News Top 20 eligible prospects for the 2017 CFL Draft.

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Seeker1, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

December, 2016, Rankings

1 (1)Justin Senior OL Mississippi State Montreal
    2 (10) Antony Auclair TE Laval Notre-Dame-des-Pins, Que.
    3 (5) Eli Ankou DL UCLA Ottawa
    4 (7) Rashaun Simonise REC Calgary Vancouver
    5 (11) Geoff Gray OL Manitoba Winnipeg
    6 (2) Kwaku Boateng DL Laurier Milton, Ont.
    7 (3) Danny Vandervoort REC McMaster Barrie, Ont.
    8 (6) Christophe Mulumba LB Maine Laval, Que.
    9 (13) Junior Luke DL Montreal Montreal
    10 (15) Mason Woods OL Idaho Port Coquitlam, B.C.
    11 (14) Faith Ekakitie DL Iowa Brampton, Ont.
    12 (8) Nathaniel Behar REC Carleton London, Ont.
    13 (9) Qadr Spooner OL McGill Brossard, Que.
    14 (18) Jean-Simon Roy DL Laval Quebec, Que.
    15 (–) Dariusz Bladek OL Bethune-Cookman Kissimmee, Fla.
    16 (–) Jordan Herman LB SFU Winnipeg
    17 (12) Robert Woodson LB Calgary Calgary
    18 (16) Nakas Onyeka LB Laurier Brampton, Ont.
    19 (17) Kay Okafor DL St. FX Enugu, Nigeria
    20 (–) Mitchell Picton REC Regina Regina
    The December rankings include six offensive linemen, five defensive linemen, four receivers, three linebackers, a defensive back and a tight end.

There are 17 universities represented on the list with three schools featuring multiple selections: Calgary (2), Laurier (2) and Laval (2). 10 U Sports schools and seven NCAA schools are represented on the list.

Three new prospects joined the Scouting Bureau rankings in December: Dariusz Bladek (No. 15), Jordan Herdman (No. 16) and Mitchell Picton (No. 20).

The CFL Scouting Bureau releases its rankings three times each year: in September, December and April.
    Link

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

From a Wpg BB point of view I'd be thrilled w/ TE Auclair and OL Geoff Gray w/ 1st & 6th picks. Senior looks like a lock to make an NFL practice roster - perhaps starting in as little as 2 years.
    Auclair's selection really depends on his speed regardless of hands. If he's a consistent 4.7/4.8 guy the bombers might take him ahead of Rashuan Simonese = who's more a deep WR w/ above average speed, don't know if he can do more than lip service blocking. Auclair is an above average blocker with the size to intimidate all but monster defenders.

Gray (if still available at Pick 6) would make an excellent 6th OL - but rather than putting him on the bench I'd rather see the bombers do something a bit more unconventional --- turn him into a rotational DT - especially if they think he's got enough aggression and power to thwart the middle. He could always be rotated back to the o-line in case of injury (Pee Neufeld is always a threat to get injured and Chungh might leave the bombers entirely when his contract is up)

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Bombers could also deal their #1 for a roster player and perhaps a 4th, 5th or 7th overall (depending on who the roster player is)
    Get OL Gray and DL Boateng with their own #6 plus whatever they get back in trade! Boateng is easily the top d-lineman available in the draft - and the bomber d-line is woefully weak.

4. Jayman

Jayman Member

Whoever they select i sure hope he show up and starts, a DL giving us another NI spot there might be the way romping' Rory comes out...

5. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Auclair is guy you wont see in Canada for awhile, if ever. He'll most likely be like a Linden Gaydosh, spend a few years down south and then emerge back in the CFL once the NFL options have dried up.

6. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

... and his physical health has been severely compromised?

7. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

From a Stampeder perspective....

You could forgive Canadian Football League scouts if the first thing they noticed about Mason Woods was his exceptional size.

At 6-foot-9, 320 pounds, the University of Idaho offensive lineman stands out for his sheer size. But after a strong career in the Sun Belt as a three-year starter with the Vandals, Woods — the 10th-ranked prospect in December’s CFL Scouting Bureau rankings — feels he has more than just size to offer a prospective employer.

“I want to prove to people that there’s a lot more to Mason Woods than a 6-foot-9 frame,” says the towering lineman out of Port Coquitlam, B.C. “I’m a fairly intellectual guy, I’m in the fittest shape possible and I’m extremely adaptable at multiple positions.”

In keeping with the theme of adaptability, Woods saw time at four of the five spots on the Vandal line over the course of his career — tackle in 2014, both tackle and guard in 2015 and full-time duties at strong guard this past season.

“Our coaching staff was very patient with me, coming to meetings early to help me nail things down during the transition,” explains Woods, ranked third amongst offensive linemen by CFL central scouting. “Within our system we switched sides, so where I was comfortable playing right tackle and left tackle, I’m now comfortable playing right and left guard as well.”

As a member of a strong offensive line which allowed the Vandal offence to flourish, Woods played a role in Idaho’s remarkable turnaround from 1-10 laughing-stock in 2014 to 8-4 Potato Bowl champions this past season.
    Link

8. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

CFL Draft 2017: Mock Draft Version 1.0 (from Bomber Buzz?)
    1:8 – Calgary Stampeders: TE Antony Auclair,??? Laval
    They’re astronomically loaded along the offensive line, with Canadians Pierre Lavertu, Spencer Wilson, Dan Federkeil, Shane Bergman, Karl Lavoie, Brad Erdos, Roman Grozman and Cam Thorn. Calgary’s in perfect position to invest in an NFL-bound player, and who better than Laval TE/SB Anthony Auclair, a truly unique prospect to the CFL Draft.

Auclair, who impressed at the East-West Shrine Game, possesses NFL-wanted TE size at 6’6″, 254-pounds. When watching him at the Shrine as well as during his time at Laval, I was shocked by just how comfortable and smooth he seemed running and catching the football. He’s going to get an NFL opportunity, but if he comes north, the Stamps will have a seriously interesting player on their hands. There’s truly no current CFLer to compare with Auclair – he’s a unicorn. I envision Auclair as an F-receiver that doesn’t need to be subbed out for a fullback in those personnel groupings. The Stamps would be able to get incredibly creative with their offense if they ever landed Auclair on a CFL contract.
    Link