Toronto pre-season

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, May 6, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So Toronto bumped their pre-season game to be an afternoon affair with students from elementary schools in attendance. Given that Argo pre-season games have been sub 15,000 for attendance over the past two years I think it's a great idea.

If done right it has potential to create 25,000 life long fans that'll remember their first game as being a fun affair. I hope they succeed!

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

On another thread, I posted my disagreement with doing this so I guess I'll stick to my guns & post the same here with maybe a different take.
    I think changing the time AFTER the Argos sold season tickets is a shoddy way to treat their fan base. Ninety per cent work during the day. If I bought season tickets & shelled out the money, I'd expect that the Argos would bend over backwards to make the game day experience even better than it should be, not worse. I would be very unhappy having to miss that game because I had to work.
    The other thing is, most kids won't ever become fans. Maybe a few of them. But they don't have the money to buy season tickets now beause they are too young & they don't care. The Argos need a fanbase NOW not 5. 10 or 15 years from now. Most students will treat this for what it is, a day off school. A field trip & won't give 2 hoots about it later.
    Never a good idea to mess with what little fanbase they have & the Argos did that.
    [hr]
    [hr]
    POINT/COUNTERPOINT!!! I like that, Rids!!!:D

3. Rids

Rids Member

I'll give reasons on why it's a positive:

First the walk up for a pre-season game is terrible. I did it once and was shocked at the ticket window when they wanted full retail for a pre-season game. Cost me $35 to sit up high at McMahon to see 4th string QBs duking it out. (I still did it but I know I'm in the vast minority) Toronto it's even worse. Crowds of 12,000 might look good for a U of Toronto Varsity Blues game but look awful for a televised CFL game. If nothing else the staff has to be there if there's 10 people or 40,000 so they might as well pack as many in as possible.

Second I believe most teams would say that your season tickets are for the regular season games and the pre-season is a freebie tossed in. If they don't market it that way they really should especially when it's widely known and understood it's not going to be a great game and will be fairly vanilla when it comes to the play calling so they don't tip their hand. Myself I'd call a double reverse on the first play and a flea flicker on the second just to have a little fun.

Third I think it'd be a waste if it was all the high schools sending their kids. That would likely turn into a gong show (although would be good on concession) and most would find a way to slip out early. With it being elementary aged kids I think it's fantastic. Old enough to remember it, young enough to stay in their seats, energized enough to cheer when the time calls for it and early enough in the season that if they can talk Ma and Pa into it they can take in another game or two or ten during the season.

Fourth it's an audience that isn't already saturated with the NFL propaganda. They don't play Madden yet (mostly), they don't know the differences between 4 downs and 3 downs, they are ripe for the picking to get them hooked on the Canadian rules. Hopefully when they see the NFL product later on in life they'll say "why aren't they passing more?".

I hope they load up each kid with a free t-shirt that has the 2012 schedule on it, a poster to go on their wall at home and a blue and white pom pom to remind them.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Has this is what the CFL has come to in Toronto? Marketing to eight year olds? Wow, sink the boat & put it somewhere else like Quebec City or Halifax if that's what football in Toronto is all about. The other thing is the season is too long with 18 games. Training camps used to open up in early July & the season started third week of July. Play a 16 game schedule & have the season over by November 30th. Starting a month earlier doesn't work...

5. Rids

Rids Member

Hook the kids and the parents will follow.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I tried that with my dad back in 1972 when I was 16. I tried to convince him to buy 2 Blue Bomber season tickets. At that time 2 seats on the 55 yard line at Winnipeg Stadium cost $110.00. He wanted no part of it. He told me to get a job. So, I did. First thing I did was save $110 & bought 2 season tickets... Fifty five yard line, East side, Section V Row 29, Seats 12 & 13. Had those 2 seats until after the 1989 season when I moved to Calgary in 1990. No way my father would splurge for something like that. I think things are different today.