. THus, he might just stay out of the limelight until someone comes a beggin' with a high salary and huge signing bonus. Thats the way Lyle does business.

His job loss in Calgary was either a well orchestrated "firing" or the guy lost total confidence in himself and his ability to market football. I find the latter hard to believe.

But if guys like Tilman can re-surface, what about Bauer?

I do understand that one guy is a ticket salesman and the other is a guy who finds decent players and trades superstars. Do understand that. And Lyle doesn't have a criminal spot on his record like ET.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think your description of Bauer is too strong. The man is experienced running CFL teams. I think he will get another chance to run another team somewhere. Probably on the personnel side this time.
    It will be interesting to see if Lyle learned from his Winnipeg experience a la the Mike Kelly affair. Or if he even brings back the guy for a second go round.
    In everyday life, Lyle has never been arrested, charged or spent one minute in a court of law. As far as I know he's not a liar or cheat. He seems like a good guy. I understand that while with the Bombers, Lyle was active in the community. I don't know if that was the same here as he was only with the Stamps for a short time but it wouldn't have surprised me if he was in some way.
    Then there's Eric Tillman. We all believe that if Eric Tillman hadn't been who he was with the Riders, he'd have certainly gone to jail & that he used his position in the media in Regina to paint himself as a victim instead of the perpetrator. That is the thing I found the most repugnant about the man. having access to the media. The victim's family sure didn't have that opportunity & even if they did, weren't masters at it like Tillman was.
    He used the media by crying repeatedly, proclaiming his innocence, saying the truth would come out at his trial & trying to get the sympathy of the public as well as the jury before the trial even started. I found his whole performance disturbing & pathetic. Maybe what was more disturbing is how the media in Regina let him do just that & no one questioned his motives. Have we ever seen anyone charged by the police ever do that before? I know I never have.
    Like I said, to call Lyle "vermin" is strong language. I don't think he deserves that however you are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with it. As for Tillman? Well, if the shoe fits...Whole different story.

3. Jayman

Jayman Member

Lyle's "never alone" cancer care work in the Winnipeg community was spectacular.
    Unfortunately he appeared to fall in love with the high level cons who took hold of the team, and hold it still.
    Lyle made some moves (cue Bronko, stage left) that the bourgousie in charge of taking turns "running" the team didn't like.
    in The Peg, as long as you don't embarass your fawns you can pretty much do what you want (Sam Katz).
    Lyle was good until the red winers who squat the Board felt embarassed. Once the light shined on Lyle, he was toast.
    He's a good guy, knows football, and will re-surface. He probably doesn't need the coin and is always aware of his health so, my guess is a fly-in consultant in Sask. They have the coin and feel the heat.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The guy made mistakes. But vermin, he's not.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Read my orig. post gents, didn't refer to Lyle as vermin. I did refer to ET as vermin, then proceeded to compare the two as Tilman is back in, Bauer still in hiatus.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Totally agree with you as far as Lord L's work with cancercare.

However, he had total control of the fiefdom until the Maggot Kelly story broke (about Kelly striking his girlfriend/wife) and Lyle realized the gig was up, turned in his resignation and acted upon Ted Hellard's standing offer to come to Calgary.

Not having a winning organization plus the "Kelly Savalas" episode was a bad mix of fuel.

btw - I don't think he'll ever go to Sask'n unless its to replace Jim Hopson. Taman and Bauer have significant "issues".

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

well i certainly don't see him in montreal seeing as Doug Berry is now here. unless doug wants a shoeshine boy :p

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Does the Doogeyman still wear shoes, deuvy?:dodgy:

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

only when he's not throwing them at dinwiddie's head (3 INT??? to the Same guy???).

10. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

Love him or hate him, I saw Lyle at every home game wandering around talking to Fans.

11. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Never hated Lyle. he was an approachable exec with the Stamps. His last few years in Winnipeg managing that team were horrid. The firing of Doug Berry & the hiring of Mike Kelly. Any goodwill he had left with Bomber fans were used up after those 2 moves. he knew he had to leave after Kelly was arrested for domestic assault. A lot of fans were concerned that he might have been the heir apparent to Huff if he left or retired. And if Ted was still an owner that may have happened as he originally hired him.