News Tsoumpas Announces Retirement

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

OL Dimitri Tsoumpas has announced his retirement.

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

He will stay on with the Stamps as a strength and conditioning coach.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Official Stampeders Release

TSOUMPAS ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT
    Calgary Stampeders offensive lineman Dimitri Tsoumpas has announced his retirement as a player in the Canadian Football League.
    A four-time West Division all-star and a three-time CFL all-star, Tsoumpas will remain with the club as a strength and conditioning assistant.
    “I love football and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Stampeders, so this is a very difficult decision for me to make,” said Tsoumpas. “I’ve fully recovered from the concussion that I suffered last season but because of the lengthy and difficult recovery period, I just feel that I needed to err on the side of caution and put an end to my playing career.
    “As difficult as it is to retire as a player, I’m very grateful to the Stampeders for the chance to remain with the team and work in the field of strength and conditioning, which has been a longtime passion of mine and something I would like to be the focal point of my next career. I’m looking forward to this new chapter in my life.”
    Continue reading: http://stampeders.com/article/tsoumpas-announces-retirement

5. Vicki

Vicki Member

Shocker!!!

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure this decision was as massively difficult for Tsoumpas, a great talent still in his prime, as it was possible to be.

But health comes first.

A CFL player (even a great one) doesn't make an NFL income and Dmitri has to consider his ability to support himself for the rest of his life once his playing career comes to an end.

And concussions can limit more than a future ability to earn income. ;)

So he decided to quit while he was ahead...uh, no pun intended.

A terrific player who had to call it too soon.

I wish him well in coaching, if that's where he stays, or in any other endeavour where life may take him.

And, who knows?

If Dan Federkeil is any example, in a few years' time, it's possible that Dmitri makes a return to the playing ranks.

Hope springs eternal...:)

TM

oilpatchhilbily likes this.
  7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

All-star Calgary guard Dimitri Tsoumpas retires at 28, citing concussions
    Andrew Bucholtz

If further evidence was needed that concussionsare still a major issue for the CFL, Calgary Stampeders' Canadian offensive guard Dimitri Tsoumpas' retirement Wednesday can be added to the pile. Tsoumpas is at least the second player to retire this offseason in the wake of concussion problems, following legendary quarterback Anthony Calvillo, but unlike Calvillo, his retirement doesn't come after a long career. It's been an impressive one, as Tsoumpas was selected as a league all-star three times in his six seasons, but at just 28, he should have had plenty of good years left. Why did he decide to quit now? Well, according to the statement he released through the Stampeders, he's recovered from the concussion that forced him to miss most of the 2013 season, but the long and agonizing recovery process made him decide he didn't want to risk further injury:

Continue reading: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cf...tri-tsoumpas-retires-28-citing-205439509.html

8. Rids

Rids Member

Tim Brando had a very interesting guest on the air the other day. She was a lead researcher from Dallas dealing with concussions for the past 25 years. Anyhow part of her research group's findings was that you can repair the brain in ways that previously it was believed to be impossible. Part of the key is deep thinking. Going beyond problem solving thinking (which was long felt to be a way to recover from a head injury) but actually thinking about things like mysteries of the universe and putting those thoughts together in a progressive manner.

http://www.brainhealth.utdallas.edu/about_us/team/sandra_chapman

So everybody go think!

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member